Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another RUDE 92 shock question

Rudedog pm sent. I live in Sachse but get around the metroplex a lot with refing hockey so anywhere near Dallas is good for me! I recommended getting some balljoint/tierod boots cause they are probably old and worn or will get torn when you install the shocks. If Mazda has to order them (like Town North) then you can get by with some universal ones from Napa if they are bad.

I've never heard anything bad about stock springs with AGX shocks, and when you do autoX the AGX can be set stiff enough. I personally have not had good experience with the FM springs (great FM customer service though as always). just my

I have a spring compressor if needed, but if the shocks you bought already have the springs you are going to use assembled then you don't need it. Just pop the upper balljoint and pull it out. This will not affect your alignment either...or so I've been told.

*My house in Sachse is open...would love to check out your vette afterwards! hint hint!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Default Thanks

Thanks man, I'll remember that stuff.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Just let us know what works for you after your surgery! I'm sure we could come up with a few folks to help ya!
    Amen! Make it sometime after Christmas to avoid the holiday craziness, and I'll be happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    As far as the ball joint joint, on an NA I've done the San Diego club method a few times, which doesn't require you to break loose the upper ball joint, but YYMV!
    Isn't this what we did on jigger's car? That was a royal pain in the ass to reassemble, imho.

Personally, I prefer the Andy Hollis method as detailed at the bottom of the link. This is what we did on Tim the Teacher's car, and it's so much easier to reassemble.
    Last edited by altiain; 12-09-2005 at 07:22 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hmm....I basically do the San Diego method. I have a huge 5ft pole I use. Or a good foot can work. I'll have to go take a look under the car next time cause just by reading the Andy Hollis method, it seems to be more of a hassle IMO.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Isn't this what we did on jigger's car? That was a royal pain in the ass to reassemble, imho.
    Since rudedog bought complete ready-to-install assemblies (springs/shocks/tops/etc) is there a need to go thru all of that? I'm game to help too after the holidays BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Oh yeah, I pop the upper balljoint loose instead of taking the lower one off. Either way shouldn't be a pain to reassemble IMO.

I have plenty of free time before the holidays if you're itching to get your new stuff on. Should only take 2 hours...maybe less since you don't have to assemble the springs/shocks.
    Last edited by Treibenschnell; 12-10-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Oh yeah, I pop the upper balljoint loose instead of taking the lower one off. Either way shouldn't be a pain to reassemble IMO.

I have plenty of free time before the holidays if you're itching to get your new stuff on. Should only take 2 hours...maybe less since you don't have to assemble the springs/shocks.
    My experience with Mazda ball joints is that it is very easy to tear the boots without using the SST (special service tool). A standard ball joint fork won't work with the Miata's upper ball joints.

I found this out the hard way the first time I replaced the shocks on my own car, since coming from HOndas where popping the ball joints was the easy way to do it. Then again, if rudedog is going to replace the ball joint boots anyway, I guess it doesn't matter.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

if this hasnt been done yet, id offer my services. are air tools going to be available? itll make the whole process much faster. i did my first install in about 2 hours.
    also does anyone have a pic of the upper ball joint? i didnt replce mine hbut dont seem to suffer any consequences.
    oh yeah, since i dont have much $$ to spend, i also dont have shock boot, alot of people dont....

Yeah, I would assume his balljoint and tierod boots are worn being a 92. The ones on my 90 and 92 were looked pretty worn when I got them. And of course, like you said if you pop the balljoint then the boot will get torn.

You can get some universal shock boots at any autoparts store or try one of the off-road stores, they may have more in stock. Can get some for around $7 each, like the rancho shock boots.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You can get some universal shock boots at any autoparts store or try one of the off-road stores, they may have more in stock. Can get some for around $7 each, like the rancho shock boots.
    Not a good idea...the bumpstops on the NA's are integrated into the boot. I'd spring for new OEM boots (and I did when I put the AGX's on my '92).

Everybody keeps talking about popping out ball joints! You don't have to do any of that.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Everybody keeps talking about popping out ball joints! You don't have to do any of that.
    Hey don't lump me it with that ball joint bashing crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Not a good idea...the bumpstops on the NA's are integrated into the boot. I'd spring for new OEM boots (and I did when I put the AGX's on my '92).
    umm...yeah, I wasn't talking about ditching the bumpstops. I have AGX with GC and FM rear mounts so I was thinking a bit different. The bumpstops should be good (unless they are original on a car w/217k miles like mine!). The boots wear out faster but the the bumpstop could still be good anyway.

If you are gonna get new bumpstops/boots, isn't it better to get the ones for the 1.8 NA cars? That's what I was told by everyone on the board. Something about them being progressive rate...I can't remember, I replace mine a couple years ago.

If you are gonna get new bumpstops/boots,

Quote Originally Posted by rudedog
    Here is what I bought and they were delivered yesterday and look good.
    (4) KYB-AGX 8 way adjustable shocks with OEM springs. Two Front (#741015) and two Rear (#741016) complete assemblies with Strut Mounts, caps, boots, etc. These 4 assemblies are 100% complete and are all ready to bolt in car.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I didn't bring up the shock boots, someone else did. I brought up the balljoint/tierod boots since they tend to rot and crack after 15 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12