Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $2 - RPM mod crystal

Default $2 - RPM mod crystal

well i ordered some crystals from digikey, got raped on shipping and handling, so i ordered extra's to spread the love. i ordered 10 - 4.4mhz crystals, 5 - 4.9 and 5 -5.06 crystals. $2 make you holler. I will mail them to your house...

the 4.4 raise the rev limit 10%(7600), 4.9/5.0 raise it 20% (effectivley eliminating it)

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=145076

here is the thread on m.net discussing...

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Chris,

I have a professional soldering station at home that can do surface mount too... If you need someone to replace the crystal for you, just holler.

Also, Tanner's over in Carrollton or Mouser (www.mouser.com) may be easier than Digi-Key or other places. Mouser has a warehouse down in Mansfield so the parts get to you VERY quick.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Very interesting thread. I may have to try this....for testing use only.......of course!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I'd be all over that if I wasn't in E-stock.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I guess this means they'll need to pop a scanner on the OBD-II Spec cars to see if they can communicate with 'em... It sounds like another method to cheat.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I'd be all over that if I wasn't in E-stock.
    You are such a !

So how many more RPM could you spin the motor safely before you move into the motor of the month club??

Well I installed the 4.43 crystal in my 00 and it bumped the redline to about 7700-7800. I can get to about 62-63mph in second gear now...

I couldnt wait till friday, so I went by Tanner Electronics and picked up a couple of crystals. Thanks for the heads up on mouser.com! I'm always soldering something...

Chris
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    Well I installed the 4.43 crystal in my 00 and it bumped the redline to about 7700-7800. I can get to about 62-63mph in second gear now...
    I get what the crystal does, but my question is how fast can you spin the motor before you could encounter catastrophic consequences?

Well odds are that the engineers at Mazda built a "safety cushion" for the engine with the current red line.... I like to think of this as trimming the safety cushion. Some people like more cushion, I guess you could put a 3.8mhz crystal in and lower your redline....
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Anyone know if this is CSP legal? I could see it being an advantage on some courses where you are right on the edge of getting into 3rd gear. There was a thread about this on the board a week or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Anyone know if this is CSP legal? I could see it being an advantage on some courses where you are right on the edge of getting into 3rd gear. There was a thread about this on the board a week or so ago.
    Yes. Rev limit is free in SP.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Arrow Crystals

Loren speaks like a mad man, This surely got my interest.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    Well odds are that the engineers at Mazda built a "safety cushion" for the engine with the current red line.... I like to think of this as trimming the safety cushion. Some people like more cushion, I guess you could put a 3.8mhz crystal in and lower your redline....
    Way back in the early 90's, after the short nose crank was fixed, Miata Mag said the bottom end was good for 8000RPM. I believe 'em............ :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

The saying "tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch" comes to mind. Now we just need a volunteer....

Hey Bean... we need to "inspect" your ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    The saying "tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch" comes to mind. Now we just need a volunteer....

Hey Bean... we need to "inspect" your ECU.
    I think we should stick with Kags' ECU... he's done plenty of experimenting for the rest of us!

Although if it really works I wouldn't mind doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I think we should stick with Kags' ECU... he's done plenty of experimenting for the rest of us!
    While Kags is the man when it comes to testing lubrication limits, this test is really about wiring. You are the wiring harness expert. We need you to do some soldering for the better good of all Miatafiles. :viking:

I pulled the ecu last night and put a switch with a stock 4.0 crystal and a 4.43 crystal in, and can swap back and forth with the toggle switch. Figured this was a good idea, b/c of smog and such.

Chris
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

For TCB, you can always solder some single socket pins in the board and plug the crystal in...

That way you can put a small hole in the top cover & change out the crystals at will... and play around with lots of different values.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So how many more RPM could you spin the motor safely before you move into the motor of the month club??
    Not sure if I want to try this one. I'm already a member of the motor a year club!
    Motor #1 - short nose crank failure
    Motor #2 - flash flood = water in cylinders then crack

Of course the last time I was at Hallet and MSR, I could've used a few extra rpm just to stay off the rev limiter.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast