Thread: MSR Lap time for FI?

Default MSR Lap time for FI?

Looking for some lap time numbers at MSR for FI miatas? Car setup too..

Just trying to get some ballpark numbers for a friend who's already a member and I'm slowly converting him over to the darkside...

Thanks,
    -s
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

On the old (1.7 mile) track...
    Great suspension, NA motor: Very good time is 1:32
    FI motor, averge suspension: Very good time is 1:32
    Great suspension, FI motor: Very good time is 1:30
    Under 1:30 in a Miata is hoofing it out there...I think Spec Miatas run in the high 1:20s.

Your biggest variable will always be the driver...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoefly
    Looking for some lap time numbers at MSR for FI miatas? Car setup too..

Just trying to get some ballpark numbers for a friend who's already a member and I'm slowly converting him over to the darkside...

Thanks,
    -s
    Last edited by miataspeedracer; 04-10-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Spec Miatas run 1:26 to 1:28's...track record is a high 1:25.
    Sunny, my stock 1992 w/204K miles has run a best of 1:30.254 on a good set of RA1's. 1:34's on my Kumho 711 street tires.

Any turbo/SC should be able to get into the 1:20's with a good set of performance street tires.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Well lap times are all depending on the skill of the driver. I've been going out to MSR for several years now and I'm nowhere as fast as guys like Merv, Shuhart, etc. But these are some times I've personally recorded*:
    - '99 with good suspension, HP+ pads and Azenis - low 1:32's hoping to get to the 31's.
    - '99 with good suspension, HP+ pads and RA-1 - low 1:30:XX
    - '99 with suspension, MP62 @ 210 RWHP, Racing Pads (Hawk HT110) and RA-1 race tires - 1:28 flat. And this was without pushing it (maybe 8/10ths of my limits). I probably could of gotten into the low 1:27's if I pushed it a bit more :)

I know Shuhart can run low 1:26's all day when he had his MP62 240 RWHP, big brake kit using 225/50/15 RA-1 tires (or his hoosiers). Limiting factor seems to be tire grip. He could probablly beat that time with his current setup.

Verges can comsistanly get into the low 1:22's and break into the 21's with his experimental Spec Turbo Miata class car he is developing. He's hoping he can get into the 1:20's with a little more testing/developing. (Sorry Shuhart gave me bad info...it should now be correct)

The thing I've noticed is once you get below 1:30.00 you'll start needing to use race quality brake pads (ie Blues or HT110's), or a BBK and HP+/Blacks, and R compound tires. It make sense since the Spec guys are running similar times and they don't use street pads and street tires.

To me...I just have as much fun running NA with street tires/pads than I did with all the hassles of running FI @ 210 RWHP. Changing rotors, pads and tires every visit gets real old. I prefer the arrive and drive that NA requires :)

*recorded means using a on board HotLap timing system. Not someone using a wrist watch :)
    Last edited by 2K Miata; 04-14-2006 at 05:26 PM.

I agree with 2.K.Miata that it is just as much fun in a stock car with street tires. Just drive out, check pressures and go....... My best time on the 1.7 in Speedie was a 1:26.552, way back at "Miatas at the Ranch" in 2000. We will see if I can get my new SM into the 25's, if I ever get her finished! BTW, all of my times are from the in-track AIM transponder system. If you're serious about lap times, this is the only way to go..................
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    way back at "Miatas at the Ranch" in 2000
    I was there back when I had my '97 FMII... Has it really been 6 years!?
    '97 FMII (previously)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoefly
    I was there back when I had my '97 FMII... Has it really been 6 years!?
    Miata only events are such a blast. It has been 6 years and what scares me is I still have the shirt and still wear it. And the sad part is I'm still SLOW
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Haha. I've still got mine too, although it's got some holes now. And yes, I'm still slow as stink.
    '97 FMII (previously)

MSR Track record in SM for the 1.7 is about 1:25.4 for qualifyiing, and race times in the high 1:25s have gotten commonplace for front runners.

A turbo Miata on RA-1s can run as low as near 1:21 flat, and consistent 1:22s are doable. This requires good conditions of course. This is with 12 psi of intercooled boost, stock 1.8 engine, Torsen, stock brakes, SM type suspension, but nothing terribly fancy (e.g Starion intercooler). The car is stripped and caged with about 2330 with driver.

I feel confident a turbo Miata properly set up to run slicks could break 1:20. The biggest problem is wheelspin in mid corner to exit, as the car rolls enough to lift the rear wheel, making the Torsen useless. Stiffer rear roll bar will induce push. On RA1 there is not enough grip to roll the car over as much.

FWIW I am building this car turnkey for about $20K - the first one should hit the ground any day now.

The MSR master has spoken!

I almost, I mean almost beat Keith on a little TV show we did.

Of course, I had a little lead.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

My best recorded time in my MSM is 1.29.7 - I am fairly certain that I can run that consistently and maybe even beat it, but it has been a long time since I have been out at the track.

-Rich

Yea, But I suck!
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Default MSR Master Kieth Verges

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw View Post
    The MSR master has spoken!

I almost, I mean almost beat Keith on a little TV show we did.

Of course, I had a little lead.

Yes Kieth Verges is the MSR master on both road courses at the ranch.
    Last edited by aceracergofast; 01-28-2007 at 11:01 AM.