Thread: Selling a car

Default Selling a car

Hi all,

I am helping my Dad to sell his Toyota Camry. I am new to this selling thing and would like some inputs from you guys.

I have the car listed on criagslist, so far I have a woman interested in it.

She has not seen the car in person and seems to be serious enough to start applying loan for it.

So she had a state farm agent called me and ask for owner's name and address and a fax copy of the title front and back (which I haven't provieded yet) to verify the car is paid off. She said today is her dayoff and she wants everything to be taken care of.

So I suggested her to come by and take a look at the car, make an agreement with my dad and we will go from there.

Does anything seem fishy to you guys?

In general, when you and the buyer made an agreement, is this how the selling process goes?

Agreement made
    Buyer gives cash, check, money order, cashier checks (I know there's risk for everything except cash)
    Seller hands over the keys
    Check cleared
    Seller signs over title

Is it better to sell to cash buyer than one required a loan?

Appreciate all the help!
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Smells fishy to me. Just the fact the buyer is ready to apply for a loan without even seeing the car is a sign. No one needs to see the title before-hand. You can sign it over to the buyer after you have cash in hand.

Get the name, location and number of the State Farm agent. See if you can find them in the phone book or such. Ask if you can call them back.

Cash or a cashiers check always makes things easier.

I would consider making a photocopy of the title, and then going government on the copy with the trusty black permanent marker before sending it to them.

So I don't have to show the title even if the buyer is applying for a loan?

Thanks again for the advices.
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex
    Nope. Doesn't matter. They need money to buy the car whether or not you have clear title. Titus's idea is a good one though.

Thanks again for the advices.
    The buyer of the last car I sold got approved for the loan without the lender seeing the title. We then met at the Credit Union where I presented the title, the buyer reviewed and signed the loan papers, and I was issued a Cashiers Check. In and Out in about 40 minutes with a Check I knew was good.

It's a Camry. Why would you need to see it before you buy it? Isn't this sort of like buying white tube socks?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    The buyer of the last car I sold got approved for the loan without the lender seeing the title. We then met at the Credit Union where I presented the title, the buyer reviewed and signed the loan papers, and I was issued a Cashiers Check. In and Out in about 40 minutes with a Check I knew was good.
    Hey that story sounds familiar. Oh yeah, that was me that bought that killer MPV It's awesome, thanks!

The title part sounds fishy, but nothing else sounds fishy. Just make sure you let the DMV know that you sold the car, or take her down there and make sure she pays tax, title, and license. You don't want you dad being responsible if she drives into anything.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Thanks for all the help guys! Anyone want a low mileage Camry?
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

Thanks for all the help guys! Anyone want a low mileage Camry?
    More details and pics would be helpful
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I have a friend looking for a Camry RIGHT NOW! Send me your info. on the car.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    I have a friend looking for a Camry RIGHT NOW! Send me your info. on the car.
    I have a buyer waiting for the loan check to be cleared. If the deal falls through, I will let you know.

Here's the car info:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/134751685.html
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater