Thread: Hoosier SO3's on Sale

Default Hoosier SO3's on Sale

Hoosier is offering discounts on the old model SO3's if you can find them.
    Hoosier sale
    205x50x15 103.80 (all sold, see below)

I tried to call them. Seems they only had 13 at that size. I bet they are all gone.

But they did have 75 of the 225x50x14 tires.

249 of the 215x40x16 $108.00

Ok here is an update... I asked Discount tire to see if there where any 205x50x15 in the system or locally. They are all gone including Hoosier manufacturing

General what size would run if lets say you had a set of 6" wide 14" BBS rims????

Thanks!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'll bet these would fit..

45405R3S03 P195/55ZR14 R3S03 M 39 $86.40

P205/55ZR14 & P225/50ZR14 are available in the A3S03. Isn't the "A" for autocross??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    P205/55ZR14 & P225/50ZR14 are available in the A3S03. Isn't the "A" for autocross??
    Yes. A is the softer and less heat tolerant compound. Supposedly its improved since the last time I used it. In 95+ deg heat they were horrible as they would get really skaty. Unless you're a national level competitor or get a really good deal on A's, I would buy the S's.

I ran both tires on my 95'. The 225s where better on sweepers and being aggressive in the slaloms. But you do take a small hit on acceleration. You could tell the weight difference. Some of the National drivers ran 225's up front and 205's in the rear. I never tried that as I could not rotate the tires.

Yep, the compound has changed since 1995 Evil. Last year, Hoosiers were the tire to have if you wanted to win in autocross (and assuming your driving skills were up to the task ). Kumho picked up the pace when they introduced the V710s earlier this year, but they had problems and were recalled (they've just recenlty been "reinstated"). We haven't had any head-to-head battles between the Kumho V710s and last year's Hoosiers (the one's that General Default is talking about in this thread), but most folks feel that they would be about equal.

On the other hand, Hoosier has now come out with a new (2004) compound which is supposed to be even better... to the tire wars continue.

Which ones did you run General the A's or the S's? EvilSpeeder makes a good argument for the S's.

BTW. what does lugnutjon run on his car the A's or S's??

BTW. what does lugnutjon run on his car the A's or S's??
    I'm almost positive that lugnutjon has A's. What I don't know is whether they are 2003 or 2004 compound, but knowing lugnut, they are undoubtedly the better/more expensive 2004 compound.

And if I'm not mistaken, Hoosiers come in "A"s for autocross and "R"s for road/track racing, not "S"s. But I've been wrong before...

The "A" are for autocross. The "R" for road race. Tim Pryor ran the R3S03 on his car. Tim was the Houston Hot shoe at one time. But he had a co-driver so they could get them heated up in the summer.

So if you have a co-driver I think it can save some money and still be competitive in the summer. You could save some money on a single driver also. Hollingsworth use to run the "R" on his Corvette. Not sure if he still does.

I always ran the "A". But for best all around tire the V710 works well in Mineral Wells. The Hoosier picks up the rocks at MW.

Lugnutjon was using 2004 tire compound in the 225 size. He has stated he would use the 205 next time

If they get to hot just water them down between runs. Hard to do at S2000 or BMW events.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    And if I'm not mistaken, Hoosiers come in "A"s for autocross and "R"s for road/track racing, not "S"s. But I've been wrong before...
    You are correct Sir!

You are correct Sir!
    Who me? No waaaaaaaaaay. I'm going home now, since I've had my one right answer for today...

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    ... the V710 works well in Mineral Wells. The Hoosier picks up the rocks at MW...
    lugnut is running Falken Azenis in Mineral Wells this coming weekend, for that very reason (Hoosiers picking up too many rocks)... and because he wants to save his Hoosiers for when it counts -- the concrete surface at Pennington Field. Nobody could even get close to him at the ER event last weekend.

So to summarize, it seems like:

- Kuhmo V710s are the recommended tire for Mineral Wells.
    - Hoosier "A"s are clearly the best tire for Pennington Field (although we haven't really seen what the V710s can do at Pennington Field).
    - Falken Azenis are the best street tire, and are very useful in Mineral Wells if you don't want to run your Hoosiers

Is that about right?

Nobody could even get close to him at the ER event last weekend.
    Oh, come on... You got pretty close to him... it just took 1 or 2 runs too many...

You are correct Sir!
    Who me? No waaaaaaaaaay. I'm going home now, since I've had my one right answer for today...
    Why don't ya take the rest of the week off Sparky!

Brain fart! Doh...

I drove on some 2003 'A' compound at the houston tour a while back and they weren't bad (although my driving was...first time in an mr2), but it also wasn't all that hot.

The last time I was able to compare them back to back was probably 2002 or 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Lugnutjon was using 2004 tire compound in the 225 size. He has stated he would use the 205 next time
    Close. Jon bought 225/45-15 A3S03s last season for Nationals, but bought 205/50-15 A3S04s this season. His 205/50-15 S04s (the new compound) were marginally wider than 205/50-15 V710s, which are almost as wide as 225/45-15 Ecsta V700s.

The only person I've seen running the 225/45-15 S04s is Chris Williams from Austin, and those tires look seriously pinched on a 6" wheel. They're probably closer to 245mm wide in reality.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw