Thread: SD Memory Cards

Default SD Memory Cards

I'm shopping for an SD card for my new Camera. Cameras books says it just needs to be SD compatible, but then I see a "class" listing as I look around.

They list several classes of SD cards, can someone 'splain to me what advantage or disadvantage of a higher class would be for a digital camera.

SDHC cards are featured in three performance classes:
    SD2 = Class 2 (2 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate)
    SD4 = Class 4 (4 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate)
    SD6 = Class 6 (6 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate)

TIA

Wow. They've finally done it. You can buy class.

Faster speed = less time to get the data on the card onto your computer. IF you have a fast enough computer to take advantage of the higher transfer rate.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Faster speed = less time to get the data on the card onto your computer. IF you have a fast enough computer to take advantage of the higher transfer rate.
    So that's all the higher class will do for me is move it to my computer quicker??

Did some surfing found a deal at kingston.com!

Thanks for the info TC!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 12-27-2007 at 10:23 PM.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Wow. They've finally done it. You can buy class.

Does it alter the speed to which the image is transferred to the card in the camera? Biggest problem I've found is waiting for my camera to put the info on the card. Of course, I'm old school and used to only waiting for the motor drive to roll to the next frame and the whine of the winder made me feel like something was happening.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

If the camera can take advantage of the speed, you won't wait as long for the camera to dump the image to the card, but on most cameras - even the digital SLR's, you're looking at .5 second per image or less even on a "slow" card.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I'm shopping for an SD card for my new Camera. Cameras books says it just needs to be SD compatible, but then I see a "class" listing as I look around.

They list several classes of SD cards, can someone 'splain to me what advantage or disadvantage of a higher class would be for a digital camera.

SDHC cards are featured in three performance classes:
    SD2 = Class 2 (2 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate)
    SD4 = Class 4 (4 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate)
    SD6 = Class 6 (6 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate)

TIA
    The class is just for read speeds, not write speeds. Basically, if you take lots of pics, then you want the higher speed to copy the files to PC faster. The write speed is pretty much fixed and the same on all classes.

If $$$'s are an issue, just get a few of the dirt cheap 2 GB SD cards ($12-$20 range @ Fry's all the time). On a 10 MP camera w/ 2 GB, you get over 250 pics, only crazy shutterbugs need more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by autocrosspicturesnet View Post
    On a 10 MP camera w/ 2 GB, you get over 250 pics, only crazy shutterbugs need more than that.
    Or people that take pictures in RAW format.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!