Thread: TMS Race Report

Default TMS Race Report

Thought I would post a little of what went on Saturday at the DBL. Regional. ( Didn't run Sunday grandaughter got baptised.)
    This event seemed almost like the old days of unoffical SM racing. Back when Shannon, the Racer Network boys, Ony, Bob and Mad Merv ran in the IT/SRX7run group in our SMs that were just becoming a class of their own. My son-in-law and myself towed out to TMS Saturday morning unloaded the car torqued the wheels, checked the air, the fluids and never did another thing but repeat it after qualifying. No fenders to beat out or tires to change etc. I qualified 2nd in ITA (9th overall) behind another miata at 1:42.
    In the race I got a very nice start and moved ahead of all but two ITE cars (Porsche 911 & BMW M3) going into the chicane. By the turn into the infield a couple more cars had caught me (Audi A4 & 300ZX) and I diced with the A4 through the infield and got back on the oval in front of him. On the oval he aired it out and was gone. I was left to do battle with a very fast Neon that basically was like a slower version of the A4 as I was quicker in the infield but way down on power on the oval. I would hve about three or four car lengths on him getting on the oval only to have him pass me on the banking in the middle of T3/T4. After afew laps of this he pulled away to finish about 12 seconds in the lead. After I came to terms with the realization that I was not going to catch him I settled down and worked on staying ahead of the Hondas, (they are faster on the oval too) RX7s and the other miatas. I was able to make real clean passes on some of the slower ITS & ITE cars along with some of the lapped IT cars to hold on to second by about 5 or 6 seconds. Overall finish was 6th out of 39 starters with only three of the ITE and one ITS cars ahead of myself and the Neon ITA car. I had a blast running with different type cars that have different advantages from each other. I never had contact although the racing in the infield was close. I felt very encouraged about converting the SM to full bore ITA for 07. Maybe a permanent number change from 13 to 19 had something to do with it, but it was really fun to be contending.
    ARRC at RAtlanta in November will be a totally different playing field in both SM and ITA, but as it is my favorite track I always enjoy racingthere.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Sweet! Sounds like it was a good race!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Congrats! Keep the reports coming in November.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

When did a 1.8 move to ITA?

This year, at #2380.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER

Did the other Miata look like this? That's my boss.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    [IMG]Did the other Miata look like this? That's my boss.
    Your boss is Bob Stretch??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Your boss is Bob Stretch??
    Yes, I work for Wheels America.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

I saw that car there sunday too.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Yes, I work for Wheels America.
    ray was one of the guys there (as were a bunch of us) when we did the engine swap with Evilspeeder at Bob's place in DWG.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    ray was one of the guys there (as were a bunch of us) when we did the engine swap with Evilspeeder at Bob's place in DWG.
    Opps really, that seems like ages ago! Hey Ray!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Opps really, that seems like ages ago! Hey Ray!
    IIRC, he was the guy who had the video camera set up.

Did the other Miata look like this? That's my boss.
    That Pic sure looks like the 1.6 one of my driving partners rolled at Thunderhill25HR a couple of years ago. The crew (including Evilspeeder) got it back together and we made the grid. Other than a stop for a new battery and a new alternator we were still going at the end and showed pretty well.
    Mac

Yup. The tall guy = me

IIRC, he was the guy who had the video camera set up.
    Too bad the battery died right as we started putting it back in the car.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Too bad the battery died right as we started putting it back in the car.
    For those of you totally lost (and care that you're lost), here's the write-up from said event (complete with pics of the cast). 2 years ago! Hard to believe!

http://www.dfwmiata.com/content/view/44/42/