Thread: Black Roadster's Pull-a-dash!

Default Black Roadster's Pull-a-dash!

Since I have Spring Break all next week I thought I'd take the time to pull my dash to replace my carpet.

If anyone with experience in this, (Bean?) would like to assist I will likely be doing this during the day sometime next week. I know it's not as much fun as Daytona Beach and there will be no women flashing their boobies but we do have a Hooters just around the corner.

Let me know if you wanna help.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Pulling dashes... hmmm...
    You can check out the local "scenery" while you're at it.
    ...and across the line.

Well, I certainly have the experience, but not the time. I would, however be available for consultations...... It's really pretty easy:

1. Remove console
    2. Remove radio/HVAC bezel
    3. Remove the metal cover under the steering wheel. Oh, wait, you don't have one!
    4. Find seven small plastic covers, and remove.....
    ...OK OK, here's where they are:
    Two just below the "A" pillers, both sides, and one on each side of the radio console, just above the carpet. The last one is on top of the dash, dead-center by the windshield.
    5. Remove nuts and or bolts from each location.
    6. Disconnect the steering column: Remove the bolts, one on each side of the column (12mm, I think). They bolt into the bracket on the horizontal tube in the dash. Pretty easy to get two with a six inch extension.
    7. Disconnect connectors as you wiggle and waggle the dash, until it is free!

See, that wasn't too bad, now was it???????
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Well, I certainly have the experience, but not the time. I would, however be available for consultations...... It's really pretty easy:

1. Remove console
    2. Remove radio/HVAC bezel
    3. Remove the metal cover under the steering wheel. Oh, wait, you don't have one!
    4. Find seven small plastic covers, and remove.....
    ...OK OK, here's where they are:
    Two just below the "A" pillers, both sides, and one on each side of the radio console, just above the carpet. The last one is on top of the dash, dead-center by the windshield.
    5. Remove nuts and or bolts from each location.
    6. Disconnect the steering column: Remove the bolts, one on each side of the column (12mm, I think). They bolt into the bracket on the horizontal tube in the dash. Pretty easy to get two with a six inch extension.
    7. Disconnect connectors as you wiggle and waggle the dash, until it is free!

See, that wasn't too bad, now was it???????
    You forgot a few:

8. Cut hand on rusty metal supports while trying desperately to wiggle it free.
    9. Run to the doctor for a tetanus shot.

I'll be in town and off work on Monday, so I'm happy to help if you're starting on that day.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Skirt changed out his tan carpet with black with the dash still in place. Go to the egroup and maybe he can save you a lot of time with his experience.

Removing the dash is a real PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata

I guess that depends on how many times you've done it... for me, it's old hat. *

But not initially by choice!

I guess that depends on how many times you've done it... for me, it's old hat. *

And don't forget about the harnes connector under the passinger side. If you don't your oil pressure and temp will not work.

Is that correct bean?
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata
    Skirt changed out his tan carpet with black with the dash still in place. Go to the egroup and maybe he can save you a lot of time with his experience.

I removed the carpet from my first racecar without removing the dash, because the cage was already in and no way to remove the dash, so it can be done. I loosened the bolts at the console and split the carpet forward to the firewall. This worked fine, but you might not want to cut the carpet....
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I got my weeks mixed up. I actually have Spring Break the week after next.

As for pulling the dash, I have an alterior motive. I have an annoying buzz near the glove box that I haven't been able to find. I think it's inside the dash as I have looked for it all around the glovebox/airbag to no avail.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    I got my weeks mixed up. I actually have Spring Break the week after next.

As for pulling the dash, I have an alterior motive. I have an annoying buzz near the glove box that I haven't been able to find. I think it's inside the dash as I have looked for it all around the glovebox/airbag to no avail.
    I have that same annoying buzz! Let me know what day you are planning on doing it... i might just take it off so I can help and if we find it, we can fix my buzz too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    And don't forget about the harnes connector under the passinger side. If you don't your oil pressure and temp will not work.

Is that correct bean?
    No kidding! Thank the heavens for Paul and his Monkey!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Hey --black roadster-- is your's held in by Velcro like Bean's?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I have that same annoying buzz! Let me know what day you are planning on doing it... i might just take it off so I can help and if we find it, we can fix my buzz too!
    We might be able to do it on a weekend if it's better for you. I really don't care when we do it except not this weekend as I have tests in all my classes next week.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    We might be able to do it on a weekend if it's better for you. I really don't care when we do it except not this weekend as I have tests in all my classes next week.
    As hectic as life is these days, I actually think it would be easier to take a day off for it! Just let me know when and I will try to get it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    i have a noies from the dash. its coming right under a crack you can only see when the dash is really clean. from the right eyeball vent in the radio surround, go up to the middle of the dash, then right about 3-4 inches. theres a small crack going front to rear about 2.5 inches long. when it rubs a little i can press down on that spot and have the sound go away. now theres also a squeak to my right, im hoping its only the glove box and nothing else. i can find out where it is other than knowing its to my right. man, these cars get old faster when you set everything stiffer!

Where did you get your carpet from? I need to replace it in my 97'

Quote Originally Posted by pliablemoose
    Where did you get your carpet from? I need to replace it in my 97'
    OEM set from Mad Merv
    ...and across the line.