Thread: Mazda6 Among 2006 "Most Unsafe Cars" Ouch!

Default Mazda6 Among 2006 "Most Unsafe Cars" Ouch!

From Autoblog:

Least safe cars of 2006

Posted Oct 24, 2005, 12:00 PM ET by John Neff
    Related entries: Car Buying

http://common.weblogsinc.com/common/...17903755000186 If you’re worried about how your brand new, reasonably priced economy car would fare in something a little more intense than a fender bender, check out Forbes’ list of the Least Safe cars of 2006. Included on the list are the Hyundai Elantra, Kia Optima, Mazda6 (!), Nissan Sentra, Suzuki Forenza and Toyota Corolla (!). Forbes has based its list on the criterion of failing two out of three Insurance Institute for Highway Safety crash tests. All of these cars failed both their rear- and side-impact crash tests.

For comparison’s sake we decided to look up the crash test ratings of each vehicle on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration site to see how each fared in that organization’s crash tests. The NHTSA only performs a front- and side-impact test, but no rear. Their results, however, were fairly inconsistent with those from the IIHS. Only the Sentra and Forenza did poorly in both tests.
    It should be noted that the results Forbes quotes for the Toyota Corolla and Suzuki Forenza in the IIHS tests are for models not equipped with optional side curtain airbags, the inclusion of which would have surely improved their scores.

Also, the pic of the Elantra crash test is not meant to imply we think Hyundai’s small car is unsafe. The Elantra did well in the battery of NHTSA tests and comes standard with four air bags. It was just the best pic we could find.

Read Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments [0]

Very disturbing to see the 6 rated down at the bottom with the rest of the riff-raff. Of course, the Corolla is there too, but it didn't have side air bags.

What happened, Mazda?

S.

Dang It's on my short list for my new car..... Maybe not now.......

I wonder how often they are upping the bar. Could it be that cars near the end of there production cycle were designed before the last bar raising while cars that have been re-designed recently were able to work toward newer standards? While I have no research to back it up, my gut tells me that all the cars on this list would outperform the safest cars from 10 year ago.

Where is the Ford Fusion. Isnt it the same car? Has it not come out yet so it isnt on the list?

The problem with using crash tests to determine whether a car is safe or not is not looking at the entire picture. There are many other factors that play into the equation. If the car gives you the confidence to prevent an accident, shouldn't that be of some value? I ask only because we've been driving a 6 for two and a half years and fifty thousand miles and both Shelley and I feel it is a very cofidence inspiring package. Great brakes, much better handling than anything comparable that we've driven, smooth ABS, and positive acting traction control system. All in all, we would easily purchase another no matter what the crash tests say, because we know we can get out of most situations before they become collisions. Just this morning, I had to haul it down quickly when traffic came to a complete stop on I30. I had a big 4x4 in front of me, so couldn't see what was happening ahead, but needed to stop fast. No fuss, no fanfare, no instability whatsoever, just stopped smoothly without even having to get into the ABS. Had I been driving Sunny, the Mini, or truck, I'd have had to go to the shoulder to get stopped.

If you want a 6, buy it. You won't be disappointed.....