Thread: My Crank Creaks! (Mountain Bike)

Default My Crank Creaks! (Mountain Bike)

I've got a creaking noise coming out of the crankset on my loaner Specialized Mountain bike.

How do you take apart the crankset to check and grease the bearings??

If mileage is low, you probably just need to properly torque the bolts... If you've never taken one apart, you probably don't want to.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    If mileage is low, you probably just need to properly torque the bolts... If you've never taken one apart, you probably don't want to.
    I tightened every thing up on the crank set, but it still has a very annoying creak in it, from what I can figure it's creaking in the frame.....

How long was the wrench you used to tighten the cranks? It probably wasn't long enough...
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

How long was the wrench you used to tighten the cranks? It probably wasn't long enough...
    I had a 16" piece of .75" square tubing on the allen wrench I was using.

Yup... too short.

Can you feel the creaking in your butt, or is it just an annoying sound?

Yup... too short.

Can you feel the creaking in your butt, or is it just an annoying sound?
    Just an annoying sound.....

Might be in the pedals, then. Those you should be able to take apart and check bearings.

I've been riding aluminum frame bikes for a while, so it's been awhile since I've had a loose crank-set on a Cro-moly frame... Don't remember if it was as much a "feel" experience as on the aluminum bikes or not.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Could be the bottom bracket. That's the sealed unit the cranks bolt on to and threads in to the bike frame.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Could be the bottom bracket. That's the sealed unit the cranks bolt on to and threads in to the bike frame.

You may be correct! I take it you need special tools to get to the bottom bracket out? I do plan to check the pedals first!

Last weekend I dug a bunch of sand and dirt out of the fronts shocks so they would actually work.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 10-04-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Just ride faster? My crank creaks (actually, half the pivot points on the frame creak, and I'm too lazy to replace the el cheapo stock bearings with needle bearings), so I just ride harder. I find I don't notice it much.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    You may be correct! I take it you need special tools to get to the bottom bracket out?
    Yep. Take it to the bike shop if you decide to replace it.