Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCCA #8 - 10/15/2006 - TMS Road Course

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

80% chance of rain. Bring your wet suit. McD's anyone?

Weak!!!

Well the RX8 has built in rain mode....its called under 6000RPMs :) No problem mang

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    80% chance of rain. Bring your wet suit. McD's anyone?
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    Weak!!!

Well the RX8 has built in rain mode....its called under 6000RPMs :) No problem mang
    It's got ABS and traction/stability control as well, which ought to help if it's really wet.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

You remember to unregister if you are going to back out.

Looks like a light turn out and that makes it harder on the worker chief.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I'll try to make McDonalds.

Looks like I better get the Shoe Goo out tonight and get to work on any new holes in my top... or just drill holes in the floor to let the water out.

Mineral Wells still has a little grip in the rain. The TMS bus lot has none at all in the rain. Where does the TMS road course fall?

Standing water in a couple of places, pretty slick. Think of a drifting event. It should be a blast....
    A Z06 is just like a Miata, but with the other half of the motor . . .

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What a miserable freakin' day. Fun course, nice to see everyone, yada yada yada. The weather took center stage and it inhaled vigorously.
    Glad the heavy rain waited for 3rd heat while I was working. Even with a motorcycle rain jacket on I was soaked from head to toe.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    What a miserable freakin' day. Fun course, nice to see everyone, yada yada yada. The weather took center stage and it inhaled vigorously.
    Glad the heavy rain waited for 3rd heat while I was working. Even with a motorcycle rain jacket on I was soaked from head to toe.
    Probably not as soaked as the guy riding the motorcycle that I saw on the way home. Fun times, weather sucked. Just my hands and feet were really wet, everything else mildly damp.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Probably not as soaked as the guy riding the motorcycle that I saw on the way home. Fun times, weather sucked. Just my hands and feet were really wet, everything else mildly damp.
    Third that. Weather really sucked nuts today. For living in an area under severe drought conditions, I certainly seem to have done a lot of racing in the rain this year.

Running in 3rd heat was miserable. We left the traction and stability control on, and even with all of the electronic nannies the car was still barely driveable. I finally managed a clean run on my last run (as did Jon and miata_racer - all of the rest of our runs were dirty), but it was more by sheer luck that the car happened to be pointed in the right direction when it found (a little) traction than through any skill.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I hydroplaned more going home than on course

I really should have put the 100's on before coming out to play
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

For a rainy ugly day, I have to admit that the overall race went pretty well. We did not even have to wait an extra 15 minutes at the end of heat three for the mod drivers to finish up.

I noticed none of the Esprit drivers were on the course. Probably afraid of the Elises.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    For a rainy ugly day, I have to admit that the overall race went pretty well.
    I noticed you had to work the radio for 2 corners since mine kept conking out. But I think you missed calling on Jon and Iain's final runs.

So many cars, so little time. - RIP

Jon had the coolest DNF I have ever seen in corner 4, 3rd heat.

He came in too hot to the first gate going up the hill, missed the right side cone at the gate, whacked 1 of 3 pointers and whooshed off to the next gate. We all tried to figure out how he fit thru there and hit only one pointer.

Or as Matt said at the driver's meeting, "If you hit a pointer and not the gate's cone you're in big trouble".
    Jim H.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLO2EVO View Post
    Jon had the coolest DNF I have ever seen in corner 4, 3rd heat.
    There were a lot of good DNFs and cone murders out there. I have never clapped at more people in one race!

BTW, we talked about smacking the wall before the race, the guy in the white HS (?) Civic came within about 5 feet from the wall. Whereas other spins would have us whooping and clapping, the three of us went dead silent when it looked like he was going to hit it. Glad he was able to stop in time.

I was none too happy about my spins, but as mad as I get, when I see the corner workers giving me applause, it kind of feels better. It at least brings a smile back to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    There were a lot of good DNFs and cone murders out there. I have never clapped at more people in one race!

BTW, we talked about smacking the wall before the race, the guy in the white HS (?) Civic came within about 5 feet from the wall. Whereas other spins would have us whooping and clapping, the three of us went dead silent when it looked like he was going to hit it. Glad he was able to stop in time.

I was none too happy about my spins, but as mad as I get, when I see the corner workers giving me applause, it kind of feels better. It at least brings a smile back to my face.
    From my angle he was even closer. The wall juts out and he missed that by about 5 feet but he was still going pretty quick there. I didnt realize he was that close to hitting the other wall too. It was scary. My favorite spin was the 240. I saw the passenger had a camera and was taking pictures of the dash. I muttered stupid ricers under my breath and then the guy put it into the dirt. Good times.

Pictures are up, courtesy of Dennis and AutocrossPictures.net.
    Iain

At least you can't see the look of terror in my eyes in that pic :)

Holy hell I had to remember where the car was not going to turn. I rode with Iain on his first run and it was like....ok grip....oh crap oh crap oh crap we're gonna die we're gonna....oh jesus we're alive....oh crap its not turning again.....ok nevermind.

Fun on the next 3 runs though. But the first one made me wanna quit autocrossing LOL I do love that RX8 though Thanks again for the drive...I'd love to drive it again in the dry though

David

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Pictures are up, courtesy of Dennis and AutocrossPictures.net.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    At least you can't see the look of terror in my eyes in that pic :)

Holy hell I had to remember where the car was not going to turn. I rode with Iain on his first run and it was like....ok grip....oh crap oh crap oh crap we're gonna die we're gonna....oh jesus we're alive....oh crap its not turning again.....ok nevermind.

David
    Yeah, that first run without the DSC on, I really thought I was going to put it into the wall at some point. I breathed a sigh of relief every time I saw David come through the lefthander on the back side of the track, thinking "okay, he made it past all of the barricades without hitting anything. Now just don't put it in the mud..."

You're definitely welcome to co-drive again the next time you're in town. Hopefully the weather will be better!
    Iain

Well, I had a ton of fun. I'm not real sure what my best time was, so I'm kind of anxious to see the results.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Results were just emailed out, I hope I did this right. I suck at the internet
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast