Thread: Battery Light

Default Battery Light

On the way home this afternoon I noticed the battery light on while I was at a light. As soon as I brought the revs up it went out, and didnt come back on until I was at idle again. Is this warning me of my alternators impending doom? Should I go ahead and order one? Altiain where did you get yours? I have 90K miles now on my car.

Ya could always do a search.......

But yea sounds like an alternator that is heading to a better place.

Either the alternator, or excessive horse poo causing your terminals to corrode.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Well on the way to work and on the way home tonight no sign of the light. I will check Mazdaspeed though and see what it takes to get one here.

Edit: After rereading Altiain's thread I am not feeling lucky. There is a NAPA open tomorrow in Arlington. I plan on calling them. I hope they are open Monday.
    Last edited by Majik; 07-01-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Your alternator is about to die.

I bought one from a junkyard. Then Jon gave me a rebuilt one in exchange for paying for the Houston Tour hotel. I've got the rebuilt one in the car now.

Jon only paid like $60 to have his old one rebuilt. I've got two spares sitting on a shelf in my garage - you're welcome to come and get one, then you can have it rebuilt before yours dies. One of the ones I have *should* be good - I thought it was going bad, only to find when I removed it that the wire terminal had not been properly retightened (upon engine reinstallation, *cough* *cough*), and the terminal housing had been melted due to arcing. You should be able to reuse the terminal out of your current alternator.

Beware NAPA rebuilds - I bought one of these before buying a junkyard one. The threaded mounting hole had been stripped out and helicoiled... with the wrong size thread. I took it back.
    Last edited by altiain; 07-01-2006 at 09:29 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Your alternator is about to die.

I bought one from a junkyard. Then Jon gave me a rebuilt one in exchange for paying for the Houston Tour hotel. I've got the rebuilt one in the car now.

Jon only paid like $60 to have his old one rebuilt. I've got two spares that need to be rebuilt sitting on a shelf in my garage - you're welcome to come and get one, then you can have it rebuilt before yours dies.
    Do you know how long it took to have it rebuilt? And where he had it done? I am going to try and use the car the least amount possible. Especially since I dont have to work until Wed. I was going to do some family stuff Monday though. I would love to just have one rebuilt but I feel very certain I am on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Do you know how long it took to have it rebuilt? And where he had it done? I am going to try and use the car the least amount possible. Especially since I dont have to work until Wed. I was going to do some family stuff Monday though. I would love to just have one rebuilt but I feel very certain I am on borrowed time.
    Dunno. You could probably get by on the spare I've got while you had your current one rebuilt. Like I said, it never threw a battery light, just did some strange things that i later tracked to the improperly tightened terminal.

I'll be home tomorrow afternoon if you want ot swing by and pick it up. Depending on my schedule, I might even be able to help you install it - it doesn't take long to do.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well I went over the Casa de Altiain today and we got the alternators swapped. While we probably didnt qualify for a Le mans team it didnt take too long. All was well on the drive home. I am going to go ahead and get my original rebuilt. Altiain and I decided that it would be a good idea for me to keep an extra since I am on the west side of town and he is soon going to be on the far east side. So let it be known I have a spare alternator incase someone is in a jam. Thanks again for the help Altiain.

It would have only taken half an hour if we hadn't needed to rebuild my spare alternator.

Glad to hear you had no problems on the way home. I would definitely get your old one rebuilt, as I have no real idea of how long that spare one will last. Thankfully, they tend to give you some warning signs before they let go.
    Iain

Exclamation Clarification required

Wait a minute I call !

The way I read this post it would appear Altiain did something nice for someone other than himself!

Isn't this one of the signs of the Apocalypse!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Wait a minute I call !

The way I read this post it would appear Altiain did something nice for someone other than himself!

Isn't this one of the signs of the Apocalypse!

I'm hurt by your insinuation.
    Iain