View Poll Results: What brake pads do you recommend FOR ME?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't ask me... I havn't tried anything other than what I have now!

4 17.39%
  • Mazda OEM

5 21.74%
  • Hawk HPS (Street) (TDR, Goodwin)

3 13.04%
  • Hawk HP Plus (TDR, Goodwin)

4 17.39%
  • Porterfield R4S sport (FM, Goodwin)

0 0%
  • Porterfield R4 race (FM, Goodwin)

1 4.35%
  • Mintex (Goodwin)

0 0%
  • EBC Green Stuff (Goodwin)

2 8.70%
  • Other

4 17.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brake pads do you recommend FOR ME?

Default What brake pads do you recommend FOR ME?

I need pads and want your opinion. These pads will see about 5k miles per year on the street, plus a couple track days and (hopefully) a couple autocrosses each year. I have a Supercharged 92.

Please, don't vote for a pad if you have never used anything other than it... I am looking for input from the guys that have tried a few different types.

I have used OEM and HP+ The HP+ are too much for the street. Loud and dust ALOT! I voted for OEM, since they are very good pads. However, since you have the supercharger, you might step up. The 3 track days I have done have seen my OEM pads never fade. Also through tons of autoX they last a while too. No noise, and little dust. Plus they are cheap.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Another vote for OEM. That's the only pads I have ever used on my Miatae and have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Another vote for OEM. That's the only pads I have ever used on my Miatae and have no complaints.
    Ofcourse if you drive like sammm, these are the only brakes you'll need

Only you can decide what's right for you, but I have OEMs on my '96 and Porterfield Sports on my '93.

The Porterfields grip a little harder, but take a moment to warm up -- like the first stop sign you hit on the way to work, etc. I can't really say anything bad about either of them.

The OEMs are cheaper. :)

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    Only you can decide what's right for you, but I have OEMs on my '96 and Porterfield Sports on my '93.

The Porterfields grip a little harder, but take a moment to warm up -- like the first stop sign you hit on the way to work, etc. I can't really say anything bad about either of them.

The OEMs are cheaper. :)

Chuck
    I have the Porterfield sports now, and like them but I don't have a clue what is good or bad. In the last 6 months, I have had 3 different people that have driven my car question my brake performance.
    Last edited by Titus; 10-29-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Come drive our '96 and see what you think, they have the HP + which are still my favorite for the street and the track.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    Come drive our '96 and see what you think, they have the HP + which are still my favorite for the street and the track.

Gary
    Hmmm actually test the products... what a concept!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I have the Porterfield sports now, and like them but I don't have a clue what is good or bad. In the last 6 months, I have had 3 different people that have driven my car question my brake performance.
    Now I remember! Pads are not your problem. You have other issues with your brakes we need to work on before you worry about pads.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Now I remember! Pads are not your problem. You have other issues with your brakes we need to work on before you worry about pads.
    Grrrrrr... Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Grrrrrr... Care to elaborate?
    Grrrr???? Pedal feel is soft. It may be as simple as a weak brake line. Surely we'll have a tech day soon.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Grrrr????
    As in more money.

Get ya some stainless lines first... then get the different pads.

If you have a line going soft, you don't want to have it blow. It sucks. Had that happen on the wife's Olds Cutlass Supreme years back.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

<perk> Tech Day?
    I could use new pads and fluid change
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1

Gary
    I like the HP+ for track days, but I hate them on the street. They dust like a maid on speed, plus they grumble and squeal a lot in city driving. I keep a set in my toolbox for track days, but that's the only time they're on the car.

I've been through two sets of HP+ on the Miata, two sets of OEMs, and I'm now on my second set of Axxis Ultimates. They're probably more comparable to the Hawk HPS pads (not quite as aggressive as the HP+), but they don't dust excessively and they're quiet for street use, while offering a much better initial bite than the OEMs, along with good modulation.

I've used Porterfields and EBC Greens on other cars, and the Axxis Ultimates so far have been the best combinaiton of street/light track pad I've found.
    Last edited by altiain; 10-30-2005 at 10:19 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

BTW Titus - do you still have the OEM 1.6L brakes? Because they suck, in my opinion. Every 1.6L car I've ever instructed in had horrible brakes.

Before I shelled out for a new set of performance pads for the 1.6L brakes, I'd look into buying a used set of OEM 1.8L brakes - they'll be a vast improvement.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    BTW Titus - do you still have the OEM 1.6L brakes? Because they suck, in my opinion. Every 1.6L car I've ever instructed in had horrible brakes.

Before I shelled out for a new set of performance pads for the 1.6L brakes, I'd look into buying a used set of OEM 1.8L brakes - they'll be a vast improvement.
    This has been stuck in the back of my head for a while, but I have been doing a good job suppressing the $$$ thought. you for reminding me!

Let me chime in.

I would goto a junkyard and get 1.8 brakes, brackets and rotors for about $200. You will probably already have decent pads on them. Save you pennies and only worry about your front brakes for pad changes. The 1.8 brakes are a HUGE improvement in themselves.

Since you are only going to track the car a little bit don't worry about the track. The Miata is VERY light on brakes and the 1.8s perform VERY well.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

And I just happen to have a 1.8 set complete for sale. Go figure?

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast