Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Region SCCA #5 - Pennington Field, 7/25/04

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    Has anyone heard how many of the Formula SAE drivers are running on Sunday?
    Almost 40. Combined with the Novice schools today, it's going to be a long day tomorrow.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Almost 40. Combined with the Novice schools today, it's going to be a long day tomorrow.
    Yikes! That does nothing to motivate me! Any hear anything on the run - work order for Sunday??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Yikes! That does nothing to motivate me! Any hear anything on the run - work order for Sunday??
    I'm bailing. Work related disaster supercedes. Y'all have fun now, y'hear!

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I'm bailing. Work related disaster supercedes. Y'all have fun now, y'hear!
    Sorry to hear that, TC.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Since no one has said anything about yesterday's event, I guess I'll go first. Due to the extreme number of drivers (I think I heard someone say 278 or something crazy like that), we only got 3 runs. On the upside, you couldn't have asked for better weather late in July. Most of the day was cloudy, cool and breezy. The sun broke out late in the event, but it never got too hot with the wind coming out of the north all day.

IIRC, CS honors was taken by lugnutjon, Altiain in second and John B. in third. POS took second in ES and sammm took second in Street Tire.

The SAE carts came out to play and so did 40-50 novice drivers that had taken the SCCA Drivers class on Saturday.

It was a long freaking day!

Seemed as if timing and scoring were having some real problems yesterday. Which actually worked well for me since I ended up getting a re-run! I’m not so sure how I finished second in ES figure Jimmy was having some cone issues. But I’ll happily take my 2nd place finish!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Seemed as if timing and scoring were having some real problems yesterday. Which actually worked well for me since I ended up getting a re-run! I’m not so sure how I finished second in ES figure Jimmy was having some cone issues. But I’ll happily take my 2nd place finish!
    I got 2 re-runs! It helped since I coned in both my timing issue run and the first re-run. What did not help was the new High Mileage Azenis Sammm arranged for me to use. When O+ can beat me in TES with a failing clutch, I need an excuse...other than the obvious "I SUCK". I said it - nobody needs to repeat it. Thank you. :P

I'm just so glad I dropped a bundle last weekend learning to go fast, or I'd still be out there finishing my first run.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

It was indeed a long day, although C Stock ran in 2nd heat and most of us had worked earlier, so we had no one to blame but ourselves.

Even though it was a long day, I enjoyed it (for the most part). The weather was great, the course was a lot of fun, and I finally have worthwhile tires again! I did come in 2nd behind lugnitjon, but that only tells half the story - instead of being .7-1+ seconds behind him like most of us have been all season, with the new V710s I lost to him by a mere tenth of a second. It was nice to really have a shot for once, even if I couldn't quite capitalize on it.

There were some problems with the event. Registration wasn't open at 7:30, although they did get things going about 7:45. Timing and scoring had some real issues, especially later in the day - Clovis ran in the 5th heat and got three reruns due to timing problems! Lastly, although Neal tried valiantly to fill Tailchaser's role as worker chief, we had some real problems with workers. I don't know if the SAE guys got a by on working or what, but with over 250 drivers there was no reason for us to fall short on 5th heat workers and have no course cleanup personnel at all.

I think we need a support group at the next board meeting to push for a 200-entry cap at all events. When we exceed that number, the problems and glitches seem to rise exponentially, and the quality of the event really suffers. We're the only part of Texas Region in the black this season (by over $10k so far according to Tom Ramey), so it's not like we need the money that extra entrants above 200 bring. In addition, I think we need to push again for suspending people who skip their work assignments, because this is starting to happen all to frequently. If we can't count on someone to do their work assignment, then they shouldn't be welcome at the events.
    Iain

In addition, I think we need to push again for suspending people who skip their work assignments, because this is starting to happen all to frequently. If we can't count on someone to do their work assignment, then they shouldn't be welcome at the events.
    It was announced at the end of the day that if you fail to work and want to come back, you have to work 2 heats or go home. The names of those who shirk will be posted on the SoloII site and on every sign post in the land.

This announcement received more applause than all the awards combined.
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    In addition, I think we need to push again for suspending people who skip their work assignments, because this is starting to happen all to frequently. If we can't count on someone to do their work assignment, then they shouldn't be welcome at the events.
    It was announced at the end of the day that if you fail to work and want to come back, you have to work 2 heats or go home. The names of those who shirk will be posted on the SoloII site and on every sign post in the land.

This announcement received more applause than all the awards combined.
    I would agree with that as well...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Hallelujah! I had to call control 3-4 times after my work assignment ended to get them to send out replacement workers for my corner. They all seemed surprised that I was still working after Heat 3 ended. Who's driving this bus?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Hallelujah! I had to call control 3-4 times after my work assignment ended to get them to send out replacement workers for my corner. They all seemed surprised that I was still working after Heat 3 ended. Who's driving this bus?
    I give you a lot of credit for staying out! How in the heck could the have been short workers yesterday! Heck there were around 275 people in attendance!

Did anyone hear how many folks ditched the event??

On the mailing list they only announced five names. Seems to me that if five people missing out of 270+ can cause that many problems, then there is a larger issue at hand.
    Iain

I see a couple of results we we forgot to mention, Brock won his class (sm2?), and Mark52 was the winner of CSP!

BTW. I took a few pictures at the event, I'll try and get them posted soon!

I see a couple of results we we forgot to mention, Brock won his class (sm2?), and Mark52 was the winner of CSP!

STS2 class, but it is hardly worth mentioning. I'm still driving like crap after being off for 9 months.

STS2 class, but it is hardly worth mentioning. I'm still driving like crap after being off for 9 months.
    Who cares ya won!

I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody since there was a ton of Miati at the SCCA Event yesterday!

Did y'all watch the SAE teams play? How'd they do?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    Did y'all watch the SAE teams play? How'd they do?

Chris
    The ones that didn't break were pretty fast. But it was more entertaining to watch the ones that broke, like the University of Kansas car who couldn't get it under control past the finish and backed it into the curb, destroying the rear end.

I can't speak for others, but I'd personally prefer if the karts, Mod cars and SAE cars went and played somewhere else. That, or let them all run last, separate from the "normal" cars, so that when they break they only cause delays for themselves. It's hard to concentrate on the run you're about to make when you're sitting in the staging line sucking on methanol fumes with the sound of 14 chainsaws reverberating through your skull.
    Iain

On one of my MANY RUNS, the starter said go, and I said, "We got a problem." About that time half the kids in Kansas ran by us. I didn't see it, but I heard it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast