Thread: Radiator Problem-Update 11/13/05 Page 2

Default Radiator Problem-Update 11/13/05 Page 2

Well now its my turn. I have been smelling coolant for a few weeks, but I thought it was the thermostat housing dribbling just a little bit. Well last night I check the coolant, and it was low. Not really bad but low. I also noticed a wet spot on the passenger side of the splash shield. So I started looking around and water was dripping off of the evaporator. I though that is wierd, maybe it is really humid? Well it turns out, the passenger side bracket for the evaporator was rubbing on the radiator. Do this pictures look like it has taken a fatal shot? I think so, but I want second opinions. O'reily can get me a new radiator today, for 140 if I order by 1:30. Are there better deals that can get me on the road today? SHould I see if they have a automatic radiator? I never have overheating problems, so it might not be worth it.

Ok I added the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Majik; 11-13-2005 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Pictures

If you got time call around, last radiator I bought I got the best price from Kirby's Radiator Service on Belknap in Ft. Worth 817-838-6722.

They said they may be able to get one by 3:30. Ill have to wait and call them back. I need to run to oriely quick if they dont have it. She said an auto was only $5 more.

If you need it running today, get it soldered at a radiator repair shop...

Fix the reason it was rubbing...

And then take your time to shop around for the best price

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Im going to pick one up shortly. After reading some at Miata.net, apparently, on the 99s, the autoradiator isnt dual core like the 90-97. And the 90-97 wont fit, so it isnt going to be a different radiator. Oh well, atleast this one wont have a hole in it.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Im going to pick one up shortly.
    Where and how much for future reference ?

Kirby's Radiator Service on Belknap in Ft. Worth 817-838-6722

I think it was around 115. I cant remember exactly what the girl said. Ill tell you exactly when I get back. Oriely could have had one this afternoon also, but it was around 140.

Ok, it is in. All metal rad for 125 after tax. I even paid extra for the mistake of ordering an automatic radiator. It has some bungs at the bottom for a an auto cooler or something. The guy there said just leave them alone, and that appears to be ok. There is no fluid coming out of them. If you have a 99+ just get the manual rad. Just for good measure I changed out that seeping thermostat gasket, and also changed the radiator cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Majik,
    i got the same radiator for mine just a couple of weeks ago.
    Just make sure you dont tighten the fan bolts too much or you might twist the metal bolt brackets. Guess how i know?
    I dont know how mechanically inclined you are, but it took me with no knowledge about 2 hours i think.
    take care

aaah summertime, guess everyone that bought a car this past winter will be finding out about their radiators...lol

Thats a pretty good deal Majik.

I think if I end up replacing the radiator I am going to go with a PWR double core, just to be one step closer when I get the supercharger, I like overkill.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    It has some bungs at the bottom for a an auto cooler or something.
    Maybe you can do a homemade oil cooler. You know, if you're bored or something.

Thats a good idea, hmmm.

I was talking with Shannon Mc. at The Ranch this week, and he said he had a line on a new radiator that has cross flow. It is suppose to keep even racing miatas at 185. He should have one this month. If it turns out to be true I don't see how I could pass it up in the SM. That Temp Gauge is always in my mind.
    BTW, how hot do you think the miata engine can be (WT wise) and not hurt the head or lower end?

I thought I might bring this post back from the dead to let everyone know my feelings for this radiator. I am not too happy right now. My coolant level has been dropping recently, and I thought it was my heater hoses. I replaced those, but that wasn't the issue. The radiator is leaking. At both bottom mounting points. It seems the vibration has made some small cracks, and also the neck for the lower radiator hose seems to have a problem. It is now leaking. I tried to move the hose clamp cllose to the radiator and that didnt solve it. Tightening it slightly didnt solve it either. I am guessing the radiator has already started to wear out. I am going to call Kirby;s tomorrow. Ill see what they say, but I doubt I will get another one of these. I will most likely fix my stocker and stick it back in.

How long have you had it? Did it have a warranty??

I bought it the 6th of June. That puts it at around 150 days or so. I am going to call them about the warranty tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that, majik.

Anyone know what an OEM plastic tank rad costs through Mazdacomp? I intend to replace my scaled up original this off season, but I need a direct replacement to be legal for Stock.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Anyone know what an OEM plastic tank rad costs through Mazdacomp? I intend to replace my scaled up original this off season, but I need a direct replacement to be legal for Stock.
    I got one for my ES car from Mazdacomp it was around $140.00 included the cap all the foam and even warning stickers!

BTW. p/n for a '99 Radiator (MT) is BP4W-15-200A Price $134.05
    Last edited by POS Racing; 11-13-2005 at 10:41 PM.

I might be sending off to Mazda comp. I am really liking the idea of the foam. Or I wonder what the price from trussville is, with their free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I got one for my ES car from Mazdacomp it was around $140.00 included the cap all the foam and even warning stickers!

BTW. p/n for a '99 Radiator (MT) is BP4W-15-200A Price $134.05
    Thanks POS! I take back all those things I said about your mother!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw