Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Track time at MSR (currently miata only)

Any new news on this event??

I'm in.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    I'm in.
    Does that mean I get to capture more video of your headlights popping up and down?

No spins! No spins!

Did you guys see the 9 to 10 page deal on Miatas @ MSR III?? There is some great information in there about car set-up as well as a detailed overview of the event!

On key thing I noticed on item 7:

7. Group 1 may pass anywhere that allows for a clean, safe pass. For group 2, passing is only allowed on the three longest straights (see track map).

As an Autocrosser who doesn't have experience with passing, I'm going to sign up for group 2.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Did you guys see the 9 to 10 page deal on Miatas @ MSR III?? There is some great information in there about car set-up as well as a detailed overview of the event!

On key thing I noticed on item 7:

7. Group 1 may pass anywhere that allows for a clean, safe pass. For group 2, passing is only allowed on the three longest straights (see track map).

As an Autocrosser who doesn't have experience with passing, I'm going to sign up for group 2.

YMMV
    There is quite a bit of controversy regarding that statement. I was already planning on being in Group 2 but I don't know of too many "Advance" drivers that are willing to take their daily drivers out on a "free track".

I think (hope) we will see a change regarding this before all is said and done.
    ...and across the line.

These last posts make me a little concerned. Does everyone consider this a safe well run event?

I haven't driven in one, but have watched several. Any stupidity or recklessness is not tolerated and will be dealt with pretty harshly. A lot of the Group 1 drivers have a ton of experience on the track, most of the passing in corners will be from guys like Gary and Mike who have tons of hp and experience at MSR.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    These last posts make me a little concerned. Does everyone consider this a safe well run event?
    Merv has done these events before, so I'm not too concerned If I don't feel safe with who is around me I can always pit out and rejoin. As I mentioned earlier there is no way in the world I'd do the Group 1 open sesions because I have absolutly 0 (Zero) experience with passing. Which would make me a danger to those around me!!

Yes. It is a safe, well run event. Apart from "that which shall not be discussed," paint doesn't get traded at this sort of event. You have complete control of your safety during a performance driving event. To minimize risk, you have almost complete control of your destiny in making sure that cars aren't "in your personal space" - or at least not for very long.

The key to your safety (and your paint job) is to make sure that any "aggressive" drivers (those riding your bumper through a turn or two) get around you. It's a simple matter of staying to the right when entering the straights and backing out of the throttle when they pull out to pass.

By the same token, if you are running faster than the car in front of you, avoid intimidating them. If the driver is a newbie, riding up their bumper in the braking zones is pretty spooky and can provoke spinning Miatas in your path. If there are lots of cars in your way, you can always pull in to the hot pits and wait for clear track.

I only know of one collision at MSR, and that was a freak incident. I've run the novice group (2) twice in the past with nothing major happening than some spins. Defenitly worth the price at $75 for eight sessions if we get the 50 participants. Hell at $100 its still well worth it.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Merv and I talked, and I'm out because I have too much going on.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    OK so who is going?
    • POS
      BigD
      Miatamaniac92
      Sammm (?)
      tailchaser
      droptop

I'm in, gotta send in the money now.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

OK so who is going?
    • Sammm (?)
    Not me. Not ready for that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    OK so who is going?
    • Sammm (?)
    Aw come on its a ton of fun!

[peer pressure : on] But we understand if your scared, just thought you wanted to be like the cool kids..... [peer pressure : off]

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

OK so who is going?
    • Sammm (?)

[peer pressure : on] But we understand if your scared, just thought you wanted to be like the cool kids..... [peer pressure : off]
    I at your stinkin' peer pressure! I'll have to remain un-cool and get over it I guess.

I at your stinkin' peer pressure! I'll have to remain un-cool and get over it I guess.
    Well your doing a fine job soooo far!

OK so who is going?
    • POS
      BigD
      Miatamaniac92
      tailchaser
      droptop

Just ordered some new rotors from Adrenaline Racing and have new pads ready to install. I'll bleed the system with Motol. :)

I "should" get an alignment but don't know if the funds will allow that.
    ...and across the line.

droptop... Since you're on the east side of the world, you ought to consider visiting the Firestone in Richardson - Jupiter & Campbell, I think. James does an excellent job with the machine, and $129 buys you an alignment every 6 months for as long as you own the car (or more often if necessary).

[Edit: Ooops... Wrong name. Right now.]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast