Thread: It was 20 years ago today...

Default It was 20 years ago today...

...that the space shuttle Challenger launched from Cape Canaveral, on January 28th 1986.

I remember I was sitting in the orchestra room at my Junior High playing the cello when our principal came over the loudspeakers and announced what had happened.

Here is a few links attached, i thought some of you might want to look thru some of them.

LINKIE

LINKIE
    LINKIE
    LINKIE

Even with the recent breakup of the Space Shuttle over north Texas, given the opportunity, I would quickly jump on a chance to ride that rocketship.

I was sitting at home in front of the TV watching it as it happened. I would have been in shcool, but I had broke my back the day after Christmas while going down a ski slope at Anglefire. Dang rock in the middle of the path.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I was at work. We taped the whole thing since I worked in the AV department at the time.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I didnt follow those links, but I was reading the Wikipedia article over it a few weeks ago. Very eerie and intersting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I remember I was sitting in the orchestra room at my Junior High playing the cello...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I was in traffic today and really examined the Texas issued plate in front of me. It has a Space Shuttle flying over a Texas landscape with a cowboy and cactus.

Doesn't it seem somewhat inappropriate considering the recent Columbia tragedy?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    I was in traffic today and really examined the Texas issued plate in front of me. It has a Space Shuttle flying over a Texas landscape with a cowboy and cactus.
    It's been on the Texas plate since around 1999, you new to these parts??

A few of us skipped the class before lunch and when to my buddy Jimmy's house to watch the launch.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    It's been on the Texas plate since around 1999, you new to these parts??
    Yes... I knew that but you'd think a redesign would be in order. They're still issuing them.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Yes... I knew that but you'd think a redesign would be in order. They're still issuing them.
    No I don't think it's in order the Johnson Space Center is the pivotal player in the space program and we have had over 100 successful shuttle missions.

If you are really wanting to do something more why don't you order a set of theses plates.