Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech Day in McKinney - Sat, Nov 19th

Default Tech Day in McKinney - Sat, Nov 19th

Address:
    PM me for info. Hint: it's in McKinney.

Time:
    November 19th, 2005
    10:00am - ???

We will be replacing a timing belt in juxt3r's 92 Red Sled.

I have room for his car in the garage but should be able to clear it out for a second Miata by moving bikes and the mower out. The driveway will hold four more but it is sloped.

I also have a collection of Craftsman tools, jack, four jackstands but no airtools.

If you have projects you want to work on, you are welcome but I recommend you bring some tools if it's involved.

Please feel free to show up and lend a hand or just watch and learn.

We need some folks that can turn wrenches!

Please post here if you plan to attend, if you want to help juxt3r out and/or have a project of your own.

If you plan on making a day of it, feel free to show up with snacks or drinks. I can fill up the ice chest.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Default Tech day!!!!

Sweet!!! Hey i need to replace the bearings on my rear right wheel, i got everything i need except i live in an apartment complex with no place to work on my car... would it be alright if i take my car to your place and work on it?\

10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    Sweet!!! Hey i need to replace the bearings on my rear right wheel, i got everything i need except i live in an apartment complex with no place to work on my car... would it be alright if i take my car to your place and work on it?\

Sure. I've never done a wheel bearing so I'd be interested in seeing the process.
    ...and across the line.

IIRC, you will need to have the wheel bearing pressed in, so you might want to see what will be open in McKinney that day. I tried a NAPA and they sent me to a shop next door to them. NAPA ordered the part for me and had it within a day.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

are you going to need that giant gear puller? and a long pole for leverage to pop off that 200ft/lb/torqued big nut? ill be there but after 5pm, prolly get there at 6pm. is going to go on that time? (i gotta work)
    -AJ Ngo

Quote Originally Posted by BAM!
    are you going to need that giant gear puller? and a long pole for leverage to pop off that 200ft/lb/torqued big nut? ill be there but after 5pm, prolly get there at 6pm. is going to go on that time? (i gotta work)
    I hope were not still working on the timing belt then if were starting at 10pm! Give me a call first if you don't want to waste the trip. PM Sent.

Dunno if a 1.6 is different but I've never needed a gear puller but a breaker bar is handy.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    IIRC, you will need to have the wheel bearing pressed in, so you might want to see what will be open in McKinney that day. I tried a NAPA and they sent me to a shop next door to them. NAPA ordered the part for me and had it within a day.
    what do you mean pressed in? into the spindel? I was gunna get the part at the Town North for $40 but i'll look for cheaper, they also recommended me to buy the seal too, i am not sure but i'll get it just to be on the safe side... the bearing is already compressed into one piece, the hard part would be taking the old one out... i guess, maybe a hammer and screwdriver will come in handy for this one. I just wanna give it a try before i take it somewhere.
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

How big of a job is replacing the rear bearings? Seems as if this could be a big job, add a timing belt water pump change to the mix and I'm thinking that a lot to do in a day.

Anybody got a writeup or link on changing out the rear bearings in a NB???

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    How big of a job is replacing the rear bearings? Seems as if this could be a big job, add a timing belt water pump change to the mix and I'm thinking that a lot to do in a day.

Anybody got a writeup or link on changing out the rear bearings in a NB???
    POS may have a point here. I looked at my Enthusiasts Shop Manual for a 94-97 and it requires bearing pullers and a press. I imagine a 99+ would be pretty similar if not the exact same process and hub assembly. It sounds like this has a potential for taking more than a day if we run into any problems and I have no desire for having any cars on jack stands overnight. My HOA would definitely have an issue with that.

Now if you have the tools, someone knowledgeable on Miata rear wheel bearing replacement and a place that will press the bearing that day I might consider it. I just don't need issues with the HOA or a stranded Miata in my driveway.
    ...and across the line.

Just did a search on the pointy board. Not sure if a NB is any different but the NA is pretty involved.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...hlight=bearing
    ...and across the line.

Default bearings

well if its a hard job to tackle then i'll just go to see how the timing belt is done...
    on the other side, this pic here shows evidence of the hi-tech tools used to pull out the bearing, lol...

Default Final Timing Belt Q, I Hope

What's the verdict? Shall I bring tools or my own Miata to add to the fray? If tools, what are you looking for? I'll bring what I can to help, but lugging a crap load of stuff across the city is no fun. Also, approximately how many cars are going to be there?

Based on replys and PMs. Only Mouglie and juxt3r are going to be here. Anyone else planning on attending? I'd like to make this a fun event. More the merrier even if you just want to show up and watch.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Based on replys and PMs. Only Mouglie and juxt3r are going to be here. Anyone else planning on attending? I'd like to make this a fun event. More the merrier even if you just want to show up and watch.
    I was thinking I would stop by for a little bit... I don't have any maintenance to do, but I know how to turn a wrench...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I'm planning on showing up for a few hours. Things I would like to do.

Change my fuel filter.

Have someone help me tension my belts. I can get them to not squeal at start up when its warm out or cold, but not both.

Help out.

I would love to join you, especially since I've changed several rear bearings, and I have a portable bench press, which makes it a snap. I wouldn't do it any other way. It's easy to destroy the new one with a hammer and trailer ball! Oh yeah, the reason I can't help is that we will be on a big 'ol airplane heading toward CA , Highway 1 , and Laguna Seca!!!!!!!

Oh yeah,

And I'd like to try to get my incredible slow moving windows sped up. I'll do some research on that but if anyone would like to chime in or direct me to any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell
    Oh yeah,

And I'd like to try to get my incredible slow moving windows sped up. I'll do some research on that but if anyone would like to chime in or direct me to any info it would be greatly appreciated.
    There are plenty of things on the board about it...

Cleaning the window switches...
    lubing the tracks...
    cleaning out all the hardened grease then lubing the tracks...
    replacing cracked guides on the window... (I had one of these on the Spec)
    lubing the cables...

Only the window switches can be done without tearing into the door, but don't be afraid of the door... it's pretty easy as long as you don't get that sticky black goo that holds the plastic on the door all over you.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Looks like we have some maybes! Better than nothing I s'pose.

Those interested in coming, please PM me for the address. Don't want to post it on the recommendation of my "secret advisor".
    ...and across the line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast