Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: August Southwest SCCA Divisional - Mineral Wells, 8/13-14

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Well guys how did it go???
    Man! What a blast. Two days, four runs each day, typical course length for C Stock was 85-86 seconds each day. The first day the course was more like a mini road course - lots of sweepers and semi-straights, and wide open with three third gear sections. We had a light on-and-off drizzle during our heat, which made things interesting. At the end of day 1, Tuan Nguyen (a very fast former S2000 driver out of Houston, iirc) was in the lead in Adrian Iley's 2001 MR-Spyder, with lugnutjon 20 thousandths back in 2nd place. Adrian was third, Chris Williams fourth, and I was 26 thousandths back from Chris in 5th place. In all, the top five spots in C Stock were separated by less than half a second!

We woke up to standing water on Sunday morning, dreading another day of damp conditions. Thankfully, by the time we ran in 3rd heat, the course was dry as a bone. The second day's course was tighter and more technical, a nice rhythm course with a wicked back straight full of varying offset gates. This course favored the five speeds - Chris Williams and I bounced the limiter five or six times, but never needed to shift. Unfortunately for Jon, his gearing forced him into five 3rd gear upshifts, which left him at a distinct disadvantage.

I had a blazing first run, good enough to put me up on the field by a over second and give me the overall lead. Unfortunately, Tuan woke up during second runs, took the lead (even though I had a faster 2nd run, Tuan's combined time was still quicker than me, as I started .45 seconds back from him on Day 2) and held onto it untl the end. Adrian came back during third runs and bumped me another spot, but I held onto that last trophy spot as Chris Williams coned away his last two runs. Jon faded back from 2nd to 5th with his gearing disadvantage on Day 2, finishing a good second and a half back from Tuan.

Thomas rocked in E Stock, taking a well-deserved 2nd place. BTW, the guy you lost to (David Hedderick) is one amazing driver, so don't sell yourself short on the difference between 1st & 2nd in class. You beat a lot of good drivers to get that spot.

Those of you who stayed away, and those of you who didn't make it (majik! ) really missed out. I had a great time - I raced hard against some really tough competition, I drank way too much with Spokes' Road Trip Racing Team (those guys can put it away! ), I was publicly heckled by Dan Pedroza for letting the Spyders win C Stock, and I still came home with a trophy spot. What more can you ask for in a weekend?
    Last edited by altiain; 08-14-2005 at 08:18 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

You let a MR2 take 1st and 2nd in CS. Gasp

Results Posted

Maybe there is something to this younger driver concept.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Thomas rocked in E Stock, taking a well-deserved 2nd place. BTW, the guy you lost to (David Hedderick) is one amazing driver, so don't sell yourself short on the difference between 1st & 2nd in class. You beat a lot of good drivers to get that spot.
    Thanks! It was really good to meet David, I learned a lot and consistently picked up time on the course by just listening to him talk about how he ran the course.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

There was a photographer out there over the weekend. Does anyone know where to find the photos?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123