Thread: *sigh* my friend has clutch problems

Default *sigh* my friend has clutch problems

martin, my friend, had his friend install a clutch. its still on jack stands. when he starts it, they hear a constant metal to metal grinding sound. its not a soft sound, but harsh. a whole clutch kit is supposedly installed. with throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc,and slave cylinder. there IS fluid in the tranny.

im thinking the disc could be in backwards. or the throw out bearing was improperly installed. could it be anything else?

My guess is the throw out bearing is a little off. Was everything aligned correctly(to your knowledge)?

thats why i want sure if i should have posted this. because i really want there. isnt it pretty hard to misalign that simple bearing?

oh well, i think Martin was lookin for an easy fix...

If you depress the clutch, does it go away? Does it appear to be engaged all the time? I see no easy way out.......I'd be pulling it apart
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by BAM!
    martin, my friend, had his friend install a clutch. its still on jack stands. when he starts it, they hear a constant metal to metal grinding sound. its not a soft sound, but harsh. a whole clutch kit is supposedly installed. with throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc,and slave cylinder. there IS fluid in the tranny.

im thinking the disc could be in backwards. or the throw out bearing was improperly installed. could it be anything else?
    I had something similar happen during one of my many clutch installs. In my case, it turned out that Flyin' Miata had shipped the wrong throwout bearing. In my case it squealed like metal-on-metal.

Unfortunately, the only solution was disassembly and replacement with the proper bearing.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

After its last track outing, my other car developed a sound similar to your friend's car. I'll add my vote for the throw-out bearing replacement fix.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    If you depress the clutch, does it go away? Does it appear to be engaged all the time? I see no easy way out.......I'd be pulling it apart
    yeah, it goes away..