Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want a 52" RCA Paperweight?

Default Anyone want a 52" RCA Paperweight?

Well, after 5 years of faithful service, my 52" RCA big screen took a dump. I search of the internet on troubleshooting it only return a handful of people who spent hundreds trying to have it repaired only to have it die again within weeks, so I think it is time to replace it.

I really don't care for the BEST picture, as it sees mostly cartoons... I suspect anything I buy today will look better than my 5 year old set and should keep us happy. 52" seemed to be a good size for us to... I would consider going up to a 56" but nothing much bigger than that. I'm thinking I would like to spend < $1200. Questions:

1) Set suggestions?

2) Where to buy?

3) Any specific features recommended?

4) Any brands to avoid?

5) Anyone want a 52" RCA paperweight?

Listen to Sammm, his TV looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    D L P.
    Looks like Circuit City has a 50" RCA DLP on sale for $1299, but then I need to get a stand too.

I wish I had room in the shop... I'd take it off your hands and fix it just to have one in my workshop. I need to sell some arcade games first.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Looks like Circuit City has a 50" RCA DLP on sale for $1299, but then I need to get a stand too.
    720 is old school go for the 1080 It's only
    and your money at that
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    720 is old school go for the 1080 It's only
    and your money at that

Well, I could go CRT Projection for less money and get 1080. Is DLP 720 better than 1080 CRT? This one is $400 less AND I don't need a stand. Hmmm. Do I really need DLP for cartoon duty?

I have a friend that works on TV's for a living. He told me to shy away from DLP. Reason, $400 bulb replacement after about a year.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Talking

Would I sound pointy if I said to do a Search???

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Would I sound pointy if I said to do a Search???
    Been there, done that... The other threads were for people willing to spend more. I am looking TCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Been there, done that... The other threads were for people willing to spend more. I am looking TCB.
    Why not go old school for around $800.00, Spongebob may not notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    I have a friend that works on TV's for a living. He told me to shy away from DLP. Reason, $400 bulb replacement after about a year.
    Bull Sh$T.... if your friend is paying/charging $400 for a bulb he's an idiot/criminal...

Most of the DLP's are taking a bulb that can be easily found online for ~$150-200 and are user replacible. And they only need it about every 4 year with normal home viewing.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Why not go old school for around $800.00, Spongebob may not notice.
    Thats what I'm thinking. It is the same size and brand as the old one, plus adds widscreen and HD (in case I ever decide to upgrade my satellite service). I'm trying to think of a way I can justify spending more but it is hard knowing I have little interest in adding HD service, I am lucky if I watch one of my DVDs a month, and my eyes are pretty bad. I have always put a high value on audio quality while paying little attention to the picture.

His cost 6 months ago, when I last talked to him about it, was 275 for the bulb from RCA. He has been getting about 5 a week from Aarons in Sherman. I dont know how much his shop rate is.

Edit: On second thought, that price was probably last year. I don't go to his shop as often as I used to.
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 09-06-2006 at 08:50 PM.

BTW I have seen many brand new sets from RCA come in to his shop that weren't working out if the box. Most of his repairs are warrenty work.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    BTW I have seen many brand new sets from RCA come in to his shop that weren't working out if the box. Most of his repairs are warrenty work.
    That could explain a lot... DON'T BUY RCA... Samsung and Mitsubishi are my favorites...

Also you said a lot of his business was from Aarons... that also explains a lot... people renting TV's aren't likely to let them have their cool down like they need... it can really shorten a bulb's life.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

SONY rear-projection LCD. I got the 50" earlier this year. Great TV! Zero regrets.

I got a TCB deal from the guy on the board who work(ed) for Best Buy. I think the 'normal' price is down to what I paid now. I'm sure you could score it cheaper off the internet. Once you see a sporting event in HD you can't go back.

5 years for the life of a tv. That's just sad. Our first tv (before I was born) lasted more than 20 years. My little Sanyo 25" is going on at least 7 or 8. Sad that so many things are disposible these days.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Yeah, don't buy an RCA.

RCA was bought out by Thompson (French company) & they use the brand name to market in the US.

They have the highest repair rate in the industry.
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

I bought a 52in Toshiba DLP last year and I love it.
    The guy at Best Buy tried to tell me the same thing, that the bulbs cost 300.
    He also said the Toshibas have the brightest burning bulbs of all the sets out at that time.
    I only use mine for movies,...its sort of funny when people come over and see a 2200. tv with a coax/Coke can antena
    99 Miata Black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast