Thread: Hit and Run on my RX-8

Default Hit and Run on my RX-8

I decided to take a relaxing drive in my RX-8 today, it has been sitting in the garage since last fri. Not until I arrived at work to realize I have been hit at the driver rear bumper!

I believe the damage was done at the new Walmart (park & tollway) parking lot last fri night, it was dark and I did not notice the damage.

If I am claiming insurance, would this be considered uninsured or comprehensive? In what situation would be wise to claim insurance or pay out of my pocket?

Do you guys know any good body shops around here? If the rear bumper have to be replaced, is there a way to avoid the high price sourcing from the dealerships?

I knew I should never park a newish car at walmart, even if it's a supposing high-end one...

Thanks,

Alan

I have attached some pics of the damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That blows Alan! I'd get an estimate for repairs and then decide if it's worth filing insurance. I'm not sure if that would fall under comprehensive or not.

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex
    walmart, even if it's a supposing high-end one...
    Good one!

Man, what is it with hit and run drivers these days? In some ways it would be more comforting to think it was some granny who didn't realize she hit you.

Sorry about your car. I'd take it to a shop and get an estimate. It may not be too bad. Depending on your deductible, I wouldn't file anything unless the insurance co. will have to pay at least $1,000.

I think this would fall under uninsured motorist.

S.

It will fall under uninsured motorist coverage if you have it. My hit-n-run did.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    It will fall under uninsured motorist coverage if you have it.
    Yep. Usually a $200 deduct -- and WELL WORTH IT. I don't understand the whole "carry insurance then never file on it because they might raise your rates" thing. You carry insurance because you want your car to stay right. By all means file and get it taken care of.

Though I can't recommend their mechanics shop, the body shop at Huffines off Coit is first class. They're a "Service First" center for State Farm (and the equivalent for Farmers and others) which means that they serve as both adjuster and shop. In short, once you work out with them what they're going to do, they just do it. No argument!

Don't worry. Any good shop can set your baby straight...

C

Sorry man, I just didn't have enough room to back up my Suburban.

I have had some nice work done from Calibur Collision in Dallas, and they are a USAA Body shop if that helps
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

German Technology Inc. in Euless is great and has incredible service. They're expensive, but if the insurance company is paying for it, Dan does a great job negotiating with them.

Sorry to see this happened. It's such a pretty car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Thanks for all the kind words guy. I was able to push the bumper cover back into the body last night. Will try to clean up the scratches, lined up the panel in the wheel well and pop the plastic panel around the exhaust in place.

It won't be perfect, but I shall see if I can live with it or get it fixed professionally.
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

Thanks for all the kind words guy. I was able to push the bumper cover back into the body last night. Will try to clean up the scratches, lined up the panel in the wheel well and pop the plastic panel around the exhaust in place.

It won't be perfect, but I shall see if I can live with it or get it fixed professionally.
    If there is paint from the other car on the bumper try some 3M adhesive remover. With some scrubbing, it should come out. Good luck!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    If there is paint from the other car on the bumper try some 3M adhesive remover. With some scrubbing, it should come out. Good luck!
    Thanks for the tip Tom! Where can I find the 3M adhesive remover?

Alan
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thanks for the tip Tom! Where can I find the 3M adhesive remover?
    An automotive paint supply store will have it for sure. Maybe Vatozone.

Just a thought... Unless you plan on keeping this car forever, you need to consider saleability. You may feel like you can live with it, but it is likely that a potential buyer 2 years from now will decide that they would rather buy a clean car than live with your dent. Chances are, you will need to get it fixed in order to be able to sell it. If you are going to get it fixed anyway, get it fixed now. You really don't want to live with it only to pay for it to look perfect for someone else.