Thread: New Car Color?

Default New Car Color?

Ok guys, since the flat black is gone, I am building a new SM (94). The whole car is being stripped so I can paint the whole car any color. The whole tub and roll cage will be the same color. Suggestions? I have kicked around two ideas- light blue with orange on the bottom (old Gulf Racing scheme ala Steve McQueen) or bright Corvette Yellow. Let me know what you think would look good.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Were there to many 'wholes or holes" in that last post?
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER

Of the two you've suggested, I like the blue/orange scheme better. Yellow on SMs is nothing new. Other ideas? I'll have to think about it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Whats wrong with black? I like the gulf blue idea.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Check out the Dupont Hot Hues. They have some nice new colors, and you can see what different colors look like together.

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS
    Suggestions? I have kicked around two ideas- light blue with orange on the bottom (old Gulf Racing scheme ala Steve McQueen) .
    But then you would be expected to be as fast as Steve McQueen......

Go for something different, that will stand out. MULTI colors, perhaps a "rainbow"?
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Hey, I followed you up Midway a few weeks ago on the way to the hockey rink in Frisco! Car looked badass! Wheels are soo fat and stick out!

I think some kind of vibrant purple or blue with silver stripes/accents would be cool, like Team Audi's LMP cars from last year or so. Or a bright blue with green accents.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer
    Porsche Tangerine Orange!!!!

I 2nd that... Safety Orange :)
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Hugger Orange!

I've always thought a white racing car with color-matched wheel centers and rocker panel stripes would look sweet. Kinda like the old Porsche Carrera RS:

Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Paint it reflective white or yellow... Would be great for night races
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I second the Orange, Konig has some great Orange rims for sale
    99 Miata Black

Orange is a option I was considering. I can't go multi colors as Merv suggested, as I still must contend with the threat of body contact. I guess one thing to consider is that all my wheels are black. I like black wheels as you don't have to spend all your time inbetween sessions cleaning wheels! The hardtop is silver although it can be painted (which is what I would do if I went with either of my first two ideas.) The main thing is to pick a color that is easy to match if a fender is in need of replacment. I am pretty sure it should be a light color which helps with heat in the summer.

Keep the ideas coming I still have a week or two to decide. AND..... I am more undecided then before.
    Mac

Easy to match?

ho about a B&W scheme a la a police car? :)
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

A very bright color so that back markers can see you coming and get the hell out of the way. Dark colors are hard to see in the morrors.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

lambo does a bad ass orange, but house of kolor has the most perfect pearl white.