Thread: Starting Problem

Default Starting Problem

1 out of every 5 times I go to start the car it will not start on the first try. Put the key in turn the ignition and nothing. No clicks, all I get is a hum coming from the fuel pump. I turn the key a few more times then finally starts.

I have tested the battery and it’s good. I’ve replaced the starter, and I’ve replaced the ignition switch.

So, what now? Starter relay maybe?

I noticed you were having a prob a few Wed nights ago.

Yea, when Magma thought he was gonna have to give me a push.

Any ideas?

Might also want to check the interlock switch, maybe put a little dielectic grease on it.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

What's the interlock switch?

Bad clutch switch? Do you have one of these?

No, I don't.. Would I have to pull the tranny?

Quote Originally Posted by JDMClassic View Post
    No, I don't.. Would I have to pull the tranny?

I think it is under the dash... 10 minute job.

I'll order one today..
    Don't order that crap from FM... it's much easier to pull that crap-o-riffic switch out entirely and hardwire its replacement.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yea, I just talked to Mark at FM. He said that if my switch is going bad the over-ride clip more than likely would NOT solve the problem. He suggested I cut the wires behind the switch and splice the 2 wires together. Which is what they used to do before someone came up with the bypass clip.

Yea, I just talked to Mark at FM. He said that if my switch is going bad the over-ride clip more than likely would NOT solve the problem. He suggested I cut the wires behind the switch and splice the 2 wires together. Which is what they used to do before someone came up with the bypass clip.
    Cool. Glad you called instead of online ordered. Funniest part when I removed mine was that one of the nuts holding it in place had fallen off.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Thanks guys, I just hope this solves the issue.

Do you have a lot of keys on your key ring?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I might need to try that. I was having the same issue on my 99 about a year ago. I made a homemade switch bypass, and the problem went away, but it has creeped back...

I have taken out the clutch/starter interlock switch and fused the wires together.
    I have not had a miss start since.

I have taken out the clutch/starter interlock switch and fused the wires together.
    I have not had a miss start since.
    Good to hear, I guess that is officially on my todo list.

Yep, exactly what I did to my old Nissan truck in high school after I found out Nissan wanted around $130 for the stupid switch!

*You might want to double check the terminals on the battery. For some reason, the clamps on mine only fit say 90% tight on my battery terminals causing me to have the same problem once in a while.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Default Dohhh!!!!!!!!

Well, it's back.. every once in a while it still won't start on the first try. Turn the ignition and nothing, all I get is a hum coming from the fuel pump. I turn the key a few (5 or 6) more times then starts right up.

Checked/Cleaned battery cables
    Tested battery
    Replaced starter
    Replaced ignition switch
    Removed clutch interlock

Also, I have a Bipes installed. Could there be an intermitten short in the unit that may be the cause? If not what else should I check?