Thread: LSMC TONIGHT

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Default LSMC TONIGHT

According to the news letter, the budget will be discussed tonight. Who's going to see where their money goes?

My bride has steaks thawing for supper, but I might have to put them back in the freezer and go see what the board has to say. Fuddruckers beats Spring Grease BBQ.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I'll be there. I'd like to see a large turnout from the younger crowd (even you, onething). It should be fairly easy to over-fill the smallish room at Fuddrucker's.

Nah... guests are particularly welcome, as the President comes over to yell at his club members while guests are sitting there :)

That is one fugged up club.

Why waste your time?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    That is one fugged up club.

Why waste your time?
    I've never been in a club that completely met my needs. They all have problems and benefits. I've been on some very enjoyable runs that were made possible through LSMC. I am not ready to run for president, but I am not ready to write them off either. Besides, now that I live in the Metromess, it is easier to attend the meetings than when I had to drive 2 hours each way
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Brenda and I went...TC was there too

We met a lady with an 03 who wants to smack some cones. We gave her enough info to get her to the next event.

Vivid, Chesse*, and I went to a Ft. Worth Cats baseball game last night! It was a lot of fun, we should all try and get together and go to a game! (BTW. it was cheep!)

So was the budget discussed? What epiphanies came from the meeting? Did TC behave himself??

BTW. I actually agree with droptop on this subject!

(*Cheese is my Kido!)

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    (*Cheese is my Kido!)
    You mean this "kido"? -

Chassis Designer

Default LSMC

I didn't make the meeting, (I have FtWorth Cats season tickets, and yes, they are lot's of fun). But I am a board member.

The budget is quite simple. Every penny, and then some, goes to insurance. With only about 60 paying members, and a 4-5 fold increase in insurance, it's getting harder to keep up. As an incorporated and legal entitiy, we have to have insurance.

NO money goes for anything else except postage. Everything else is donated.

I have always supported any and all efforts by any group of Miataphiles, but I do get tired of hearing people bash a group that they never supported, and don't participate in. Just isn't necessary.

You only get out of a club, what you are willing to put into it.
    Bill Preston
    2007 CuRed PRHT
    Lowered, ram air, too much crap to list

Thanks Bill, and have a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by billccsi
    I didn't make the meeting, (I have FtWorth Cats season tickets, and yes, they are lot's of fun). But I am a board member.

The budget is quite simple. Every penny, and then some, goes to insurance. With only about 60 paying members, and a 4-5 fold increase in insurance, it's getting harder to keep up. As an incorporated and legal entitiy, we have to have insurance.

NO money goes for anything else except postage. Everything else is donated.

I have always supported any and all efforts by any group of Miataphiles, but I do get tired of hearing people bash a group that they never supported, and don't participate in. Just isn't necessary.

You only get out of a club, what you are willing to put into it.
    billccsi, thanks for the insight and your prespective on things. I think if you read all the posts here and on Miata.net regarding the LSMC, you'll find a lot of support for the club as well... so [fortunately] it's not all bashing .

Having said that, I've been to two meetings and have never been made to feel very welcome. I've always felt as somewhat of an "outsider", and the last time I came out, your President came over to the table I was sitting at and... aggressively confronted... one of your members. Well, that left me feeling quite uncomfortable, and I haven't been back since (after all, if that's how you treat your members...).

It is a well known fact (rumor?) that the LSMC no longer supports any performance oriented activities. No autocrosses. No drivers education days. No track days. No tech days. I'm not talking about a bunch of yahoos driving twice the speed limit on a fun run. I'm talking about serious, safe, organized performance oriented activities. Some people want the opportunity to participate in such events. Some people want to participate in casual/social events. And I believe that many people want to participate in both. But the LSMC appears to only cater to the casual/social crowd, which leaves a lot of enthusiasts out. I'm guessing that this leads to misunderstanding and frustration that may manifest itself as "bashing".

Now the LSMC is welcome to conduct itself any way it wants. But I'd submit to you and your club members that you need to rethink your apparent reluctance to embrace the performance aspects of sports car ownership. By your own admission, your current membership can barely pay it's operating expenses. Perhaps if you reached out to the mature/serious performance crowd -- those who actively participate in autocrosses and track days, and who want to learn how to "wrench" on their cars -- you might see your membership numbers grow. And I'd even bet some of your current members might find that this aspect of Miata ownership is fun too.

In the meantime, I will not bash the LSMC. OK, I might poke a little fun here and there, but I won't bash. In truth, I'd like to join the LSMC and effect the changes needed to expand you list of activities to include performance ones as well... to turn the LSMC into a true Sports Car Enthusiast's club. But that's a "battle" (perhaps I should simply say "effort") I'm not quite ready to engage in. I'm tilting at enough windmills at the moment. But I will continue to hope that at some time in the future, the only official DFW area Miata club will one day embrace performance events.

Best of luck to you and your club. I hope to see you and/or some of the LSMC members out at an autocross in the very near future! If any of your members do come out, please come over and "hang out" with us DFW area Miata Pilots. We tend to congregate, and we really are a very friendly bunch!

Rich
    aka Kestrel