Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reassembly day.... today...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Every time I turn around I have to buy more tools! I have a collection of torque wrenches now... from 40 in-lbs to 150 ft-lbs.

RJ
    Did you know they make adjustable torque wrenches?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Did you know they make adjustable torque wrenches?
    Yup! Only adjustable for a certain range... and the in-lbs one didn't go low enough so I had to go buy a $75 Craftsman one...

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Talking Miata

I can go help you do some wrenching if that'll help... set up a day and have several miatas over...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    I can go help you do some wrenching if that'll help... set up a day and have several miatas over...
    Thanks Mouglie,

The Reassembly Day was 9/5... She's running now. I have a few small things left to do and hope to have time one night this week to git-r-done.

To Do List:

1. Get and install 2 transmission bolts
    2. Remove and reweld the nut on the transmission bracket for exhaust downpipe
    3. Fill the transmission with gear oil (Mobil 1!!)
    4. Fix the temp & gas gauges
    5. Get 1 bolt/nut and donut gasket installed on the front of the cat to fix the leak
    6. Time the car
    7. Get & install the passenger turn signal lens

That's everything I can think of off hand. Titus offered the use of his timing light. I think I'll take him up on it.

I'll take it to the muffler shop for items 2 & 5. (I don't have a lift or a welder to do #2. A new nut was welded on the bracket by a friend but it's not at the right angle to meet the bolt straight.)

Once it's done it'll be time to get it inspected.

RJ

I don't have many pictures of the work done so far since I didn't want to get my digital camera all nasty/greasy, but I did have some and set up a cardomain page.

RJ

Moving this from Impromptu Events to Miata Tech!

Thank you please drive thru!

Thanks Mick!

Interesting write up none the less.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

WOOHOO!!!

OK... I got off my arse and jacked up the car tonight... drained what little tranny oil remained, cleaned the fill & drain plugs, and filled 'er up with fresh Mobil 1. She fired up with some hesitation and I took her for a spin around the cul-de-sac!

I have new plugs and will put them in and take out those crappy Bosch platinum plugs. They are gapped WAY large and besides, I've NEVER had them run worth a crap in ANY car I've ever put 'em in. I gave up years ago on those.

So I'll be going to the junkyards tomorrow to find the elusive passenger side turn signal housing (unless someone wants to loan me one for a day hehehehe), drive her over to get the exhaust leak fixed, get her registered, and then get her inspected.

FYI: If you want to do a 1 man fill on the transmission then get some 5/16" clear tubing from O'Reilly Auto (they don't carry it at VatoZone), pull the shift boots, and snake it down the tunnel and deep into the transmission... That way you can put the car on the ground and fill up the transmission from inside the car.

And thanks guys for all the offers of help on the timing light... I decided to fork out the cash and buy one so I'll have it on hand.

RJ
    Last edited by channelmaniac; 09-15-2005 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    . . .get her registered, and then get her inspected.
    Just a small detail... You need to get her inspected first (and ask for a green sheet) THEN you can get her registered....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Just a small detail... You need to get her inspected first (and ask for a green sheet) THEN you can get her registered....
    Yep... I hated the run-around I got when we got here from CA. No drivers license until you register a car. You want to register that? You need to get it inspected first. You want an inspection? We need proof of TEXAS insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Yep... I hated the run-around I got when we got here from CA. No drivers license until you register a car. You want to register that? You need to get it inspected first. You want an inspection? We need proof of TEXAS insurance.
    It is a rather convoluted system... but you should've been able to get a driver's license without having a car.

Yeah, my girlfriend's cousin just got his liscence with no car.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I have some turn signals you can borrow but of course I'm up in McKinney.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    It is a rather convoluted system... but you should've been able to get a driver's license without having a car.
    For some, but not for all...

Quote Originally Posted by www.txdps.state.tx.us/
    I am new to Texas, what do I need to do in order to get a Texas license?
    New residents previously licensed in another state:
    • Proof of Identity. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.24.
    • Proof of Social Security Number. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.42, Texas Transportation Code 521.044.
    • Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle. Texas Transportation Code 521.143.
    • Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office.
    • Pay the required fee. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.40, Texas Transportation Code 521.421.
    • Pass the vision exam. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.51, Texas Transportation Code 521.161.
    • Application must include photograph and thumbprints; however, thumbprints are not included on the driver license. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.44, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.45, Texas Transportation Code 521.142.
    • If you have a VALID out-of-state license in your possession, please bring it to the driver license office to surrender. Texas Transportation Code 521.182.

Chassis Designer

That is absurd that they would tell you that you must have a registered car before obtaining a driver's license..
    1990 Red Turbo, Granbury TX..

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen1990
    That is absurd that they would tell you that you must have a registered car before obtaining a driver's license..
    You may want to read the post directly above yours.

Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle.

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Ah oops, I was just kidding then
    1990 Red Turbo, Granbury TX..

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Nah... it is still absurd. Let's say I have 2 homes, one in CA and one in TX. I spend only 2 months a year in CA, but I can't survive there without a car. I spend 10 months a year in TX where I rent a car in the rare case I need it...the public transportation is sufficient . I'm pretty sure I would need to be licensed in TX for residency reasons, but have my car registered in CA to keep the CHP happy. I'd be screwed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast