Thread: Just finished repainting the Miata

Default Just finished repainting the Miata

I just laid the final coat of PPG DP90 primer. Striping it tomorrow and leaving the base color as black primer. With a neon green and yellow stripe diagonal stripe.

The "BLACK MAMBA" lives!!!!

Should look good on the TV Show.

Those HVLP paint guns are awesome! The last car I did was 20 years ago using a siphon type gun. These are so much better.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

You knew it was coming...

Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    You knew it was coming...

Time to get yourself a FREE Cardomain site, or you could always become an MME supporter!

That's funny!

I was wondering how long it was going to take.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

9 hours and 50 minutes to respond.... POS is starting to get slow...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    9 hours and 50 minutes to respond.... POS is starting to get slow...
    My minion Altiain was on it in less than 45 minutes!

But seriously Screamin'Screw pictures of your projects would be pretty darn cool.

I HATE WIND!!

Its screwing up my stripes!

I went with a Metalics Neon Green Stripe. The DP 90 as a base color is already starting to show how difficult it is going to be with a flat black car. EVERYTHING seems to make glossier.

Oh and I like shooting metalics too.

I can see why high end paint jobs cost so much. Very LABOR INTENSIVE.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Default paint

eh, interested in painting my car, could you tell me some prices of the paints and would you be interested in doing it?\
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Well,

I can tell you the primer and paint alone is going cost around $350 - $600 depending on the color. I used PPG products And a color change can get expensive and more time consuming.

Primer and a stripe color was nearly $200.

You are looking at about 2 solid days of prep work. 1-2 half days of shooting and probably a full day of post shoot work for a full car.

You can do a lot of the labor yourself. Sanding down the old paint, small body ding repairs, removing as many parts as possible and masking the car.

The shooting itself is not too difficult, but you have to be willing to live with some imperfections since none of us are professionals.

My time - Priceless!

I also broke a few parts along the way like the washer nozzles and one reflector that I did not know was GLUED! in.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Are we ever gonna see some pics?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

No! You will have to tune into the reality TV show to see the car
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    Well,

I can tell you the primer and paint alone is going cost around $350 - $600 depending on the color. I used PPG products And a color change can get expensive and more time consuming.

Primer and a stripe color was nearly $200.

You are looking at about 2 solid days of prep work. 1-2 half days of shooting and probably a full day of post shoot work for a full car.

You can do a lot of the labor yourself. Sanding down the old paint, small body ding repairs, removing as many parts as possible and masking the car.

The shooting itself is not too difficult, but you have to be willing to live with some imperfections since none of us are professionals.

My time - Priceless!

I also broke a few parts along the way like the washer nozzles and one reflector that I did not know was GLUED! in.
    nice, but this gets me nervous now, lol...
    atleast is good to know some numbers so it'll give
    me something to think about... thanks aigh
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....