Thread: Power Slot Rotors?

Default Power Slot Rotors?

Anyone using these? I am probably going to look into upgrading brakes in February - March and they look like a nice solution.

If they suck, are there any other recommendations towards upgrading the brake system in a way that won't shatter my wallet too badly?
    November 12, 2005 - A new beginning
    Devil: 1999 Brilliant Black NB - Base Edition - Stock Spec

AIM ID: ZeroXR13mg
    http://zeroxr.com

The Miata's brakes are usually considered very very good. Especially for a car with anything close to stock power levels. I know alot of the autoXers, me included are even running OEM pads. If you ever want to come play autoX, the brakes would move you into an impossible class. Even on the street, unless you want the look they are fairly useless. Others will be able to give more detail, but I seem to remember a story about Porsche. The engineers wanted to use solid disks because of their sturdiness and their adequate performance. The marketing folks made them use cross-drilled rotors because they wanted to be able to show off the "race-bred" look. Id save my money.

Cool, I'll probably just leave the rotors alone in that case. Thanks for saving me the cash, Majik!

EvilSpeeder posted a huge debate on the whole smooth/cross-drilled/slotted brake rotors rumors over at DallasImports.net a while back debunking the whole "cross drilled is the best for allowing the pads to breath instead of gassing". Cross drilling is pretty much a big no due to compromising brake rotor integrity, though slotting has had a hit or miss situation on the integrity.

Default rotors

I got this from www.miatamania.com
    The reason i went for this is because i really needed to replace my rotors and i didn't want to go back to the stock ones. I've never heard this squeal when it rains and i don't have anything to complain about except for the price. I'm sure if you look around you'll find them cheaper.

10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

As for integrity, I never had a problem with PowerStop cross-drilled rotors on my Grand Cherokee... Bought the vehicle at 65k, put rotors on at 95k and 120k due to warping issues. The Jeep mechanics I know (including the one I trust!) says they do that like clockwork. I put the PowerStop rotors on at 120k and they were good until the Jeep was donated to the Can Academy at 223k.

They do have to be done right. You don't want one drilled through a vane and the holes need to be chamfered.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    As for integrity, I never had a problem with PowerStop cross-drilled rotors on my Grand Cherokee...
    CM... he is asking about the PowerSlot rotors, a different animal than the PowerStops. I have them on my car. I got them when I needed new rotors, and I thought I might as well spend a few dollars more for the bling factor. They seem to work just as good as OEM, but any difference one way or the other is too small for this layman to notice. I do get a lot of positive comments on them, but I am not sure I would do it again. If I am going to spend more that the cost of OEM, I think in the future I would want to get some added performance for my money.

Kakkyo, give Eddie at Adrenaline Racing a call and see what would work best for your car and driving style:

http://adrenalineracing.com/index.ph...5ba56fd84d51d8

Tell him that Thomas from Texas sent you.

I want to give their autoX package a try when my current setup craps out.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Im going Brembo blanks to replace my warped fronts whenever I have the $$ & am not paying off some stupid ticket or something.

Back in the Civic days they were considered the best pick for autocross due to being OEM quality with better than stock cooling fins. I would assume the quality would be the same on the Miata part, & hell theyre ~25 bucks at the NOPI rice shop.

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/...20Miata%201994
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I had the PowerSlots on all 3 of my Miata's.... the biggest difference w/ them is that first time hitting the brakes in the rain. I always had a problem with the stock brakes when they were wet, the initial bite on them sucked (IMO), even w/ different pads. Not so with the PowerSlots...

The last PowerSlots I bought, I got the fronts for like $60 shipped off of a guy on eBay (they were used... for about 10k miles or so). I couldn't pass that kind of deal up

And Mouglie... nice Saints quote in your sig
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Default ax

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    And Mouglie... nice Saints quote in your sig
    aigh, lol...
    hmm that autoX deal seems good, anyone ever seen some cross drilled rotors break in any competitions? Just wondering?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    anyone ever seen some cross drilled rotors break in any competitions? Just wondering?
    Cross Drilled might be ok for autox because you are on course no longer than a minute or a little more. I would not want to do any track days with those rotors. They are more for looks. If you are looking for performance, cross drilled are a waste of money IMO.
    Last edited by jolberry; 12-07-2005 at 07:15 PM.
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Kakkyo, give Eddie at Adrenaline Racing a call and see what would work best for your car and driving style:

http://adrenalineracing.com/index.ph...5ba56fd84d51d8

Tell him that Thomas from Texas sent you.

I want to give their autoX package a try when my current setup craps out.
    BTW, I forgot to mention that Eddie gives a 10% discount for miata.net members.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Freakin' sweet..!

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    Cross Drilled might be ok for autox because you are on course no longer than a minute or a little more. I would not want to do any track days with those rotors. They are more for looks. If you are looking for performance, cross drilled are a waste of money IMO.
    I know of a Miata that cracked a cross-drilled rear rotor on an autocross course...
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    aigh, lol...
    hmm that autoX deal seems good, anyone ever seen some cross drilled rotors break in any competitions? Just wondering?
    I would especially recommend against not using cross drilled. My ::Spiderma senses are telling me you are looking for the best deal. This means that (and it may be the case with expensive sets too) they take a stock blank and drill holes in it with a drillpress. This is very bad for the rotor as it isnt designed with these holes in mind. It can lead to cracking, and even massive rotor failure. Not worth the looks in my mind. Just get a set of stock blanks. Brembo units are on Ebay occasionaly. Remember you get what you pay for and brakes are worth paying.