Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCCA Caroll Smith Memorial Autocross - July 23, 2006

Yep, this is the FSAE weekend.

You probably won't see them on the DLB site, as Dr. Bob Woods has it all arranged with the BOD and he gives a list to registration for them to enter into the computer. I wouldn't be surprised if they are spread out over the whole day, as the last I heard there will be 26 drivers in up to 15 cars on Sunday. But the final count of cars is probably lower. It also depends on how many are still running after Saturday.

And a whole heat of Mod cars only just doesn't make much sense to me, as some need time to cool and possibly need some repair. These cars are more tempermental then an BM or CM. FM's - sometimes.

There are 7 schools coming up here (15 cars) to UTA Arlington this weekend for the annual Texas Autocross weekend that Dr. Bob Woods and UTA holds.

It's interesting to see how different each schools cars are.

Later,

SpinOutF500

Make sure the course design doesnt include any loops...

Makes me wish I already owned my Kart. :)

I'm signed up in ES, I'll be going for pax time (though Avons surely won't get the job done for me I fear) lol :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

SpinoutF500 has it right on the money. 26 FSAE drivers at last count, and they won't show on the list until Sunday morning.

There's usually some attrition on Saturday, but that number won't be far off.

Their runs will be spread out over the whole day, with Dr Bob orchestrating.
    A Z06 is just like a Miata, but with the other half of the motor . . .

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

McDonald's opens at 7. I'll probably be gone by then, but anybody else stopping?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Engine Builder

McDonald's where? If there's one in Mineral Wells on the way to the event, my girlfriend and I might stop, but I think we'll probably just eat cereal or something before leaving.

Anybody know how long it takes to get from central Dallas to the airport? I don't know how much time to allow. An hour and a half? I think that's what google said, but it's been bad to me before on long-ish trip times.

Yeah, about 1:30 to 1:45 for you.

Engine Builder

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on showing up around 7:30-7:45, does that sound about right? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first time, and even though I've read a bunch of stuff about how to do stuff, I still like to hear it from local people .

See you guys there!

Quote Originally Posted by tmanAg08
    McDonald's where? If there's one in Mineral Wells on the way to the event, my girlfriend and I might stop, but I think we'll probably just eat cereal or something before leaving.
    It's on the way McDonald's Exit 418...just west of the I20/I30 merge.

It was a long day at the track, that's for sure. I was able to take my lessons from yesterday and apply them, which created a good day for me. I was able to really push the car hard and went from a 97-second run one to a 91-second run five. I spun on run six, which is too bad, as I was doing pretty good.

BTW, I found a route out there that I prefer over 180:

- Take 20 west to FM 113.
    - Take 113 north to 3028 in Milsap.
    - Take 3028 west to 1195.
    - Take 1195 north to the Mineralring.

It only saves about 5 minutes, but it is much more pleasant. There are no stoplights.

Looking forward to ER at BMS. Tman and Sixshooter, you need to try to make it out. It is a much smaller track than the Mineralring, plus no SAE cars breaking down. Those SAE cars were cool, though.

Well tmanAg08 what did ya think of your first AX??

It was nice meeting you and your gf!

Was a fun event I really enjoyed the course! The SCCA kids did a great job yesterday and other than the occasional FSAE car dead on track the event seemed to go very well!

Congrats to POS Racing and jrj512! Mick got 1st in CS and Jerrett was fastest stock Miata on street tires.
    I didn't do so well; forgot my white cane at home.
    Last edited by Darron65; 07-24-2006 at 08:55 AM.

It was fun besides a few turns that seemed odd. I wish we had 3 heats instead of 2 though. No time for lunch
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Are all of the events down here run like this one? 2 Heats with 120 plus and two portions to each heat? Not bitchin' just wondering the logic behind it versus running say 4 heats and giving folks a little shorter day and less time in grid and working course.

I'm new to this area so I'm just seeking some background on the logic.

Steve E

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E
    Are all of the events down here run like this one? 2 Heats with 120 plus and two portions to each heat? Not bitchin' just wondering the logic behind it versus running say 4 heats and giving folks a little shorter day and less time in grid and working course.

I'm new to this area so I'm just seeking some background on the logic.

Steve E
    That is how SCCA and ER do it. BMW and S2000 break into two groups, where each group runs and works in both the morning and afternoon. You get four hot passes in the morning and four more in the afternoon. I can't remember how Porsche does it.

I think SCCA and ER have more entrants and BMW and S2000, so they tend to give less runs in the same time period. Sunday was also a little abnormal, with the SAE entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Congrats to POS Racing and jrj512! Mick got 1st in CS and Jerrett was fastest stock Miata on street tires.
    I didn't do so well; forgot my white cane at home.
    Thanks, Darren. Hope to see you at ER on Sunday.

"That is how SCCA and ER do it. BMW and S2000 break into two groups, where each group runs and works in both the morning and afternoon. You get four hot passes in the morning and four more in the afternoon. I can't remember how Porsche does it."

Are the marque club events open to all drivers without regard to car make?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E
    "That is how SCCA and ER do it. BMW and S2000 break into two groups, where each group runs and works in both the morning and afternoon. You get four hot passes in the morning and four more in the afternoon. I can't remember how Porsche does it."

Are the marque club events open to all drivers without regard to car make?
    Yes, with limits on total numbers.

I doubt that SCCA will run only two groups again. That format allows no down time for participants.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Wait a minute haven't we done several SCCA events where we has a run/work/rest format?? Worked one heat, ran one heat, and had the other heat open. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Think they did the run/work/run/work at this event due to the large number of peeps in attendance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast