Thread: WTF 2003 Expedition

Default WTF 2003 Expedition

So I'm driving into work this AM in my Expedition, doing about 45 mph and she just shuts off.... Electrical power stayed on radio and everything stayed on, and I could get the engine to crank but it would not fire. Screwed around for about 20 minutes checking fuses and connectors and nothing, she will crank but she will not start.....

Pull out the owners manual and read about a fuel pump cutoff switch in the back, give it a push and she starts right up, go about 1/2 mile and she dies again.

I'm thinking this safety switch is the culprit, but how do I confirm it's the problem. Hate to throw $$$ and parts into a lease vehicle that is leaving me soon.

Could be a faulty switch, or it could be that the fuel pump is on its last legs, and that toggling the switch jolted it back to life for a couple of minutes.

I had the fuel pump on my old Town Car fail (in 118 degree heat between Phoenix and LA; don't ask). Symptoms were exactly as you describe. Of course, that car was 15 years old and had 140,000 miles on it, so I forgave its fuel pump failure. To have it happen on a 3 year old Expedition is

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    To have it happen on a 3 year old Expedition is

S.
    With just 37,000 miles on it....... It's enought to piss off the Pope!

Have you driven a Ford Lately? Well I tried but it will not start!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    With just 37,000 miles on it....... It's enought to piss off the Pope!

Have you driven a Ford Lately? Well I tried but it will not start!
    Let me guess... 36k mile Warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Let me guess... 36k mile Warranty?
    We have a winner!

I finally got it to run again to get it to the world headquarters; it ran for about 5 minutes before I shut it off.

It has kicked up a check engine light, so I guess that's a good sign. Well at least it may help me determine what is dying......

You don't have to have warranty coverage for the term of the lease?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    You don't have to have warranty coverage for the term of the lease?
    Nope Warranty is 3 years 36,000 miles, the lease is 3 years 45,000 miles. I could have paid extra for an extended warranty but chose to skip it like I have done on my last 3 lease vehicles.

Its not equiped with any immobilizer that might be going crazy is it? Is this fuel cut-off a safety device or security device?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater
    Its not equipped with any immobilizer that might be going crazy is it? Is this fuel cut-off a safety device or security device?
    Figure it's issue has something to do with the Fuel pump shut off switch, since once you reset it the truck will run. There is also a relay that controls the fuel pump, I'm going to switch it with another relay and see if the problem moves.

Figure it's issue has something to do with the Fuel pump shut off switch, since once you reset it the truck will run. There is also a relay that controls the fuel pump, I'm going to switch it with another relay and see if the problem moves.
    I'll be holding my breath.

S.

Update have run it about 150 miles and it hasn't missed a beat..... The check engine light is on but other than that it doesn't seem to be having any issues.

Figure I'll keep my cell phone charged and see if it wants to have a repeat performance anytime soon. I’m just not in the mood to read “unable to replicate customer complaint.” on a service bill.

I’m just not in the mood to read “unable to replicate customer complaint.” on a service bill.
    You'd think that the ECU would log all these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    You'd think that the ECU would log all these issues.
    Yea figure I'll swing it by A Vatozone on the way home.....