Thread: Rent a miata?

Default Rent a miata?

Started a new gig last week at http://www.dfweliteautorental.com/

It's good to be back working in a business that deals with cars. My office door looks out on a Ferrari 430, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Elise, and a lot of other sweet stuff.

So I was talking with the owner today about my car, and he mentioned he's had some requests to rent miatas. I think it's a good idea, especially one of the new hardtops. No D.E.'s or track time though...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Shoefly; 10-11-2006 at 12:23 PM.
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoefly View Post
    Started a new gig last week at http://www.dfweliteautorental.com/

It's good to be back working in a business that deals with cars. My office door looks out on a Ferrari 430, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Elise, and a lot of other sweet stuff.

So I was talking with the owner today about my car, and he mentioned he's had some requests to rent miatas. I think it's a good idea, especially one of the new hardtops. No D.E.'s or track time though...

Thoughts?
    Thinking of offering a discount to MME members?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Depends on cost... You can rent Miatas through Hertz.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I spent a week north of LA in 1994 and rented a Miata, first 1.8 I had driven. Every day after work, I would head up the mountains 'till it got dark. What a hoot, even if it was an automatic! There is a market.

Speaking of Automatic transmission car rentals.

My boss rented a car over in England a few years back. She didn't specify automatic and recieved a stick shift. Luckily for her, she still drove a Subaru stick up until the engine blew 6 months ago.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

There's a market. Tell him to do it! Sure won't lose any money.

Congrats on the new job.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Assuming that you would be charging about the same as what you charge to rent the Solstice, it may be a pretty hard sell when you could get one from Hertz for 1/4th the price. I would recommend sticking to cars that regular rental places won't touch.

Yeah... and since we're talking price... let's not forget this little gem on the Solstice...

100 miles included, $0.50 per additional mile
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Yeah... and since we're talking price... let's not forget this little gem on the Solstice...
    That's enough for 58 laps on the 1.7 at MSR!!!!!!!!!!

Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder

$2,100
    24 hr. period Monday-Thursday

$2,450
    24 hr. period Friday-Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Speaking of Automatic transmission car rentals.

My boss rented a car over in England a few years back. She didn't specify automatic and recieved a stick shift. Luckily for her, she still drove a Subaru stick up until the engine blew 6 months ago.

Thankfully, most of the cars are manuals (especially the 430)! Which is nice, considering more than half of the press cars we'd get at Texas Driver were auto!
    '97 FMII (previously)

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Assuming that you would be charging about the same as what you charge to rent the Solstice, it may be a pretty hard sell when you could get one from Hertz for 1/4th the price. I would recommend sticking to cars that regular rental places won't touch.
    I wasn't even aware that Hertz rented them (second week here..). I looked at their website for DFW and didn't see it listed anywhere, although I'm guessing they rent them out of other locations.
    '97 FMII (previously)

Quote Originally Posted by JDMClassic View Post
    Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder

$2,100
    24 hr. period Monday-Thursday

$2,450
    24 hr. period Friday-Sunday

Yea, that's a chunk of change. Some of the others are pretty reasonable though.

New Viper - $375
    Elise - $350
    New Z06 - $450
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage - $1150
    Ferrari F430 - $1650
    '97 FMII (previously)

Yea, that's a chunk of change. Some of the others are pretty reasonable though.

New Viper - $375
    Elise - $350
    New Z06 - $450
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage - $1150
    Ferrari F430 - $1650
    Yea, those are probably do-able.. we'll maybe not the F430 or the Vantage. It's been a childhood dream of mine to cruse around in a Ferrari or Lamborghini for a day, but not for half of what I paid for my turbo setup.
    Last edited by JDMClassic; 10-11-2006 at 01:34 PM.

I wasn't even aware that Hertz rented them (second week here..). I looked at their website for DFW and didn't see it listed anywhere, although I'm guessing they rent them out of other locations.
    Wow... looks like you are right... DFW Hertz doesn't have them. I know that the Sacramento Airport Hertz has them as I had considered getting one from them last summer until I realized we would have the kid with us too. They have the NC Miata (as well as a 350Z) listed as part of their "Fun Collection". The Miata is $399 a week and the Z is $499 a week.

Wasn't sure on Dallas - They have 'em out here in San Jose. I almost rented one until I got the 350Z for a week at a killer price.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by JDMClassic View Post
    Yea, those are probably do-able.. we'll maybe not the F430 or the Vantage. It's been a childhood dream of mine to cruse around in a Ferrari or Lamborghini for a day, but not for half of what I paid for my turbo setup.
    I hear ya. Check back with me in a couple weeks. :)
    '97 FMII (previously)

I hear ya. Check back with me in a couple weeks. :)
    you bet

Thoughts?
    Rent a Wreck (of all places) in Austin used to keep a few Miatae around. I once had a base 1996, later got an Emerald '99 LS, both manual trans. At the time, both cars were around 1 yr old, and were renting for ~$50 a day, 100 or 150 miles/day included.

At those prices, they kept the fleet busy. Seems like I've seen a couple of places in CA that rent them these days - again at around $50 a day, 100 or so miles free. I'd think you'd find plenty of takers if you kept the rates reasonable.

Craig
    '96 M-edition

Man, the bf should have just kept his Viper and just rented it out instead of selling it and buying a house.