Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCCA this Sunday (8/21/2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    To tell you the truth we usually dont get started until a little after 10 or 11. I would recommend sleeping in. Because before that there is nothing but people changing their tires. Speaking of sleeping in, Ill be at Mcdonalds, 7am! See you guys there.
    I wouldn't .... Since we are going to try and get this show on the road on time. this time....

... I hope

John

Is there a list of what classes will be in which heats yet, or not untill sunday morning. I have some friends coming to watch, and I dont want them to have to show up at like 10 and stay all day if I'm running last heat.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I've never called in sick without being sick. Looks like I'll miss this one

Next time guys!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey
    I've never called in sick without being sick.
    I salute your integrity! I'd applaud it, but there is no applause Smilie

My mistake . . .
    Last edited by onething; 08-20-2005 at 05:02 PM.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    So, who all will be there. And will there be the usual 7am Mickey D's breakfist? I will be onething's tire warmer this weekend.

I think I'll have breakfast at Einstein's around the corner from McD.

McD x2 in one day = more than I care to enjoy

For what it's worth, POS concurred.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    I think I'll have breakfast at Einstein's around the corner from McD.

McD x2 in one day = more than I care to enjoy

For what it's worth, POS concurred.
    Yep I may get it to-go so I can see all the Special kids at McD's!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Yep I may get it to-go so I can see all the Special kids at McD's!
    I forgot about einsteins, I liked it much better. ILl be there.

Great event, started on time, decent course, four runs, done by 130PM...Only 120 drivers, but hey, it went very well I thought. Congrats to Jon...he kicked a butt or two...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Did he ever. Congrats to Kestrel as well - for almost catching lugnutjon and for royally kicking my ass.

Not a bad course, and heading home by 2pm was definitely a bonus given yesterday's heat.

Other than that... I guess I just can't rouse much enthusiasm for Pennington.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well you know we here at MME have to complain. I think the first heat was around 1:30-2:00 hours. The second was around :45 minutes. The third was almost quicker. I just would like to see them a little more balanced. I am not going to complain about having to work the first heat, it was the heat that I was driving in that was the problem. I barely had a chance to get out of the car and adjust tire pressure before it was time to go again. Other than that, fun course and getting home at 2:30 was very very nice. Especially since I noticed the temp here at home went up another 5-6 degrees before 4pm.

I barely had a chance to get out of the car and adjust tire pressure before it was time to go again.
    I agree, onething and I played musical chairs our last runs, including a "hot swap" with him being the last car on course. That, and the friends that came to watch me were told a time when the third heat is normally run and showed up in time to see us pack up the trailer. oh well.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Its amazing how fast an SCCA event will go when no one shows up!

The first heat was long, but remember the kids carts took up some of the time in first heat. I lucked out and actually had a work assignment under the trees in corner 3, which was awesome!

Thankfully second heat went real fast, since I didn't drive worth a flip.... That I didn't get the e-mail letting me know everyone in ES was to show up with brand new 710's.

Well you know we here at MME have to complain. I think the first heat was around 1:30-2:00 hours. The second was around :45 minutes. The third was almost quicker. I just would like to see them a little more balanced. I am not going to complain about having to work the first heat, it was the heat that I was driving in that was the problem. I barely had a chance to get out of the car and adjust tire pressure before it was time to go again. Other than that, fun course and getting home at 2:30 was very very nice. Especially since I noticed the temp here at home went up another 5-6 degrees before 4pm.

I do try to keep the heats reasonably balanced. (actually try to taper down so the last heat is a little shorter in the heat of the day). A few things conspired to unbalance things for this event.
    1) normally I try to run the junior karts between 1st and 2nd heat, swapping workers during the kids karts. this lets me balance things by changing workers earlier or later depending on first and second heat size. Since Eddie was out of town Janis was running Jr Karts short handed and requested to run them first. Which made first a larger heat.
    2) On days with nonfavorable weather (too damn hot or high likelihood of rain) we end up with a higher number of no-shows, which can skew the heats. I haven't had a chance to see the results and compare to worker list to see what the actuals where.

I do apologize to the third heat folks about being rushed at the end. I didn't realize the grid guys got that far behind. Part of the issues there were folks who went off for lunch 2nd heat not realizing how quick the 2nd heat was running. I also probably need to gauge how many two driver cars are in each heat and see if I can balance that out better.

I do think several things ran pretty well on Sunday.
    1) We started on time.
    Novice walk through - On time
    Drivers meeting - On time
    First car out (kart out) - early
    2)Good course
    Fun course with reasonable overlap
    3) No equipment issues
    4) No Results problems

I was tempted to argue for 5 runs in the morning, but when it was already too damn hot before 9, I decided against that.

Regards

John

Quote Originally Posted by JStankus
    I do try to keep the heats reasonably balanced. (actually try to taper down so the last heat is a little shorter in the heat of the day). A few things conspired to unbalance things for this event.
    1) normally I try to run the junior karts between 1st and 2nd heat, swapping workers during the kids karts. this lets me balance things by changing workers earlier or later depending on first and second heat size. Since Eddie was out of town Janis was running Jr Karts short handed and requested to run them first. Which made first a larger heat.
    2) On days with nonfavorable weather (too damn hot or high likelihood of rain) we end up with a higher number of no-shows, which can skew the heats. I haven't had a chance to see the results and compare to worker list to see what the actuals where.

I do apologize to the third heat folks about being rushed at the end. I didn't realize the grid guys got that far behind. Part of the issues there were folks who went off for lunch 2nd heat not realizing how quick the 2nd heat was running. I also probably need to gauge how many two driver cars are in each heat and see if I can balance that out better.

I do think several things ran pretty well on Sunday.
    1) We started on time.
    Novice walk through - On time
    Drivers meeting - On time
    First car out (kart out) - early
    2)Good course
    Fun course with reasonable overlap
    3) No equipment issues
    4) No Results problems

I was tempted to argue for 5 runs in the morning, but when it was already too damn hot before 9, I decided against that.

Regards

John
    I have to admit that the unbalance was the only problem. Other than that everything did go very smoothly including the things you mentioned. Like I said, you know we have to complain about something...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Thankfully second heat went real fast, since I didn't drive worth a flip.... That I didn't get the e-mail letting me know everyone in ES was to show up with brand new 710's.
    Excuses, excuses! And to think, you tried to get me to buy victos earlier this year!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Excuses, excuses! And to think, you tried to get me to buy victos earlier this year!
    Sounds like they all had tire / cord issues in Mineral Wells for Divisionals and decided to go the 710 route, sadly I still have a few more runs left in my victos!

I enjoyed the event quite a lot. Started early. Ran smoothly and quickly (no "challenges"). Ended by 2:00pm. I trophied. What more can I want (OK, a first place trophy would be nice...)?

I was one of those 3rd heat workers who was "late" because the 2nd heat ran so quickly. I put late in quotation marks because I actually wasn't late, although they were screaming bloody murder for us third heat workers. I arrived and they were still running the 4th runs of heat #2, so I actually worked longer than I was obligated to. I don't mind, but I hate gettin' yelled at for something I didn't do (e.g. showing up late to my work assignment).

Anyway, don't worry too much about the unbalanced heats. After all, how many SCCA events run with only 115 participants? Well done once again OzCop and the rest of the SCCA gang!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Iain, I agree with having difficulty in getting excited about pennington field. But I have to admit, besides the last ER event, and the FSAE event, the courses we've had this year have been quite nice. They've all been unique, fast, technical, and more importantly fun.

Thank you Phil for designing such kick ass courses. I had fun auto-xing my first RWD car. First time I've lost a local event in 7 or 8 events. And I think it was the most fun I've had during that time as well.

EDIT: Also, a few times are wrong, as 1 second was added for penalty's. I noticed it last night as I was writing the report.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12