Thread: Honda/Acura SUV Question

Default Honda/Acura SUV Question

My dad got my mom a Acura MDX last week, he has a 2005 Honda Pilot. Both are running a 3.5 liter V6 with 4 wheel Drive.

Looking at the specs it looks like they run the exact same motor, but Acura recommends premium fuel where the Honda doesn't, Why???

Maybe it's necessary to maintain the Acura's higher horsepower output?

S.

Well the MDX lists for 253 HP and 250 lbs/ft while the Pilot is 244 HP and 240lbs/ft. Maybe they want the extra octane to make a little more power in the same engine. That and it also depends on the actuall tune they are running in the ECUs.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Maybe it's necessary to maintain the Acura's higher horsepower output?

S.
    Damn I was doing research when you posted.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux
    Damn I was doing research when you posted.
    He was just guessing!

I appreciate your research!

Wonder about the HP the 2005 Pilot shows 253 HP, the 2006 MDX shows 255 HP??? So if mom uses the cheap gas she will lose 2 HP??

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I say run regular and save a few pennies in the long run... the Honda/Acura ECU will deal with the difference.
    That's what I said, but the dealer in Austin where they got it said they could destroy the engine if they ran the cheap stuff in it.....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    That's what I said, but the dealer in Austin where they got it said they could destroy the engine if they ran the cheap stuff in it.....
    Same thing was said about the VW!

Of course, they also told me that the underbody would rust without the dealer installed undercoating. I said, "If Dieter didn't feel it was needed when it left Germany, hell if you're doing it... "

It's not like mom will be pushing the performance envelope on her new MDX, she drives a lot like Tim the Teacher only faster.

Her old Lexus had some serious miles on it when she got the MDX, she had racked up almost 21,000 miles in 5 years!

Oh, the specs I gave were for 06s. This year Acura started using the new SAE HP calculation so it actually looks about 6-10 HP less than the 05 calcualtions.
    Example: 2005 Acura RSX Type-S = 210 HP but the 2006 Acura RSX Type-S = 201 HP. Same car, same tune, same engine internals, same gas.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Her old Lexus had some serious miles on it when she got the MDX, she had racked up almost 21,000 miles in 5 years!
    Man that's nothing, it's only 4200 miles a year. My ex's mom has put about 70K on her Explorer in that same time.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

He was just guessing!
    Isn't that how things work around here?

S.

Sounds like my grandmother, when she wrecked her 94 protege in Feb it had 27K on the odo.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

I just sold a car that belonged to my Aunt - a 2003 Buick Park Avenue with 1500 miles.

Of course, I can't remember the last time I owned a car with less than 30k, so...

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Magma
    Sounds like my grandmother, when she wrecked her 94 protege in Feb it had 27K on the odo.
    Moms smart if she is headed out of the DFW area she swipes Dad's vehicle.

It's not like mom will be pushing the performance envelope on her new MDX, she drives a lot like Tim the Teacher only faster.

I had that many miles on the CRV in the first nine months...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw