Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol mix in N. TX.

Default Ethanol mix in N. TX.

I understand we in N.Texas are going to be getting an ethanol mix gas at the pumps pretty soon. Does anyone have any more concrete info on this?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Default Anybody home?

Aren't any of you guys worried about a 10% drop in mpg and truley crappy engine performance?

You seem to be the only one with an inside track on this, so what all do ya know???

Are you talking about the E85 stuff?

From what I found online there are only a few places in the state currently offering it, and none in N Texas.

FWIW, they don't just 'force' you to use an ethanol mix in all grades of gas.. Up in Nebraska, Iowa etc where it's common, it's on a separate pump, just like 87 and 93 octane...

Except it's a whole lot cheaper!
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Didn't we go through this years ago?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Didn't we go through this years ago?
    Nah Zebadiah your thinking the internal combustion engine, and it looks like you were correct it will never catch on!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Nah Zebadiah your thinking the internal combustion engine, and it looks like you were correct it will never catch on!
    Steam is the wave of the future!

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    Are you talking about the E85 stuff?

From what I found online there are only a few places in the state currently offering it, and none in N Texas.

FWIW, they don't just 'force' you to use an ethanol mix in all grades of gas.. Up in Nebraska, Iowa etc where it's common, it's on a separate pump, just like 87 and 93 octane...

Except it's a whole lot cheaper!
    Nah... E85 is 85% Ethanol... it requires a car made to be able to handle it.

I think he is talking about E10 which is 10% Ethanol, and is supposed to be compatible with most cars on the road. Minnesota requires it, and several states are taking a look at it. I haven't heard any mention of Texas looking at. More Info on E10 switchovers.

There was an article in USA Today about how one of the additives in gasoline was being phased out this summer and was going to be replaced by Ethanol. They expect the usual shortages and gas price spikes because of it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    There was an article in USA Today about how one of the additives in gasoline was being phased out this summer and was going to be replaced by Ethanol. They expect the usual shortages and gas price spikes because of it.

RJ
    That's pretty much what I had heard. An ethanol mix is definately not a performance enhancer. I understand that ethanol has a higher ignition point than the gas it's mixed with, making the mixture less "volatile". I hope that they only require that in the MetroMess, and we can still get "real" gas out in the country somewhere, nearby.

Way to go. Use half a tank to go down to the country to get the "real juice" and burn another half tank on the way back!
    Gabriel

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    Way to go. Use half a tank to go down to the country to get the "real juice" and burn another half tank on the way back!
    ...or loose 10% of your HP with the funky mix...
    Not good for AX or other events!

it's not that far to the good stuff when you're at events in Mineral Wells... And it's cheaper, to boot.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    ...or loose 10% of your HP with the funky mix...
    Where do you get 10%??

Hey I found something relevent on the subject with Google!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Where do you get 10%??

Hey I found something relevent on the subject with Google!
    And here are some FAQs with info on performance.

I have a 79 Chevy 350 engine. By using ethanol blended fuels will I decrease both the gas milage and the horse power?
    A:

Excellent question! Our automotive expert, Allen Davenport, with Ranken Tech, confers that "you will loose very little power or gas mileage using E-10 fuel. The average loss of gas mileage with E-10 is about 2% and the power loss is not noticeable. The BTU (heat units) per gallon are very close between E-10 and straight gasoline, I seem to recall about 4,000 BTU per gallon difference which amounts to about 3%, however because of the better burn of the ethanol you gain back about 1% in efficiency".

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    it's not that far to the good stuff when you're at events in Mineral Wells... And it's cheaper, to boot.
    I heard from the folks at the Gas station here in Weatherford that prices are about to go up to around $3.00 a gallon because of the Ethanol, and they will be getting it soon.
    99 Miata Black

Dallas morning news says E85 is coming to North Texas... Less scary, as it's an "option" at the pump. Kroger is the first retailer to offer it. It will carry a lower per gallon cost (which it should, since it has lower energy content).

Not likely we'll see any more than the 5-10% currently fouling our fuels mandated.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast