Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me overcome my fear of VWs

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    You see the recent article in Autoweek about fuel economy!

Link
    Heh. Better than mine does... 49 mpg in an AUTOMATIC Jetta at speeds high enough to drop a Prius to 41 mpg... <sigh>
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I'm impressed that the Vette returned 27+ mpg. I'd love to see the comparable numbers for a Ferrari 360 or a Porsche 911.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I'm impressed that the Vette returned 27+ mpg.
    Well when the roof flies off, the weight reduction works wonders

I wish Honda/Acura had some nice diesels to be honest. TSX TDI

Well I test drove a VW Passat with the 2.0T this weekend. EPA 31 MPG highway. 300 Mile test drive and I got 36MPG and its a very torquey engine.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater
    300 Mile test drive

S.

It is a car my wife is really liking. And with mountain roads so close it was hard not to resist the urge to burn someone elses gas.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater
    It is a car my wife is really liking. And with mountain roads so close it was hard not to resist the urge to burn someone elses gas.
    And the dealer didn't mind that you were gone for eight hours?

S.

I remember when I was younger my dad was buying a conversion van for my mom. They let him bring it home and let her drive it for a weekend to see if she liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Apparently not... perhaps I can "test drive" an F-250 for my work day.
    No kidding. Maybe I should go "test drive" a Lexus SC430 for the week we're gone to New Mexico in May.

S.

They are really trying to sell them. If driven at the correct speed 300 miles is a lot less than 8 hours too.

well looks like the reviews are mixed. If I were to purchase one new I would get a Passat TDI. but I would not purchase one new, I would go to auction and get one low miles. They never come through auction, even nation wide. There are a few TDI jettas with high miles, but I wouldn't do that.

Well this one is going through auction this week:

2005 VW PASSAT GLS 2.0TDI WGN - GRAY
    13k miles

but look at the note in the comments section:
    "Warning - Engin On"

um yeah....pass

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    Well this one is going through auction this week:

2005 VW PASSAT GLS 2.0TDI WGN - GRAY
    13k miles

but look at the note in the comments section:
    "Warning - Engin On"

um yeah....pass
    Take that light on with a grain of salt... it could mean anything. The only way to definetly find out is to plug a VAG-COM into it and read whatever codes it spits out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    But at 13K miles?
    You could get a check engine light for just not tightening the gas cap all the way.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Bought the ex wife a 02' TDI Golf new, it was great for 2 years, then all kinds of oddball stuff started breaking. It was the 3rd VW diesel I've owned, and it was the worst as far as reliability.

There are few parts sources & you'll end up at the dealership for most of the parts.

Oil changes are a nightmare, engine shroud, belly pan, the oil filter is a bare cannister style system, and VW requires synthetic diesel oil to keep the warranty valid. I did the oil changes & saved $20 each time over the $53 dealership changes (the quickie lube places refused to change the oil on it.)

The MAF sensors are particularly delicate, the engine control systems & sensors on the TDI's mean the legendary durability of diesels is a thing of the past.

When the ex left, she took the TDI, and I can't say I was sorry to see either of them go.

Just remember, you're not just buying a VW, you're joining a cult.

BTW, after it was broken in, the MPG was 39. never broke 40+ MPG, it was an automatic and I did have 16 inch rims from a New Beetle on it.

http://www.tdiclub.com/

For my $, I'd recommend a new Yaris or Fit, pocket the difference in $, and the interest on $12,000 (~$400 annually) you save will pay for your gas over the life of the car....
    Last edited by pliablemoose; 05-07-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12