Thread: FI experts in DFW?

Default FI experts in DFW?

Any shop around or people experienced with Greddy turbos?? I know of a Jackson Racing Supercharger retailer/installer locally but don't know of any other experienced / recomended FI shops.... I've seen Greddy Turbos dirt cheap and would consider one if I had local support..... My application is for a 92 with only about 41,000 miles at this point....

I can give you some help. I have the greddy trubo on my 91. What kinda questions do you have?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

My 2 questions are when I drop it off, how much it will cost and when I can I pick it up. I want it to be "debugged" basically... I like my car too much to have an amateur (me) f it up.

Default Reply

Hmm. How much are you looking to spend? The greddy is the cheap DIY kit. A completly installed kit with gurantee's and warranties and support will cost anywhere from 2-5K depending on who does it, what kit it is (besides a greddy), and how much prep you do to the other parts of the car as well.

I would not recomend a greddy turbo if you do not plan on checking out the system on a atleast monthly or bi-weekly basis. All the components need atleast a good visual inspection. You also HAVE (these points are debatable but highly recomended from most "experts) to use 93 octain(to prevent detonation), change your oil every 3K - 5K, and use synthetic oil also.

With that said the greddy can be reliable, with about 2K dollars before the install. I am sure if you purchased all the stuff it could be installed with a little help from me and some other people on the board if you provided atleast the food and the drinks.

I would offer my house to do an install, but I live in a dorm at UTA.

That said I would purchase the folowing to make the greddy kit reliable:
    Greddy kit: $1050
    FM Heatshield: $50
    Oil return hose and tap from FM:$25
    Bipes ACU: 200
    Intercooler Kit from 15psi.com: 200-400
    New radiator (depending on the condition of yours and if it kits hot in the summer): $115
    General Tune Up (depending on maintence already performed), spark plugs, spark plug wire, new fuel filter, possibly new timing belt, synthetic tranny and dif fluid:80-100
    Ceramic coating the DP and manifold: 100-150
    New nuts, bolts, and studs to replace the kit hardware:15
    Heat Wrap:20
    BOV:20-150
    Turbo Timer (depending on driver preference):55-150
    All this will get you 150-165 RWHP at 6 PSI

Let me know what you think or if I missed something. I would also read the http://www.greddyturbofaqs.com/.

Chris

Thanks for the info MiataManiac. This is something that I'm not going to jump into just yet. I haven't even ridden in an FI Miata of any kind yet, but is something I'm very interested in. I'm in a slooow research phase, but still very interested in this.

Well you got me curious now. What kinda money are you looking to spend on just power?

Surgeon General's warning: boost is highly addictive and is a known leading cause for spending more and more money on your Miata.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I've already done the timing bump, JR CAI, JR hi-flow cat, and JR cat-back stainless exhaust. These were done together and made a very noticable diff. I really like the way it drives now, but as you say, power is addictive and I might need more..blah, blah, blah.

I go back and forth on whether to get an altogether different car (E36 BMW M3?, Suby WRX, etc, etc), or put $2-3k into turbo or JR supercharger (I know, more $$) Financially, it makes sense to just enjoy it the way it is for a few years, but, I'm a car nut and think about all my options too much. Who knows what I'll end up with... Also, the Miata is verrry cheap for me to insure, and that is another factor to consider over getting a newer car...

Well if you are not mechanically inclined then I would suggest the M45 Jackson Racing SC. Turbos require tinkering, and if you are not the person that installs it then you won't know what to do when something happens, so you will be a the mercy of the mechanic. I have also heard that JR is selling their kits at a cheeper price now. I will also add that a SC will have less lag and more bottom end torque than a greedy.

That said I have FM's turbo kit and I installed it myself. I know what I am doing and took my time, but I still had gremlins. This is not a problem for me since I like to tinker, but if you don't it would be a headach. The benifit of this system is that it has netted me @ 225 rear wheel hp. Way to much for me on the track, but I always have a smile on my face when I'm driving it.

I can be mechanically inclined when I want to be, but I have had less desire to tinker with cars as the years roll by. And increasing the smile on your face is what it's all about. I have actually started doing small things on the Miata myself and am enjoying it....