Thread: SP Class question

Exclamation SP Class question

Looking to modify the focus's suspension with springs shocks and sway bars. My problem is that the '05 and up s trim focus' dont have rear sway bars and as such no mounting point. I have found this, but I'm not sure if it would be allowed in Street Prepared. I know the focus isnt you guys specialty, but several have better understanding of the rules.

Per Moutons.org
    14.7 Anti-Roll (Sway) Bars
    Any anti-sway bar is permitted. Bushing material, method of attachment, and locating points are unrestricted. This does not authorize removal of a welded-on part of a subframe toa ccommodate the installation. Components such as anti-roll bars and strut housings which serve dual purposes by also functioning as suspension locators may not be modified in ways which change the suspension geometry or steering geometry, and may not be installed in positions (e.g., upside down) other than that of the original configuration. The bar may serve no other purpose which is not explicitly permitted elsewhere herein (11/2002).
    Does this mean that I can upgrade the lower control arm to allow for the swaybars, or am I reading into that too much.

Thanks for any help.
    -BigDmiata
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDmiata
    I know the focus isnt you guys specialty, but several have better understanding of the rules.
    There a Focus forum? I'd bet they would have know better than we would.

Why not run stock?

The Focuscar has waaaaaay too much lean, and I simply can't leave well enough alone.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

First off, the official SCCA Solo II rules are now available for download at this link. Mouton's site is no longer up to date.

Substitution of control arms with aftermarket parts is not allowed in SP. If that link above is nothing more than an OEM lower control arm with a plate welded to it, and that welded on plate serves no other function than locating or attaching the bar to the car, then you ought to be okay. However, it sounds in this case as though the plate is used to reinforce the lower control arm where the swaybar connects, which ain't legal in my opinion.

Are all Foci on the same line in the Street Prepared index? If so, just use the update/backdate allowances to swap in an earlier model's rear swaybar configuration.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by BigDmiata
    The Focuscar has waaaaaay too much lean, and I simply can't leave well enough alone.
    Not trying to be that much of an but you driver enrichment program should be one of your priorities.

Bigger Front sway bar may be all you need, but what all have you done to the car already??

focusfanatics.com and focaljet.com are two good focus forums. Front sways on FWD cars increase inside wheel spin, so a LSD would be good before sways.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Wouldn't these mods be allowable in STS? Why not just run there?
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley