Thread: NY Times article on embedded technology...

Default NY Times article on embedded technology...

Embedded in the roadway, that is...

Link - Free registration required

In summary, a UK firm has devised "smart" reflectors - those of you who visit Calfornia have probably seen a few - that have solar charger/battery systems so they light up. Some can change color based on the environment - such as ice or standing water. Some flash when there are pedestrians in crosswalks. Some turn red when you're following another car too closely. Some can work as a system to alert you of an impending traffic slowdown on a highway. These magic bits cost a bit less than double standard reflectors.

Here's the kicker... He's now developed a $50k package that consists of 3 cameras and a pair of infrared beams. This handy device can take 3 coordinated photos to catch front, side and rear of a vehicle. It can track the speed by measuring the time lapse between breaking the beams.

Looking for stolen vehicles? The cameras provide enough resolution that scanners on the receiving end can read license plates.

And unless you're wearing your James Bond glasses, you'll have no idea where these buggers are.

Thoughts?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Agreed.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Please if the road doesn't nark on you the car will.

Last fall I had a service advisor point out to me that my Expedition had bounced of the speed limiter (105 mph IIRC) about a dozen times. They honored the warranty work, but with the data they had they could have used what my truck said to deny the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Please if the road doesn't nark on you the car will.

Last fall I had a service advisor point out to me that my Expedition had bounced of the speed limiter (105 mph IIRC) about a dozen times. They honored the warranty work, but with the data they had they could have used what my truck said to deny the claim.
    That's a bunch of malarky. If I'd had a dealer deny a claim based on that information, I'd have had product liability lawyers crawling up Ford's corporate ass faster than they could say "undisclosed settlement".

Think about it. Either the vehicle can be safely operated up to that speed, since that's what the factory set as its maximum allowable speed, or it isn't safe to operate up to that speed, in which case Ford can say you were operating the vehicle in a manner outside of what it was designed for, and deny any warranty claims. But... if Ford says that the vehicle was being operated outside its design limits and you haven't made any modifications to it, why did Ford negligently set the speed limiter that high?

They built it that way, they sold it that way, and they set the vehicle's maximum allowable speed. All you did was drive it.

Whether driving that fast is illegal or not doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. They can't void the warranty on your car if you roll through a stop sign, can they? Why would they be able to void your warranty if you speed?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    That's a bunch of malarky. If I'd had a dealer deny a claim based on that information, I'd have had product liability lawyers crawling up Ford's corporate ass faster than they could say "undisclosed settlement".
    I agree but it is spooky to know they can have a look at the vehicles history, and could use it against you. They didn't deny my claim they just pointed out the truck narked me out!

Good luck with Ford's Lawyers, like you have the financial might to battle them if they decided to make and example of your case!