Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments on this miata?

Default Comments on this miata?

Hi all,

As some of you know, I got rid of my 96 Miata R for a RX-8. But the miata bug has not left me since, so I have been looking at Miataes. This look like a decent base 96 Miata,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller does stated several oil leaks and coolant leak, how could I distinguish them as bad hoses/seals or something more severe? Does each body panel has VIN sticker if it has not been replaced? What's some other good ways to look for body damages? Any general comment on the car from the description and pictures? I am a total noob when it comes to used car Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alan

If it was black I'd say go for it!

It's a nice looking ride... you're right, it's probably got a couple of bad seals and perhaps hoses need changing. But for a little maintanence you might score a sweet deal.

Chassis Designer

If you dont mind fixing the hoses and seals then id go for it its a clean car.. But if you do you HAVE to take that hideous Sewell tag off..
    1990 Red Turbo, Granbury TX..

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Seems like a good deal for the car. The inside of the hood, front fenders, trunk lid should all have VIN stickers from the factory on them. Any body panels with the 'Dot R' (or something like that) stickers are replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Seems like a good deal for the car. The inside of the hood, front fenders, trunk lid should all have VIN stickers from the factory on them. Any body panels with the 'Dot R' (or something like that) stickers are replacements.
    Don't forget the doors, the vin is on a sticker about a centimeter wide and an inch and half long. Looks silver and white. CAS o ring would be my first oil leak to look for. Easy and cheap to replace. Has the timing belt been done, it's time for maintenence like that now too.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

It's sitting at Sewell Lexus of Fort Worth, why don't ya go take a peek at it!

Like Sharpie & Sammm said it will have a VIN sticker on every panel!

Would a base model have a Torsen??? That would be on my must have list if you want to use it for AX.

No torsen. Dimples under the front license plate, but for 80k miles I would certainly consider it......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    No torsen. Dimples under the front license plate, but for 80k miles I would certainly consider it......
    If you get it for a low price, you could add a torsen.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    If you get it for a low price, you could add a torsen.
    With a $3,900 "Buy it Now" I'm thinking Sewell's reserve on it may not be in the low price range.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    With a $3,900 "Buy it Now" I'm thinking Sewell's reserve on it may not be in the low price range.
    I was thinking it is around a $3000 reserve. Add $1000 for a used torsen and misc. repairs and you have an 80k mile 96 with torsen for $4000. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Show up at Sewell with $3K in hand and see what happens. You have nothing to lose.

Show up at Sewell with $3K in hand and see what happens. You have nothing to lose.
    They'd be idiots to turn down a customer with cash in hand. Especially on a vehicle that only serves a niche market.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    They'd be idiots to turn down a customer with cash in hand.
    Only if that cash in hand exceeds what they paid for the car, if they got $3,250 in it chances are pretty good they will not take $3,000.

But it's defiantly worth a try If you want the car!

Only if that cash in hand exceeds what they paid for the car, if they got $3,250 in it chances are pretty good they will not take $3,000.
    Rather than move inventory? All those cars sitting on that lot are nothing more than overhead... if they don't move it now they'll take a bath on it when they sell it to a wholesaler.

Rather than move inventory? All those cars sitting on that lot are nothing more than overhead... if they don't move it now they'll take a bath on it when they sell it to a wholesaler.
    I can tell your not in sales, in sales the primary focus is to make money, not just clear the lot at a loss....

But to review it's defiantly worth a try to offer them cash If you want the car!

I can tell your not in sales, in sales the primary focus is to make money, not just clear the lot at a loss....
    Obviously I'm not in sales, but I predict they're gonna take a loss on that little Miata anyhow. I can see them making their money back on newer, more practical vehicles. The market for an older Miata is a small group. They'd be smart to lose some here and make it back where they can.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'd be shocked if a Lexus dealer paid top dollar for a 10 year old trade-in (not to mention the profit on the replacement vehicle they sold). I bet they have well under $3K in it.

Obviously I'm not in sales, but I predict they're gonna take a loss on that little Miata anyhow. I can see them making their money back on newer, more practical vehicles. The market for an older Miata is a small group. They'd be smart to lose some here and make it back where they can.
    Miatas sell pretty good, and I'd be willing to bet the folks at Sewell may have a pretty good grasp on what the market will pay for this car, otherwise it would have already gone to the wholesaler.

I'm sure the break even point is just over what the wholesaler has already offer on the car, which is normally more that a dealer gives you or I for a trade in!

I'd be shocked if a Lexus dealer paid top dollar for a 10 year old trade-in (not to mention the profit on the replacement vehicle they sold). I bet they have well under $3K in it.
    Good point... I sincerely doubt they gave top dollar in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast