Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The BUR is Broken!

ive had that happen to me too. i (at the time) found a rear diff with carrier for like $125. (core exchange needed) lemme know if you need more info.
    -AJ Ngo

Quote Originally Posted by BAM!
    ive had that happen to me too. i (at the time) found a rear diff with carrier for like $125. (core exchange needed) lemme know if you need more info.
    Thanks.

Here is a VISCOUS on e-bay. Looks a little rusty though.
    No more Miata

The partsgroup.com shows to have a couple! May be worth a phone call!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

The partsgroup.com shows to have a couple! May be worth a phone call!
    Does it say "slip" because it's not a limited slip?

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Does it say "slip" because it's not a limited slip?
    The 1.6 were available with Limited Slip units, Torsens didn't show up til '94.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Dang Bean... What did you do, drop the clutch at redline with the stickies from POS on?
    Time for a torsen. The autox crowd will attest that I launch exactly that way every time. Every event. Every run. On stickier tires. With more power. Have been for four years now. My diff works just fine.

Heck, at the last S2k event I was the 2nd car to run. After my first run, they moved the start line closer to the first turn because I left two very nice long black stripes.

In fact, after my second run they added another gate a foot before the start gate, to prevent me backing and filling at the "new and improved" start line to get a straighter launch.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    The 1.6 were available with Limited Slip units, Torsens didn't show up til '94.
    Yep... they show 2 Viscous Limited Slips here for $350. The torsens start at $775.

Dang Bean... What did you do, drop the clutch at redline with the stickies from POS on?

Just what Is "redline" on the BUR ?
    Sorry to hear it BEAN........
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Sorry to hear the news

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

So whatcha gonna do Bean?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I'm gonna jump up and boogaloo...

But really though... I'm not sure just yet.
    I'll give ya two fiddy for it
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    ... I'm not sure just yet.
    How about making it into a mailbox!

One interesting option might be the Mazdaspeed Limited Slip Differential. It is designed to drop right in to the 1.6 open case. Moss lists it for $699 but it is likely less through Mazda Motorsports. It might be a better option then spending more on a used torsen with a bunch of miles on it. Anyone know what kind of LSD it is?

Anyone know what kind of LSD it is?
    Clutch-type, iirc. Much better than a viscous, and has some advantages over a Torsen (although I'd probably still take a Torsen if money were no object).

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Torsens are so expensive for our cars? You can buy a brand new T2-R Torsen upgraded diff for pony cars for around $500... but a used OEM Miata Torsen goes for silly money.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Torsens are so expensive for our cars? You can buy a brand new T2-R Torsen upgraded diff for pony cars for around $500... but a used OEM Miata Torsen goes for silly money.
    Volume?

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I'm thinking it's because your average Miata owner isn't that bright!
    A Torsen type LSD is an upgrade for the early unit but requires replacing the entire diff housings assembly from the later 1994-> generation cars as they are completely different units. See Mike Inman's Torsen upgrade page or Dennis Nutting's Torsen upgrade page for more on their installation reports. See also the Miata.Net Garage for other swap info.
    I'd go for the Limited slip that partsgroup.com has listed on the website, that would be a cheap fix and an upgrade at the same time!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 11-11-2005 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added more information!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast