Thread: Ridin' the Dragon's Tail!

Default Ridin' the Dragon's Tail!

WOW... If you've never been, it's one H-E-DoubleHockySticks of an experience! The views are breathtaking and the drive is VERY challenging.

If you arent' sure what I'm talking about it is this: A section of US Hwy 129 between Tennessee and North Carolina where there are 318 curves in 11 miles.

I started out at 6am EST and drove from Alcoa, TN down 129 and took a few pics along the way. The lakes were all WAY up - up to the bottom branches on the trees by the edge.

The nice part was the first drive through - the roads were wet and i wasn't sure how fast I could take the corners. I met up with a couple of motorcyclists and followed them through the first time. Kept up nicely - listened for their exhaust notes to know when to accelerate and watched the brake lights for deceleration... All the time I kept saying "smooth on... smooth off" to myself as I didn't want to have sudden speed changes on the wet road. As the road dried before the next run I was able to take it much faster the next time through. First time was 4k to 6.5k on the tach in 2nd... had it in 3rd a lot the second time through. It was an intense 11 mile set of decelleration, turn, accelerate, and repeat. Everyone was nice enough to move off the road to let faster traffic by except for one person hauling a trailerload of motorcycles back.

Picked up the normal souvenirs and did some exploring on backroads before heading back. Stopped by mom's to pick up the kiddo and clocked 938 miles on the road from the TN end of the dragon to the house. Add in the miles on the Dragon & from the hotel to it and it was around 1000 miles. Got home at 10:30pm CST.

Also thought I'd thrown in a pic of the President Clinton Library in Little Rock. Took that pic while flying down the interstate at 70mph. The locals call it the "Trailer over the river" - - see if you can figure out why.

I want to go back & do it again. Maybe go to the "Miatas at the Gap" or just get a group from here and have a long, but fun drive. Maybe even scope out some vinyards on the way to break up the drive. Next time I'll take along a real camera... the disposable one didn't do worth crap.

RJ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Kick ass!

I believe my parents Solstice group is about to head up there in a few weeks. My parents are skipping this one but we would love to do the trip next year though. When is the Miata's at the Gap? Or like you said, get a group from here, maybe invite some other car groups like the RX7's, the S2K club, and the Solstice guys.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Suspension Modder

Too bad thats so far away. looks like a realy fun drive.

It's fun. I've been there twice for Miatas at the Gap. If you're there for the coming up weekend, avoid the Dragon on Saturday. That is when most of the folks are there and where most of the wrecks occur. I saw one wreck because some dumbass showed up on bald tires, lost control and hit another innocent Miata driver head on. Both Miatas had to be towed away.

There are plenty of other roads all around there that are similar without all the traffic. Also, check out the Topoco on Saturday. This is ground central. Lots of good people and neat Miatas to see.

WARNING: I just heard the cops are out in force. I also heard they have plain-clothes cops with radios all along the dragon right now. Watch your speed and don't cross the double yellows.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

01' and 02', saw wrecks both years. Maybe next year, I can pull off making it back there. Like BR said, plan to stay late or go early, cuz the dragon is nuts and not near as fun on Sat. and Sun.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    01' and 02', saw wrecks both years. Maybe next year, I can pull off making it back there. Like BR said, plan to stay late or go early, cuz the dragon is nuts and not near as fun on Sat. and Sun.
    I was out very early - before 8am - to avoid the traffic. I heard repeated warnings about motorcyclists that like to fly through & cross the center line in the corners.

Didn't see any bears, fuzz, coppers, g-men, etc. while out there with the exception of one sheriff's car about 3 miles before the tail and he was leaving it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!