Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good News: Honda Confirms New NSX In The Works

Default Good News: Honda Confirms New NSX In The Works

Acura to develop a replacement for aging NSX
    AUTOWEEK
    Posted Date: 7/14/05
    Acura is developing a new supercar to replace the current NSX, which ceases production at the end of 2005. Extensive retooling is needed to meet the more stringent 2006 emissions requirements for the U.S., Europe, and Asia.

The NSX was the first Japanese supercar. It was a hand-built, exotic, mid-engine sports car that sold more than 18,000 units worldwide during its 15 year production run.

“We are committed to having an ultra high-performance vehicle in the Acura lineup in the future,” said John Mendel, senior vice president of automobile operations. “It’s too early to comment on specifics, but the all-new model will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX.”

The NSX was the first production car to offer an all-aluminum body, chassis, and suspension and to utilize titanium connecting rods. It featured a transversely mounted dual overhead cam V-6 engine and the first Honda built road car to feature its race derived VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system.

I've always thought a used NSX would make a awesome second-hand purchase.

Maybe someday.

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 07-15-2005 at 02:45 PM.

They're cool, but rather dissapointing. Anybody want to be that the new car will be a gas/electric hybrid making about 400hp with AWD.

An NSX is disappointing how?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    “We are committed to having an ultra high-performance vehicle in the Acura lineup in the future,” said John Mendel, senior vice president of automobile operations. “It’s too early to comment on specifics, but the all-new model will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX.”
    Interesting. Mendel was quoted on a piece for USA Today on Wednesday concerning the NSX, and Autoweek failed to add the part where he said not to expect a new NSX anytime in the near future, however.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Interesting. Mendel was quoted on a piece for USA Today on Wednesday concerning the NSX, and Autoweek failed to add the part where he said not to expect a new NSX anytime in the near future, however.
    Ha ha. Way to go, Autoweek; the hype machine's in full gear.

S.

maybe this time they will give it a real engine, and make it fast for the money you spend.. SRT 4 stock can give that car a run for the money..

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    An NSX is disappointing how?

S.
    I think the last post just answered your question. Theres something wrong when a $20k econobox can outrun a $90k 'supercar'. It was always a supercar platform, just never had the supercar power.

it had good power in its day but today its way over due..

I drove a roots blown NSX once, 360 RWHP and it moved really nice..

Quote Originally Posted by Tool
    it had good power in its day but today its way over due..

I drove a roots blown NSX once, 360 RWHP and it moved really nice..
    Thats not bad at all. I would like to see a MINIMUM of 400-450whp on a new NSX.

thats more then a vett..

maybe this time they will give it a real engine, and make it fast for the money you spend.. SRT 4 stock can give that car a run for the money..

And I guess if you live your life a quarter mile at a time, that might be important.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

And I guess if you live your life a quarter mile at a time, that might be important.
    I think the point is that a "Supercar" is expected to do everything well.

A supercar should be able to beat a neon in a straight line and in the curves..
    I bet an STI or EVO could hand a NSX its ass in the curves too..

NSX is an over priced under powered neat looking car that needs more of about everything..

A supercar should be able to beat a neon in a straight line and in the curves..
    I bet an STI or EVO could hand a NSX its ass in the curves too..
    And this would be your opinion after driving both of them, or reading about them in Super Street?

I've driven an STi. I've driven a '94 NSX. For the track, I'd take the NSX - it's just more of a pure driver's car. The STi is a very impressive beast, but it lacks the grace and fluidity of an NSX. The NSX flows just from corner to corner like water in a stream.

Cars like the NSX - and the Miata, for that matter - are for people that realize that real driver's cars often tend to be more than the sum of their parts or their spec sheets. Cars like the SRT-4 tend to be for bench racers - people who like to brag about horsepower and magazine quarter-mile times, but who wouldn't know a heel-toe downshift from a hole in the wall.
    Iain

And this would be your opinion after driving both of them, or reading about them in Super Street?
    Super Street... Damn.

Iain, you're on the smackdown roll...

Chuck

I know what you mean, the NSX drives amazing as does the Miata..
    But still that car costs 40k more then it should..

but who wouldn't know a heel-toe downshift from a hole in the wall.

Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Yeah im a bone head that likes to go fast in a straight line..

Yeah im a bone head that likes to go fast in a straight line..
    So why not stick to owning a Mustang? You'll never go very fast in a straight line in a Miata without spending a whole lot of cash.

I want a Miata so I can drive to work and not spend all my money on gas..
    But I guess when I start to mod that will change oh well..

Basicly im looking for a fun car thats cheap and easy to work on..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast