Thread: BMW 6/26/04

Default BMW 6/26/04

I saw this mentioned on an email list. A BMW event for the 26th. Is anyone going? Saturday events are the best for me. Dont you have to be a member?

It could happen...

You can attend one BMW event per year as a non-member. If you decide to join, you can do so up until about 4 a.m. Saturday morning and get your confirmation number over the web.

Is anyone else considering coming to the event? I have heard there are only 20 or so registered. Probably a nice quick event.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Is anyone else considering coming to the event?
    My car is going to be in Justin having a new clutch installed.

I have heard there are only 20 or so registered. Probably a nice quick event
    The BMW events do not require online registration. While 20 may be registerred, 75 may show up. That's how it happened last time.

I'll probably skip this event due to some highly questionable safety issues. But, the course layout was good and fast- it seemed proper and non-quirky.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    I'll probably skip this event due to some highly questionable safety issues.
    Would you like to share with the rest of the class Mr. joe.MIATA

What was the issue???

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    I'll probably skip this event due to some highly questionable safety issues.
    Would you like to share with the rest of the class Mr. joe.MIATA

What was the issue???
    - Many drivers/riders sporting flip-flops (seems like a small issue, but I can see throttle problems ocurring)
    - Many riders being used as outside-the-car camera mounts.
    - wreckless driving throughout the paddock...slight chaos
    - Of course, there was the dodge neon that went 4 wheels off the pavement into the ditch at about 30 mph.

But you guys have had some issues of late at more recent events......

That is true, now that I remember the last BMW event I went to. The people flying through tha paddock flashing lights and honking horns as I pulled out of my parking space. I did do it to be obnoxious, but the fool was going 30 or so coming straight off the exit of the course with no braking.

I went to the event. Think I was the only Miata there?? They moved the starting point to where they normally finish. That was a good safety improvement. The bad part they put the finish where they normally start. That makes you head right towards the pits with little shut down room. Well to my surprise no big problems, BMW's have good ABS brakes. But I am sure a lot of people lifted or braked before the finish lights. (one driver still took out a finish light) They need to invest in another longer timing cord so they have more options in setting up start finish lines. I did also let the course designer know that many of us are not happy with them setting up the courses in the gravel pits and with gimmick maneuvers. I don't think he realized how much better their event could be with some better designs. He did have a point in that he did not what to have the same kind of courses as everyone else. Which I understand but the fun factor should be the change not punishing the tires or the paint.

So it started to rain about the start of the second round of 4 runs. Wisely they stopped the event before the down pore and wind gust. Then they started fun runs in the rain. Well that was not to bad. But sure enough some guy decided he need to do donuts in the parking lot not out on course. I won't blame the event management on that. That was a driver using poor judgment at an event.

About 50 drivers on a 1.5 mile course. Course speeds where reasonable. My time was 115.7 Fastest posted time I saw was in the 111. range with Harris at a low 112.

I guess I am holding the BMW club to a higher standard than some. They have the potential to be the best autocross group around. I think a better focus on safety would be in everyones best interest. Safety includes not driving in 3rd gear through a gravel situation.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    I guess I am holding the BMW club to a higher standard than some. They have the potential to be the best autocross group around. I think a better focus on safety would be in everyones best interest. Safety includes not driving in 3rd gear through a gravel situation.
    General, you really need to sign up for the next S2000 Owner's Club autocross on July 17th. Long, entertaining, and challenging courses (without gimmicks), lots of runs, a good atmosphere, and great equipment. Once you've been to one, you'll realize that as long as the S2000 club continues to hold autocrosses, Lone Star will never be able to match them.

There is a reason why every one of their events so far this season has had a waiting list. Seriously.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw