Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Region Solo2 Meeting

Default Texas Region Solo2 Meeting

I just noticed that the date changed from tomorrow until the 11th. How many people are going on a regular basis?

I'll probably be there. Tom has an agenda for this meeting, so some input from members might be welcomed on some of the proposals.

Here's the agenda:

· Registration – Is there a significant change in the number of pre-registered entrants for the remaining events this year? If not, then who can suggest a way to get more people to do so, other than what I mentioned at the last two events driver’s meetings. Any ideas to get people to do this?

· Driver’s Meeting – I will cover the very basic stuff in these meetings beginning with this month’s event, however, I will have a separate meeting again with the newbies and novices immediately afterwards like last month’s meeting. I will also be mentioning the “NO SHOWS” [Chris Jennings - TSS99, Freddie Ortiz – ESP29, Anthony Svada – CSP 121, Tony Accaoui in CSP, Bernie Allen in CSP] for worker assignments as well, and those seven so far that I know of, have had their times DSQ’d for those events and for the year end awards. Plus, we had two in a Corvette at the TMS event that also fall into that category. I want to ensure that in Registration, that we have those names/numbers prominently displayed somewhere so both can see those names and IF they do show up again, I want to be called immediately to the trailer to TALK to them, however, I seriously doubt any of them will show. But, in case they do, I want to make very very sure that they do not get to run without working two heats first.

Also, I will announce that any of those who did not show, if they want to run with us again, MUST WORK TWO consecutive heats BEFORE they can make even one run in their cars, period. If they choose not to do so, then they don’t ever run with us again … unless they want to do what I have mandated. This went across very well at the trophy presentations last month, applauding was rampant, so the majority of folks like this idea.

· October TMS Event on the Road Course –
    - Does everyone here on the BOD agree that the basic requirement to run at TMS in October is to to have run at least three events this year, with the SCCA events?
    - DEFINITELY do online registration.
    - CLOSE registration one full week prior to the event, make very sure it is closed/capped at what number? 175 or 200?
    - Remember, this event is the last weekend prior to changing back to regular time. If you are a yearly paid member, you will be required to CALL David Dennis, “IF” and only “IF”, you are not going to make the event that month.
    - All yearly paid members will be automatically entered in all events, BUT, again, we need to know if you are not going to show.

· On-Line Registration – For the next October TMS event on the road course, let’s make very, very, very sure it’s cutoff at 200 max, period, no walkups, no additions, no add-ons, no one else, as that is the weekend when it goes back to regular time and we need to be out of there nlt 5:00 pm?

· Trained and Identify Computer Operators – Okay, where do we stand right now Phil with how many trained folks for the timing and scoring? Also, Lauren and John, please make sure that there is no one inside that trailer anywhere near the computer or timers that do not know what or how to do and fix things. Make sure that everyone knows that if there is a constant beeping, the timing lights are not working correctly.

· Timer reliability – Phil Osborne, do we have those new light heads for the timing lights? If so, then we need to make very sure that all the systems work right, BEFORE the August 15th event, which is this coming weekend, since today is the 11th!!! Once again, if anyone that is helping unload the trailer, please be sure that the batteries of any kind are NOT ON THE GROUND anywhere and please, DO NOT LEAVE the batteries lying around, on the ground otherwise.

· Novice Trainers – It is imperative that both Tommy and Kei take turns in each of the four remaining heats to ensure that every new Novice (or one that seems to get lost) has an experienced driver with them to avoid what nearly happened at the first event. Tommy, you definitely need to be around for at least two of the heats please, as Kei was there by himself last event. And both of you please make your presence known to those who might need or want help or a rider who knows where to go and what to do. Just one too many wild ones out there, just too dangerous to allow that sort of running wild on course like that. We can’t afford for Peter’s blood pressure to escalate too high anymore this year. J J J

· Grid – Please continue to remind everyone at the Driver’s Meeting, and have the Grid Marshalls also remind each competitor that leaves for their first runs, to get back into their original spot in grid (or as near to it as possible) to avoid someone trying to take the next run earlier.

· Additional GRID – Peter Fehn will be solely responsible for keeping people out of areas with their cars that they aren’t supposed to be in.

· Class Postings in Heat/Run Order – Lauren & John, “PLEASE” continue to have someone assigned during each heat to either post or write down times on the boards, which is what they are out there for.

