Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do you use for insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    And Farmer's. I don't know anyone who has actually had to make a claim through Farmer's that would have anything positive to say about them.
    I have had a couple of claims through Farmers and haven't had any issues.

I got all state, 3 cars(2new), a travel trailer, under $200 a month. Was paying more than that with farmers for 2 cars alone.....
    Take life one day at a time......ENJOY IT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Exclamation

Back from the dead...I'm thinking about shopping for better rates again. Anyone have any new insurance stories?

I recently read something that said it's good to shop around every 3 years or so. There are no loyalty discounts in the insurance business.

Rattle your saber with your current insurance guy see what they are willing to do to keep you from shopping around.

Ya get your roof fixed yet??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Ya get your roof fixed yet??
    Nope....still collecting roofer's cards. Need to get some of them out here next week for a quote. (Insurance company already cut me the check)

USAA if you're eligible.

If not, it's easy to get eligible.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    If not, it's easy to get eligible.
    I'm too old to enlist...how else?

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    GMAC here. We've had no issues with them, and their rates were quite a bit lower than State Farm (who wouldn't lower our rates event though we carry their homeowner's insurance - Mick, who is your agent?).
    How's GMAC now?

My how the world has changed in ~3 years.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I'm too old to enlist...how else?
    They've recently increased their age maximums.

Don't know how old you are, but if I did [insert old joke/image here].

Or marry a current USAA member.

Chris

The only other way I know of is if one of your parents was a USAA member at some point, you can use that for eligibility. That's what I'm doing (Dad was a Captain in the Army).
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

..I recently read something that said it's good to shop around every 3 years or so. There are no loyalty discounts in the insurance business.
    Many years ago, I noticed a rate increase on my bill. I had no claims, and when I called them they said it was just a "general rate increase". So I told them I would just generally look around at other carriers.

After a few calls, nobody could touch even the higher rate. They all asked how long I was with my current insurance, and mentioned that was why they could not beat it. So I guess Farmers does/did do some kind of discount for loyalty/longevity.

That was then. A few years ago, I looked around and found cheaper at Gieco and Progressive, etc. Switched from Farmers to Progressive and found the service and billing to be the worst. I've since gone back to Farmers. I like being able to meet face to face and have one stop shopping for all cars and the house (added umbrella after reading about it on mnet and researching).

I put my first claim in this year (Truck got keyed) and it was painless dealing with it. Then a few months ago, I dropped comp/collision on the kids PT and a week later some dipstick plowed into him. Even though I did not have collision on the car, my agent took care of everything and the dipsticks carrier paid for everything including rental car.

I really don't mind paying a bit more if I get some value for it. My agent and his team do all the legwork and take care of me. Costs a bit more, but I'm comfortable that they got my back.

Sometimes the cheapest is just not worth the hassle...

SA

Originally Posted by altiain
    And Farmer's. I don't know anyone who has actually had to make a claim through Farmer's that would have anything positive to say about them.

Hmmm. I guess it really depends on the agent? I guess I've been lucky

I had State Farm for at least 10 years in California. I had shopped around a few times, and nobody could touch the price I had with State Farm. When I moved to Texas, I was told I needed to start over with a new local SF agent. The rate the local SF agent had quoted was about the same as my CA rate, even though my research said that TX rates were generally about 30% lower than CA rates. The SF agent said that it was due to the Customer loyalty discount I was getting in CA that apparently does not carry over across states lines. Put-off by SF, I shopped around and got a rate about 30% lower through Travelers Insurance. I have been told that Travelers rates are based heavily upon your credit score, so YMMV.

I have had Farm Bureau insurance for a long time. I found that AAA had a much better rate on the car insurance, but could not touch the Home owners insurance rates. So far, AAA is the only one that can beat the rates I have got.

Plus, Farm Bureau still offers a home owners deductable as low as $250.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I'm with Progressive, and have been for about 3 years. I've had great service, but my rates have been static for the last year and a half. I may look for a lower rate this next go round.

Best discount-- pay 6 months in one go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    Best discount-- pay 6 months in one go.
    I agree, typically it saves me $40-$80 over the 6 months.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I just called Amica and got a quote. Holy sh*t! Significantly less than we are currently paying for home and auto.

I just called Amica and got a quote. Holy sh*t! Significantly less than we are currently paying for home and auto.
    +1 for Amica, which I checked out after the last time this topic was rehashed here.

Yea I'm on Amica. Think I probably said that already in this thread somewhere. Very good company.

What percentage difference??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast