Thread: Trans go boom

Default Trans go boom

Well it finally happened I knew it was not happy but I wasn't even beating on it. I guess it was all those past beatings It now sounds like a bunch of large bolts being mixed in a large metal bowl. At first I thought it was the motor, so I'll take the trans over the motor any day.

I've located a semi-low mileage one from TTT Auto Recycler in Kennadale. Anyone ever done business with them?

Hey Kags what was it you were saying about the gears required to make the 6spd useable in an FI car? maybe I should look into that as I hear the 6spds are holding up to the power a bit better then the 5spds.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Guess the inspections going to wait a while
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

If you use a 3.636 gear set with a six speed, then the first five gears are like a regular 5 speed with a 4.30's and then you get an tall overdrive. I just bought a set of 3.636 gears from masdamotorsports for $323 and there is a shop here that will set up the gears for $160. So it gets a little pricey, but the six speeds are supposed to be a little stronger. Additionally the MSM gears are supposed to be shot peened according to popular legend...

Sorry to hear about the tranny. Did you have to get it towed? Six speeds are 500-1000 depending on seller... glad it wasnt the motor..

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Yeah I had to get it towed and that guy was a tool. He used the tie rod to hook the tow hook and bent the crap out of it.

As for the rear end that does not sound to bad if you end up with a real overdrive. Do you have the part number for the ones you just ordered? I really need to think about this a bit and see if I can find a 6 speed. I also need to see if there is anyone local that can set them up for a decent price.

As for the inspection it will have to wait. Once I get this figured out I will tweek the tuning and go get it done. Nothing like driving a car with an inspection 5 months out of date.
    Last edited by Flyin96M; 03-26-2006 at 10:12 PM.

MA02-27-110

I know that another guy just bought a set from mazdamotorsports as well. I dont think it showed up in inventory, but they had it. So you might just call and ask.

I have been combing Ebay for six speeds and they are pretty sparce...

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

I have found more than a few 6 speeds ranging from $500-$1200 depending on mileage. If I do it I would rather find one with less than 50K miles so that puts them in the $800-$1000 range. It starts adding up really fast and is making putting a 5 speed in look like the better way to go...for now From what you are saying I should probably go ahead and buy the gears though. Can you send me the contact info please?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M
    I have found more than a few 6 speeds ranging from $500-$1200 depending on mileage. If I do it I would rather find one with less than 50K miles so that puts them in the $800-$1000 range. It starts adding up really fast and is making putting a 5 speed in look like the better way to go...for now From what you are saying I should probably go ahead and buy the gears though. Can you send me the contact info please?
    Interesting... I was going to say you might want to consider new, because I had noticed the other day that Showcase Mazda had some decent prices on new 5-speeds, but when i look at the 6-speed price... DAMN! They must be made of gold!

Description, Year, MSRP Price, Your Price
    TRANSMISSION 5 Speed, 95-03, $1,703.00, $1,277.25
    TRANSMISSION 6 Speed, 02-03, $4,127.40, $3,095.55

You also might want to give Gary a call. He has parted out a few NBs and may still have a transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Description, Year, MSRP Price, Your Price
    TRANSMISSION 5 Speed, 95-03, $1,703.00, $1,277.25
    TRANSMISSION 6 Speed, 02-03, $4,127.40, $3,095.55
    Man those aren't even close to TCB prices!! I can buy three used 5 speeds for the price of a new one and I guarantee the new one won't last any longer then a used one.