· LOADING THE TRAILER – It is of the utmost importance to make sure that we have at least two or three people assigned as their worker assignment to help load the trailer as it is just not fair to Gavin to do it all the time. And, this last event, both Greg and Phil loaded the trailer by themselves while most of us that remained were at the trophy presentations. This event, and from now on, the trophies will NOT be presented until the trailer is loaded and ready to go, period. Only fair thing to do for all concerned and you might actually get more people willing to throw in their hands too.

· Heat Assignment – Please ensure that NO NOVICES are posted anywhere on course by themselves, in grid, etc.

· BODs – Please “continue” to wear your white caps!!!

· HORN – The bullhorn that I purchased can actually be heard across the back part of the lot, so I will continue to use it as such.

· QUESTIONS? COMMENTS? OTHER?

Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm planning on being a regular at these meetings, and this one in particular. Some of these hit pretty close to home.

- Does everyone here on the BOD agree that the basic requirement to run at TMS in October is to to have run at least three events this year, with the SCCA events?
    This one I don't like... I skip SCCA events due to the fact that I can not spend all day at a SCCA event and still make it to work on time.

Nuts to that!

Then show up and voice your opinion. Personally, I feel that if there is to be a cap, it should be SCCA or ER events, since they use an almost identical format, and someone who has run with ER three times won't be confused at an SCCA event.

However, I personally don't agree that there should be a Novice cap on the TMS event. Novices weren't the source of the biggest problems at the previous TMS event, and I doubt they will be at this one. One thing I do agree is that there should be a hard and fast entry cap at this event - at all Texas Region events, for that matter. It's not worth it to me to come out for only three runs when we have 200+ people, and that's happened twice so far this year.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Then show up and voice your opinion.
    Where and when? I'll try to be there!

...there should be a hard and fast entry cap at this event - at all Texas Region events, for that matter. It's not worth it to me to come out for only three runs when we have 200+ people, and that's happened twice so far this year.
    Agreed!

So the meeting is now the 11th?? I'm game!

You know it gets kind of old to keep beating the "Novice Drum" all the time. I don't see them as being the cause of all the problems. YMMV

BTW. Haven’t there now been 3 SCCA events where we have only gotten 3 runs?

A lot of the SCCA problems will dissipate on there own due to discouraged folks not coming back, they go thought cycles and they may be at the verge of decline in participation. Which is not all together a bad thing!

· Registration – Is there a significant change in the number of pre-registered entrants for the remaining events this year? If not, then who can suggest a way to get more people to do so, other than what I mentioned at the last two events driver’s meetings. Any ideas to get people to do this?
    Put a hard cap on the number of walkup entries. I worked registration last year, and the thing that really slowed things down was waiting to mark down the car numbers of all the walkup registrants. There is only one sheet with available car numbers, and the person that is marking them down is also doing the pre-registered entrants. This also added to the confusion that you see at the registration table. We would of course have to announce the change ahead of time, and post it on the website, but this will definately force people to pre-register.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    BTW. Haven’t there now been 3 SCCA events where we have only gotten 3 runs?
    Correct me if I'm wrong But didn't we get just 3 runs for the following events.
    • Event #1
      Event #4
      Event #5

5 was three runs too

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I know #4 (TMS Road course) was only 3 runs.

Here's the meeting INFO. Unfortunately, it's Wednesday night at 7:30p... right in the middle of my work day.

How many of you kids preregister for SCCA Events at http://www.dlbracing.com/Default.aspx? I have plugged my name in for the rest of the SCCA AX season.

Give it a try it's fun! You can always opt out if your schedule changes!

How many of you kids preregister for SCCA Events at http://www.dlbracing.com/Default.aspx? I have plugged my name in for the rest of the SCCA AX season.

I did the same thing after last event.

Quote Originally Posted by brock

And Tom doesn't think we listen!

The problem is that most people are just too lazy to pre-register. The thing that they do no realize is that the line is shorter and moves quicker. Another thing that we can try is to have 2 pre-register lines and one long walk-up registration line. People may start getting the hint really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by brock

I did for the October games after the last TMS event....

I've pre-registered for all of the events so far this year.

One thing that would really speed up Registration (and therefore Tech, which can't finish until everyone registers and gets their car to Tech) would be to require ALL entrants to pre-register.

I'm game for it, and I'm willing to suggest it at the meeting. Anyone else in favor?
    Iain

I've pre-registered for all of the events so far this year.

One thing that would really speed up Registration (and therefore Tech, which can't finish until everyone registers and gets their car to Tech) would be to require ALL entrants to pre-register.

I'm game for it, and I'm willing to suggest it at the meeting. Anyone else in favor?
    I'm in support of that. I also support having a low number of walkup registrations availible. Like 25-30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast