Thread: Another reminder - don't skimp on safety equipment!!!

Default Another reminder - don't skimp on safety equipment!!!

STi totalled in barricade collision at Streets of Willow

The driver swerved to avoid some debris at about 80mph, lost control, and put the car head-on into a barricade. Both the driver and passenger were airlifted to the hospital with multiple injuries. The driver bent the steering wheel with his face, and has multiple facial fractures. He's been upgraded from "critical" to "serious" condition, and is out of the coma he was in. Unfortunately, he'll need a lot of facial reconstructive surgery in the future. The passenger submarined under the belts and broke her collarbone. She was found in the footwell.

Both occupants were wearing open-faced helmets and 2", 3-pt, Schroth "racing" (ricer) harnesses. The fabric on the harnesses stretched so much on impact that they "looked torn", according to one witness.

If you're going to take it to the track, please don't skimp on your safety equipment. It could be the most important purchase you'll ever make.
    Last edited by altiain; 07-08-2005 at 11:55 AM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

yeoch!

It also appears as if the driver yoinked out the airbag wheel for one with more buttons...... In this case that probably wans't such a wise move..

Are there "ratings" on Harness that we can look for?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Unhappy

Reading link after link... all I can say is "Wow!"

I'm suprised they survived at all... but sad how this could have been prevented with the correct safety gear and proper use of the same.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    If you're going to take it to the track, please don't skimp on your safety equipment. It could be the most important purchase you'll ever make.
    Amen to that. Hope they both make full recoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Hope they both make full recoveries.
    According to the lastest posts, the female passenger is out of the hospital with a broken collarbone.

The male driver is, from what was posted, still in a drug induced coma. Ugh.

Oh dear. Maybe I'd better figure out how to use those harness tabs on my rollbar after all.

S.

Not that it is a big difference, but werent they 4point harnesses? Bad bad wreck. Poor guy hit the only thing solid in the middle of the track.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Not that it is a big difference, but werent they 4point harnesses? Bad bad wreck. Poor guy hit the only thing solid in the middle of the track.

Yeah they were... apparently the "cheap" stuff...

Hmmm, wonder how big the law suit will be? Ouch!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Yeah, it just makes me wonder about this kind of stuff when I see pages upon pages of discount speed and saftey parts in magazines like Sport compact car, and Super Street. Whenever I get my car, It will be all top of the line saftey equipment and parts, nothing cheap.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

No one's mentioned it, so I will: why did he remove the airbag? Just so he could replace the steering wheel?

I'm not the world's biggest airbag fan (although I may be the world's biggest airbag ), but it would certainly have prevented this dude from eating his steering wheel. I think airbags do more harm than good in low speed collisions, but in a high speed wreck, I'd much rather have one.

By the way, I also realize that properly installed race safety equipment would have prevented many of his injuries. But he had the worst of both worlds: bad safety equipment and no airbag.

S.

^Also...Apparently he didnt even tighten his harness down at all, witnesses sait he was lazy & him & the girl hit the track with loose harnesses. I guess it was more comfortable that way...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    ^Also...Apparently he didnt even tighten his harness down at all, witnesses sait he was lazy & him & the girl hit the track with loose harnesses. I guess it was more comfortable that way...
    Not that I would wish those kind of injuries on anyone, but if you're just sitting there asking for it...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw