Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q: on Big Screen TV's

Default Q: on Big Screen TV's

Hey guys, need some input here.
    I have been looking at some big screen TVs, its been since 95 since I have bought a new TV (31in) and am looking to upgrade to a 52-60in TV.
    I can't spring for a plasma that size.
    Anyone have any input on what is good in that size range?
    There are so many choices with brands and connections and the type of TV's out there now I am kind of lost on making a good decision.
    Whats important is the size, with a decent picture.
    I dont usually watch network TV so I dont have cable but would be using it for movies which I watch a ton of.
    Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    99 Miata Black

Your budget is going to dictate a lot...

Are to looking at something free standing, or something that sits on a cabinet?

Billy, You aren't giving us a whole lot to go on, but the first big question is, HD or not HD?

I'm personally very partial to the DLP™ TV's... for the size you mention, you should be able to pick up a ~50" 720p HD set for the $2k range (LINKIE)
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Free standing, most likely or I could build a Cabinet, I had thought about building a multi-media shelving thingy anyhow.

I am looking to spend around 1000. and 2,500. maybe a little more if the deal is right.
    99 Miata Black

Until High-Def DVD becomes available, you'll have to be careful with size. Once you pass 50-56 inches (depending upon your personal viewing "tastes"), standard DVD (480 line resolution) will start to look "blocky" on 720 line screens, and particularly so on the 1080 line screens that are starting to appear.

If you're not watching standard definition (480i) programming, you probably won't be unhappy with any huge screen (although your wallet may have another opinion).

Best thing you can do is look at lots of screens showing the type of content you want to watch. I just got a Samsung 46" DLP and love it. Standard def programming is "tolerable," even from analog cable channels. The content stored on my DirecTivo, however, looks pretty darned bad, as digital artifacts abound. Standard def digital channels on Comcast look pretty good, though.

DVD's I've watched all look great, but I think everything I've watched so far has been anamorphic.

Good luck in your search!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Thanks guys!
    Just read the Best Buy tutorial on DLP TVs.
    I appreciate the good info on the resolution too.
    Now where's the best place to look for a good deal, the Best Buy one looks pretty good for my price range but I would like to do some shopping around.

Also am looking at upgrading my surround sound system, currently I have JBL speakers 2 rear channels, a center channel, 2 floor speakers, and a sub with a Pioneer head unit that has a blown channel

I have been thinking of a Harmon Kardon head unit, and maybe a bose speaker system....any thoughts?
    99 Miata Black

Unless you have a lot of hearing loss, you'll quickly become disappointed in Bose speakers as they give all new meaning to "not accurate."

JVC makes some great home theater receivers (as does Onkyo) that are a lot cheaper than HK...

I got my TV from Amazon... They had a great price, reasonable shipping, and I didn't sign the waybill until the set was unpacked and running. It was about $750 less from them than buying at BestBuy.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Thanks guys!
    Just read the Best Buy tutorial on DLP TVs.
    I appreciate the good info on the resolution too.
    Now where's the best place to look for a good deal, the Best Buy one looks pretty good for my price range but I would like to do some shopping around.

Also am looking at upgrading my surround sound system, currently I have JBL speakers 2 rear channels, a center channel, 2 floor speakers, and a sub with a Pioneer head unit that has a blown channel

I have been thinking of a Harmon Kardon head unit, and maybe a bose speaker system....any thoughts?
    I have a Harmon Kardon unit and I have never been too thrilled with it... I only got it because it was an $850 unit and Frys had it on clearance for $475. It was much better than any of the other offering in the $500 range, but If I buying an $850 receiver, I suspect I would have gotten something else.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Unless you have a lot of hearing loss, you'll quickly become disappointed in Bose speakers as they give all new meaning to "not accurate."
    I agree on the Bose... I had mine for about a year, but I began saving for my current speakers a month after getting the Bose. I replaced the Bose with Paradigm Monitor Series 7's. I have had them now for about 3 years and still love them.

Another vote for a DLP.

As far as sound goes, skip the Bose. I've got a Definitive Technologies Pro Cinema setup with a Yamaha receiver. It's there smallest setup, but it's exactly what I was looking for and I got a good deal on it. I've also had good luck with Klipsch in the past.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Since we're all talking about DLP™ technology (and it's another chance to plug my company's technology).... There's a really good explaination of how it all works at:

http://www.dlp.com Then click on "launch the demo"
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

DLP kicks arse! You should probably look into weather or not the TVs you are interested in have HDMI ports on them as well. I wouldn't be so worried about HD DVDs though since hopefully Blu-Ray will crush it(although it would be another VHS V. BetaMax scenario).

And depending on where you live I work at Best Buy and we get pretty sweet deals on TVs

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    We love our DLP... Dave's work notwithstanding...
    Don't worry ... I don't work in the DLP™ group... I'm an OMAP™ guy.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Sorry about the HD DVD confusion... I keep forgetting they call that "standard" that now... I meant it as a generic term, I swear!

Which Best Buy Bolix?
    I live in Weatherford, but will come to whichever one you work at.
    99 Miata Black

I don't work for any Best Buy up here in DFW, but I can use my discount at any BB location. I was just wondering how close you were to me(I'm at UTA).

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Bolix
    I don't work for any Best Buy up here in DFW, but I can use my discount at any BB location.
    Discount? How much of a discount?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Discount? How much of a discount?
    I couldn't help but notice this post, talk about discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I got my TV from Amazon... They had a great price, reasonable shipping, and I didn't sign the waybill until the set was unpacked and running. It was about $750 less from them than buying at BestBuy.

On TVs it's a pretty hefty discount but it of course varies from unit to unit. I picked up a 32" Sony LCD HD set which retailed at about $2.7k for $1.5k or so if my memory serves me correct.

This is the TV btw-
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1122655473780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast