Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SCCA 6/20/2004 Autocross at TMS Road Course

So how many copies have you two (tailchaser, altiain) bought? Uh, huh... I hear all your reasoning, but my guess is he'd be better off selling 100 pics at $5 a piece than the 4 he'll sell at $25. But what do I know... maybe you guys have already picked yours up and are helping to make it worth his while to keep coming on out.

Look, I'm not saying he doesn't take some great pictures -- he clearly knows how to use a camera. But IMNSHO, he's asking way too much (not-even-in-the-ballpark too much) for those pictures. But then, I'm not in "the business", and perhaps I'm just a cheap b@$tard...

I'm still looking for the picture of my car... He CAN'T sell them for $5 a piece. Do the math. That and his competition would go Italian on him. He probably takes flack for selling $35 prints.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    his competition would go Italian on him.
    whadda u tryin' to say...huh? fuh-git-about-it!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    his competition would go Italian on him.
    whadda u tryin' to say...huh? fuh-git-about-it!
    I'm sorry Mr. Corleone the gentleman from Frisco is still making noise. Should we let him swim with the fishes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    So how many copies have you two (tailchaser, altiain) bought?
    Reread my last response, Rainbow Brite. :P I've bought two 8"x10" prints from DRP in the past, along with digital copies of both of those prints. Here's one of them:

I'd post the Prelude, but I can't find the disk with that pic on it anymore.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Reread my last response, Rainbow Brite. :P I've bought two 8"x10" prints from DRP in the past, along with digital copies of both of those prints.
    Excellent. Although I did read your response, O Sarcastic One , and my question wasn't how many of his prints you had bought in 2001, but how many of those excellent shots at TMS you had purchased. While I'm sure he appreciated the income back in your RX7 days (cool ride BTW), he'd also like to eat today.

He's a good photographer, and I'm sure it was a lot of hard work for him and his crew. I've already commented that having a shot with a portion of the Texas Motor Speedway wall in the background is way . And we can argue the business tactics of volume vs margin all day long, and it won't make any difference... it's his business, and he gets to run it the way he wants to. He seems to be doing fine.

Besides, I'm probably just jealous because I couldn't be at the event.

Of course, I really liked the shots that Dennis R, Gabby G, Kenny B, and others have taken in the past... and posted for free. And this is something like the 15th post since someone linked to his site, and I haven’t heard anyone saying “I just sent him a check”…

Reread my last response, Rainbow Brite. :P I've bought two 8"x10" prints from DRP in the past, along with digital copies of both of those prints.
    Excellent. Although I did read your response, O Sarcastic One , and my question wasn't how many of his prints you had bought in 2001, but how many of those excellent shots at TMS you had purchased. While I'm sure he appreciated the income back in your RX7 days (cool ride BTW), he'd also like to eat today.
    You're right, Kestrel - I haven't bought a print from the last Texas Region event from DRP. However, that's due almost entirely to the fact that I already have literally dozens of pictures of my Miata being autocrossed, and has nothing to do with DRP's prices.

By the way, I forgot that I already have paid DRP for a pic of the Miata:

So that makes three prints I've bought from him. Does that count? :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So that makes three prints I've bought from him. Does that count?
    Yep, absolutely. I'd have bought that one -- even at $25 -- if that was my car. Looks like your beating a Porsche Boxter in a wheel-to-wheel roadrace!

Looks like your beating a Porsche Boxter in a wheel-to-wheel roadrace!

Looks more like a 911 to me.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse

Either way we know, it is about to shoot out of the rattlesnake and blow by altiain...

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse

Either way we know, it is about to shoot out of the rattlesnake and blow by altiain...
    Funny thing is, I really had passed that guy coming down the main straight. He was a relatively new student, and that was his second time ever on track in that particular car.

He actually tracked me down in the pits and asked me what I had done to my car, since he was suprised that he couldn't catch up to me down the main straight (it wasn't that hard to keep a lead on him, since I came out of Big Bend with a good 20mph speed advantage). He didn't believe me when I said "Nothing but tires and safety equipment", so he made me pop the hood. His instructor (who raced Spec Miatas) gave him a good ribbing as he confirmed for his student that my engine bay was completely stock.
    Iain

I'm still looking for the picture of my car... He CAN'T sell them for $5 a piece. Do the math. That and his competition would go Italian on him. He probably takes flack for selling $35 prints.
    Sorry, I couldn't let this die when I remembered/saw this while browsing the NTS2KOC forum. Check Erik's prices... $6.00 a digi-file (instead of $25.00), and 8x10 prints for $10.00 (as opposed to $35.00). So it looks like he (DRP) CAN sell them for [around] $5.00, and his competition is already doing just that. I'm guessing his competition has "done the math"...

Just so we all remember what I initially said, I'll say it again: DRP takes some great pictures and he is free to charge what he likes for them (thank God I live in a free-market society). And he's been at it for a while, so clearly he's pretty successful at it. I'm not arguing that... I'm just saying I feel that he's charging too much, and he'd sell more pictures at a lower price point. His margins would be lower but his volume sales would increase. Then it's just a matter of finding the point where he nets the most profit. And maybe he already has, and that's why he charges $25/$35.

Anyway, it's just my opinion. Your opinion may... and clearly does ... vary.

There's one big difference between the two - DRP is Jack Olsen's primary source of income, while Erik Anderson is a medical devices engineer by day.
    Iain

...while Erik Anderson is a medical devices engineer by day.
    Wow! Nice when you have a hobby that actually pays you. All my hobbies -- cars/autocross, German junk, computers -- cost me money...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Sorry, I couldn't let this die
    So, how many have you bought
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    So, how many have you bought
    Interesting question, and I'm assuming that you mean "How many of the pictures take by Erik at the NTS2KOC event have you bought?", since I wasn't at the TMS event. The answer? None, but I never said that I wanted to buy any pictures. I was just making my point that at least one of DRP's competitors seems to be charging considerably less for their pictures...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234