Thread: Oh what a night!

Talking Oh what a night!

It began like this...

I was driving out to meet my brother and his wife as they were driving in to town from Las Vegas on their way to Virginia.

As I got to 820, on the west/north side of Fort Worth, I lost the headlights on the BUR. Mind you, it was about 7:45ish PM. I figured I had just blown a fuse or a relay. I hit the emergency flashers and tried as I could to move over to the right shoulder and get out of everyones' way. I finally came to a stop... called my brother and gave him the rest of the directions to Frisco. I then called AAA and had a flat bed tow truck sent. They quoted about 45 minutes wait time... c'est la vie.

I then proceeded to call the wife and let her know what happened. I sat in my car with the engine running and an eye ball placed square in my rear view mirror anticipating having to quickly move. I called sammmy and asked if he could quickly check the board for me and perhaps try to diagnose the issue.

It was then that the fun really began...

As I was on the phone with sammmy, a police chase went roaring down the other side of 820 heading northeast. A earlier model Mercedes followed by three of Fort Worth's finest. Sirens blaring, sammmy heard this over my phone. I thought nothing of it...

A few minutes went by, and sure enough, the whole chase had returned southwest on 820 right past me and my stranded car. Again, I told sammm that it had just passed me again... "Strange enough...", I thought.

After all this, sammm and I had surmised that it was the retractor fuse (and I just so happened to not have an extra 30amp fuse just laying around...) so I knew I was stuck waiting for the tow truck.

Luckily the truck showed up fairly quickly...

Just then, as the operator is getting my little car on the back of his truck and I'm retelling him the story of the previous chase, lo and behold, the same chase is again headed for us. However, this time, Fort Worth has 7 or 8 cop cars and a helicopter on this guy. And their trying as hard as they can to put the guy into the guardrails... so about after a mile or so the police succeeded in their task. Unfortunately, it was right across from the operator and me.

At this point, both he and I are transfixed on what was going on across the lanes... only to see 5 cops whip out their service pistols and shotguns. Mind you, they have their backs to us... which means the guy in the car, if he had a gun (which we didn't know whether he did or didn't) was going to be shooting in our direction!

Needless to say, you've never seen two complete strangers move that fast and share space behind a tow truck while ducking for cover!

The police yanked the fella out of the passenger side of the Merc and quickly difused the whole situation. And at the same time giving Tony the truck driver and myself quite the story to tell...

Here's the linkie from the Fort Worth Telegram.

And below you'll find some really crappy phone photos...

Lessons learned:
    1. Thank goodness for 8 years of AAA coverage...
    2. Carry a spare fuse (or in my case, several!)
    3. The midnight suns on the police copters are brigher than I thought (I about burned my retinas when it lit us up!)
    4. Loop 820 by Blue Mound road is where one doesn't want to find themselves stranded at night...

Don't leave me hanging... Did you replace the fuse yet?

Great story BEAN.....
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It was wild listening to it over the phone, so I can imagine what it was like to be there! Glad you got your lights working again Bean.

Glad you are safe and sound
    and the BUR is back in action.

Wonder why you blew the fuse?

If it was the retractors, I assume you are referring to the pop-up headlights. Couldn't you have simply manually raised them? There are two red turn knobs under black covers next to the headlights under the hood.

Seen here: It's the round thing below the monster flow intake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Nope... not the retractors... the fuse that controls the whole shebang. In fact, my lights were stuck in the up position... just off.

I've had to use the manual retractors before... I wish it had been that easy!

See, if you had real headlights, this wouldn't be an issue.

At least you've got a great story to tell, Bean!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Wow! Glad you didn't have to dodge bullets.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Tonight on COPS...bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    [*]Carry a spare fuse (or in my case, several!)
    Yep, always a good idea. I have the MacGyver trunk , my trunk pouch has tire plugs/air pump, pliers, screwdriver, a couple sets of sae & metric fuses, and a couple wrenches!

Wow, some story. I've witnessed several chases but never that intense!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...